custom oil cooler bracket installed
custom oil cooler bracket installed
Go Back   STI Forums > > > custom oil cooler bracket installed

Old 04-28-19, 01:52 AM   #1
dlheman
Advanced Contributor Level 5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 WRX STI UK-Type
Fav Mod: S206 NBR chassis package and R205 Spec-C VF56 twinscroll turbo.
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

dlheman will become famous soon enough
Default custom oil cooler bracket installed

I've been wanting to use my Setrab oil cooler so I decided to take Process West oil cooler mount as an inspiration as I no longer like low mounting location.

I did some measurement and the 5cm thick Setrab will just fit behind the upper grill. Got to be mindful towards the hood release as it will be very close.

So on with the mock up for the mount.

Bumper on, and looks good.

So I called up a stainless steel welder and he came by to re confirm the measurement. We probably run over the measurement 5 times as it needs to be very precise or else it will hit the front upper grill duct or the bonnet release spring.

Today the welder came and he actually polished the bracket. Wow, ok I guess I won't be needing to paint it then

3 points mounting for strong and secure mount.

Insert the Setrab oil cooler rubber mount on each corner and insert the oil cooler. Perfect.

Moment of truth; put the bumper back on and secure the upper mount. It fits like a glove.

All good.

Next week is time to connect the oil cooler to the engine.

Last edited by dlheman; 04-28-19 at 02:02 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-19, 08:11 PM   #2
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: custom oil cooler bracket installed

So got new fastener for the oil cooler and I am thinking I should cut out the middle part of the grill.

Like this (area inside the red line):

Last edited by dlheman; 04-29-19 at 09:00 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-04-19, 01:42 AM   #3
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Installation day: success!

But not all went as planned. The oil sandwich adapter for the oil tempt sensor needs a new gasket, and the wire for the oil temperature sensor is too short also. Bummer. So unfortunately that will have to sorted at a later date.

The braided hose is from previous install where the cooler is mounted on the front left. Because I am now using twinscroll manifold, the route will have to go from the right side of the car and thankfully the hoses fits with enough slack. I Had to change the fitting from straight to 90 degree for the connection to the Mocal thermostatic sandwich plate.

I decided to use allen bolt, spring washer and lock nut to secure the oil cooler. Rubber insulator from Setrab is also fitted between the bracket and the Setrab oil cooler.

And job done. Well, not yet as I have to go back and sort out the oil temperature sensor. But other than that I am glad that the oil cooler install went very smooth. I have not cut upper grill the center piece yet, so that will have to be for another day also.

This setup will require up to 1 liter additional engine oil. Not bad.

Some may question why have the oil cooler port facing down. Well, there is no other way since not much room for fittings for port facing up. I e-mailed Setrab USA and asked if my setup will be ok and they said it is completely fine.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-19, 12:01 AM   #4
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So one of the thing I look forward to seeing other than the oil temperature itself, is the coolant temperature. With the core sitting behind the upper grill duct, there may be coolant issue.

But the good news is there is no problem at all.

Hot idle, air condition switched on (hot and humid in here):

Normal driving wise, the coolant temperature is as before. Between 88 to 95 Deg C, depending if the fan is on or not.

Took the car to 160km/h+ on a single pull (air condition off, of course), on 29 Deg C ambient tempt, and the coolant tempt went down to 82 Deg C. As with my past experience, having an oil cooler made it felt like it significantly increased the car's stamina at the top end. Not that it gained power, but it doesn't easily lose power due to heat soak pull after pull.

Next is to get the Killer Bee oil pan bolt with 1/8 NPT for the oil sensor.

I figured that's the better way to measure the oil temperature and no need to run another sandwich plate just for oil temperature sensor. The temperature reading on the sandwich plate is about 220 Deg F and can easily soar to 240 Deg F when racing the engine. Not sure what the temperature is like inside the pan though I read someone here did multiple location testing and seems like the numbers are consistent be it at oil pan or sandwich plate or the rear oil galley.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-06-19, 08:17 AM   #5
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlheman View Post
So one of the thing I look forward to seeing other than the oil temperature itself, is the coolant temperature. With the core sitting behind the upper grill duct, there may be coolant issue.

But the good news is there is no problem at all.

Hot idle, air condition switched on (hot and humid in here):
Image Link

Normal driving wise, the coolant temperature is as before. Between 88 to 95 Deg C, depending if the fan is on or not.

Took the car to 160km/h+ on a single pull (air condition off, of course), on 29 Deg C ambient tempt, and the coolant tempt went down to 82 Deg C. As with my past experience, having an oil cooler made it felt like it significantly increased the car's stamina at the top end. Not that it gained power, but it doesn't easily lose power due to heat soak pull after pull.

Next is to get the Killer Bee oil pan bolt with 1/8 NPT for the oil sensor.

Image Link

I figured that's the better way to measure the oil temperature and no need to run another sandwich plate just for oil temperature sensor. The temperature reading on the sandwich plate is about 220 Deg F and can easily soar to 240 Deg F when racing the engine. Not sure what the temperature is like inside the pan though I read someone here did multiple location testing and seems like the numbers are consistent be it at oil pan or sandwich plate or the rear oil galley.
I'm really interested to see the difference in temperature between the two locations.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-06-19, 04:25 PM   #6
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
I'm really interested to see the difference in temperature between the two locations.
Yeah me too.

But I will not be able confirm if there is any difference between the oil sandwich plate and and the oil pan, because I have not measured the current oil cooler setup’s result from the oil sandwich plate. The temperature measurement I mentioned on previous post is without oil cooler and taken from the oil sandwich plate.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-03-19, 02:50 AM   #7
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Just a little update.

Previously the engine will lose a bit of oil when I took it to 140mph+. The engine oil is Liquimoly Leichtlauf 5w40. This is a pretty good oil as it only begin to lose oil at 140mph+.

Now there is no oil loss.

Great!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-19, 02:52 AM   #8
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well, here it is:

Oil tempt sensor attached. Need better socket but this will do for now. (I don't think is a good idea to twist the oil tempt sensor wire.)

I set my gauge's warning light to flash when oil tempt is below 176 Deg F.

Hot idle, air con on. Outside tempt around 35 Deg C.

Now here is photo of oil tempt sensor attached on the oil sandwich plate:

Hot idle, air con on. Outside tempt should be around 32 Deg C.

So I don't see any different of oil tempt during hot idle between oil tempt reading at oil pan or at oil sandwich plate. But now with oil cooler I haven't seen the oil tempt reaching 220 Deg F+ - Both in traffic and highway cruise.

Next test is hot run and I know without the oil cooler the oil temp can reach 240 Deg F.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-19, 06:23 AM   #9
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Thanks for sharing, good stuff.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-06-19, 07:42 AM   #10
dlheman

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

At least now we know there is no difference between reading at oil pan or at oil sandwich filter.

Afterall Subaru Japan did offer oil tempt sensor kit and that too is installed on the provided oil sandwich plate.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement