HELP, street flooded out and stopped my STI :( - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
HELP, street flooded out and stopped my STI :(
HELP, street flooded out and stopped my STI :(
Go Back   STI Forums > > > HELP, street flooded out and stopped my STI :(

Old 06-16-19, 07:41 PM   #1
Parky50
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: DMG 12 WRX STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Parky50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy HELP, street flooded out and stopped my STI :(

Hello All,

I got caught in a downpour and the intersection was flooded much deeper than I thought.
I entered the intersection in 2nd gear relativly slow and was going ok and it got deep and stalled out. The starter is not turning the motor over just a strange whining noise.

I have never experienced hydrolock before but maybe this is what has happened?

I got a flatbed tow truck to get me back to the house. My question is what should do next?
Let it dry out for a few days and see if it will crank? I know the oil needs changed first thing. Or should I just get it towed to a shop and have them go through it?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated !!!

Thanks,
Parky
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-19, 09:21 PM   #2
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: HELP, street flooded out and stopped my STI :(

Pull the spark plugs before cranking it. If there is water in the cylinders it can escape from the spark plug ports. If the engine was in fact hydro-locked then do a compression check. I think I've heard it's possible engines can survive under light load, but hydrostatic lock under heavy load usually bends things.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-16-19, 09:40 PM   #3
Traffic22
Becoming A Contributor

Car: WRB 2019 Sti Limited
Fav Mod: JDM Anti-Glare Mirrors
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Traffic22 is an unknown quantity at this point

The whining noise in the starter could also be a fried solenoid, not engaging the starter.

Don’t know a lot about water in engines, but water will short electronics for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-19, 03:25 AM   #4
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
Pull the spark plugs before cranking it. If there is water in the cylinders it can escape from the spark plug ports. If the engine was in fact hydro-locked then do a compression check. I think I've heard it's possible engines can survive under light load, but hydrostatic lock under heavy load usually bends things.

Yes you are correct in that statement. I too have gotten other engines that have hydrolocked before to run. Sometime they run ok and sometimes they dont.

To the OP, i would remove the plugs and try to spin the engine by hand to see if you can get any water out. Then try cranking it. Replace the spark plugs and air filter. Change the oil and then attempt to start the engine. Its also possible the starter could have shorted due to water. If you do manage to get the engine to run, it may not be a bad idea to do a compression/leakdown just to verify engine health.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-17-19, 04:15 AM   #5
adamfl
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 05STi psm stage2
Fav Mod: DO IT!, DO IT!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

adamfl is an unknown quantity at this point

do you have a CAI that would have sucked up water?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-17-19, 04:55 AM   #6
Parky50
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks all for the suggestions thus far...

I will pull the plugs and see if any water comes out as well as pull the CAI and dry it out as well.

Yes, I have a AEM CAI that likely pulled in water.
The water level was at the bottom of the doors, so the exhaust was also under water too.

It was in the water for about 20 minutes before I got help pushing it out of the flooded intersection.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-17-19, 04:56 AM   #7
Parky50
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

<duplicate>
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-17-19, 05:57 AM   #8
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
Yes you are correct in that statement. I too have gotten other engines that have hydrolocked before to run. Sometime they run ok and sometimes they don't.
Right. A buddy with an old XJ did a water crossing and though it ran for a bit after hydrolock it ended up throwing a rod.

Then there was another guy I met on the same trail at a different time with a 6.5L diesel powered FJ40. That thing was some feat of engineering. Anyway the turbo inlet tube wasn't secured and fell into the river. It sucked up the water and locked hard. We pulled the glow plugs and cranked it.That was some nasty water that came out of there. After we got it back together it ran perfect. I figure it takes a lot more to bend a diesel.

I guess the only SNAFU was since I didn't know much about diesels and neither did the owner we didn't pull the glow plugs at first. I asked if they went into the cylinders and he said no. So we pulled an injector. Well we pulled the top off anyway. When he cranked it 27 small pieces of the mechanical injector went airborne and landed in the sand. We had to pull the rest of that injector, then another injector so I could figure out how the bits went back together. After pulling the whole injector we realized the glow plugs would work to evacuate the water. So he pulled the rest of the glow plugs while I found all the pieces then disassembled the second injector. I managed to find them all with a magnet, clean them with Brakleen then reassemble both injectors. I want to say that all took something like 12 hours on the sandy banks of the Platte river.

Last edited by SubySal; 06-17-19 at 12:13 PM.
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 06-17-19, 07:34 AM   #9
BootsJunkie
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Car: '05 WRB STi
Fav Mod: JDM V8 seats
My Subaru Parts for sale

BootsJunkie will become famous soon enough

I did the same exact thing last year with my DD, TL Type-S, also with a CAI. The puddle killed the engine around ~5mph, and I tried starting it about 2-3 more times just to see if I could drive her out She also spent around ~20minutes in the water.

I was 300% positive that I was needing to rebuild/replace the engine myself so I begun the trouble-shooting and diagnosing myself.
Step 1) pull plugs.
Step 2) Put a wrench and socket on the crank pulley, and try to spin it by hand. If you can make a couple revolutions by hand you'll most likely be out the woods. Then you can continue cranking her via starter to shoot all the water out of the engine.
BUT... If it comes to a HARD stop while spinning by hand, you might as well start pulling the engine now. Orrrrr keep on reading....

But the silver lining in my case, is that INSURANCE FRIGGING COVERED ME!!!! (GEICO)
A claims adjuster came to inspect the car and I already had half the engine disassembled at that point, fully expecting not to be covered, she looked at the air filter and even said "ut oh, the air filter is dripping wet, that's most likely not a good sign" which is why I didn't keep my hopes up.
Luckily I remained patient while they decided (I had 2 other cars to drive at the time) and that was the best call I've ever received, saying I was covered

*edit* also right now time is of the UTMOST essence in case there is water inside the engine, you want to get it out as SOON as possible!! Not wait a couple days.
And if you do see evidence of water you'll want to pour something water displaceable (WD40, Marvel Mystery oil, regular oil, etc) to prevent rusting ASAP.

Last edited by BootsJunkie; 06-17-19 at 08:01 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-20-19, 04:53 AM   #10
Traffic22
Becoming A Contributor

Car: WRB 2019 Sti Limited
Fav Mod: JDM Anti-Glare Mirrors
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Traffic22 is an unknown quantity at this point

So did you manage to get it started? Any damage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement