Rotella T6 5W30/5W40 info from Shell - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Rotella T6 5W30/5W40 info from Shell
Rotella T6 5W30/5W40 info from Shell
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Rotella T6 5W30/5W40 info from Shell

Old 03-14-19, 04:25 AM   #11
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rotella T6 5W30/5W40 info from Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by oharao2 View Post
Over the last 150000+ miles the worst my stock 2008 sti ran was on the one round of T6 I ran. It was clunky and the gas mileage went to pot. That includes being worst than the first 25k miles where I ran the dealers dino. The last 100+k miles have been mostly castrol edge without consumption or other issues. So while I understand why guys with modified engines would use a thicker oil...i cant see anyone running stock would.

How did runing 5w-40 over 5w-30 lead to car being "clunky" and bad gas mileage?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-19, 05:25 AM   #12
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
How did runing 5w-40 over 5w-30 lead to car being "clunky" and bad gas mileage?

It’s the brand change, not the viscosity grade at warmed temps that’s the key to his message. I’ve noticed a difference between brands too all while using the same multi-grade viscosity.

Castrol Edge and Motul are the two that have had my engine running smoother than other alternatives.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-19, 05:35 AM   #13
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noximus View Post
It’s the brand change, not the viscosity grade at warmed temps that’s the key to his message. I’ve noticed a difference between brands too all while using the same multi-grade viscosity.

Castrol Edge and Motul are the two that have had my engine running smoother than other alternatives.

If anything, i found that going to a 5w-40 "smoothed" the engine out a bit. I can see maybe reducing viscosity leading to a slight improvement of fuel economy but not much. I cant really see increasing viscosity to a 40 over 30 leading to "bad" gas mileage. Ive used Rotella T6 since my first oil change at 1K, done 3K OCI and havent looked back. Either way i dont want to get into another one of these oil wars. Im not a fluid engineer or anything like that.

I attribute my poor gas mileage to ID1000's
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-19, 06:49 AM   #14
Jedi03
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Blue 2009 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jedi03 is on a distinguished road

holds up better to the heat and thereby doesn't break down as fast...i have been running 5w30 with 1qt 15w40 and my tests came back saying viscosity was at 10w30 after ~4500 miles on it...all non-synthetic oil too
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-19, 07:40 AM   #15
Noximus
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: 2015 STI Steering Rack!
My Subaru Parts for sale

Noximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of lightNoximus is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rotella T6 5W30/5W40 info from Shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
If anything, i found that going to a 5w-40 "smoothed" the engine out a bit. I can see maybe reducing viscosity leading to a slight improvement of fuel economy but not much. I cant really see increasing viscosity to a 40 over 30 leading to "bad" gas mileage. Ive used Rotella T6 since my first oil change at 1K, done 3K OCI and havent looked back. Either way i dont want to get into another one of these oil wars. Im not a fluid engineer or anything like that.

I attribute my poor gas mileage to ID1000's

It’s definitely subjective. I notice it a lot more in the winter.

But ya, gas mileage wouldn’t change that much. My ID1000s and my need to hear my Corsa exhaust at every acceleration is the cause for my bad fuel mileage. Rotella T6 5W30/5W40 info from Shell

I use Castrol Edge 0W40 in the winter and Motul 10W40 in the summer. Best combo I’ve found so far.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-19, 08:49 AM   #16
Leemanfor
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

my wear metals increased in 1 run of RT6 on my OEM engine compared to Pennzoil plat. 5w-30

not saying its a bad oil, but I think my clearances were too tight for the 40w.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement