Engine boggling when in 4th and 5th gear - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Engine boggling when in 4th and 5th gear
Engine boggling when in 4th and 5th gear
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Engine boggling when in 4th and 5th gear

Old 04-08-17, 02:15 PM   #1
KP34
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

KP34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine boggling when in 4th and 5th gear

I have a 2011 wrx stage 2 and just recently when accelerating in 4th and 5th gear it feels like the engine bogs. There's little acceleration in speed. Could it be my fuel regulator? Anything helps. Thanks
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-17, 10:29 AM   #2
NWIEBE147
Becoming A Contributor

Car: WRB 2010 STi
Fav Mod: Pfftt
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NWIEBE147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engine boggling when in 4th and 5th gear

We need more information boss. Do you have a cobb access port? A bad regulator is probably not the issue. Please post all your mods and a better discription and I would be glad to help you out.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-23-17, 10:39 PM   #3
KP34
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIEBE147 View Post
We need more information boss. Do you have a cobb access port? A bad regulator is probably not the issue. Please post all your mods and a better discription and I would be glad to help you out.
I am stage 2. I have a v3 accessport. Cold air intake, turbo heat shield, catted downpipe, and the spt exhaust. Not pushing a lot of power. Only about 13-14 psi. When you get on it on the freeway in 4th or 5th gear it just seems like the engine is stuttering or boggling. Not sure what this could be. Talked to a guy at rallysportdirect in slc Utah. He suggested I check out the fuel regulator but I am not sure
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-17, 02:07 AM   #4
SlowInFastOut
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 2011 Grey Sti Sedan
Fav Mod: 1.5xtr
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SlowInFastOut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP34 View Post
I am stage 2. I have a v3 accessport. Cold air intake, turbo heat shield, catted downpipe, and the spt exhaust. Not pushing a lot of power. Only about 13-14 psi. When you get on it on the freeway in 4th or 5th gear it just seems like the engine is stuttering or boggling. Not sure what this could be. Talked to a guy at rallysportdirect in slc Utah. He suggested I check out the fuel regulator but I am not sure
So not pro tuned? Or are you doing the tuning? 14 psi? Is the engine light on? When are you starting these pulls and how far into the rpm range are you wringing it out to?

My suggestion would be to put the stock intake back in, reset the ecu to the appropriate cobb map for you mods. And drive it again. The stumble rally sport is talking about only happens between 2800 to 3100 ish then open loop fuel fueling does its thing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-25-17, 07:44 AM   #5
NWIEBE147
Becoming A Contributor

Car: WRB 2010 STi
Fav Mod: Pfftt
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

NWIEBE147 is an unknown quantity at this point

So in 4th and 5rh gear your still hitting 13-14 psi? I'm slightly confused. Say your on the freeway doing 65mph in 4th gear and you floor it. What happens? Does it buck? Misfire? Or is smooth but it feels slow? Do you have a wideband? Intake without a pro tune could be the issue. Have you checked your spark plugs?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-17, 08:14 AM   #6
KP34
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowInFastOut View Post
So not pro tuned? Or are you doing the tuning? 14 psi? Is the engine light on? When are you starting these pulls and how far into the rpm range are you wringing it out to?

My suggestion would be to put the stock intake back in, reset the ecu to the appropriate cobb map for you mods. And drive it again. The stumble rally sport is talking about only happens between 2800 to 3100 ish then open loop fuel fueling does its thing.
I am not aware of a protune. I purchased the car last may with it already being stage 2. So I do not have the stock intake. The engine light is not on. I can try and purchase a stock intake, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. On the freeway is where I notice the stuttering. From 3,000 to redline.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-17, 08:19 AM   #7
KP34
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIEBE147 View Post
So in 4th and 5rh gear your still hitting 13-14 psi? I'm slightly confused. Say your on the freeway doing 65mph in 4th gear and you floor it. What happens? Does it buck? Misfire? Or is smooth but it feels slow? Do you have a wideband? Intake without a pro tune could be the issue. Have you checked your spark plugs?
If I floor it in 4th going 65, it acts like it wants to accelerate but then it feels like the engine just stutters. Like it can't. I'm trying my best to explain it haha it's really weird. I was going to check the spark plugs but the guy at rallysport told me about the fuel regulator. So I'm just trying to get in the general direction so I'm not fixing and replacing parts that don't necessarily need to be replaced. And yes, in 4th and 5th still 13-14 psi. So a Cobb map, is that just a tune or is that a protune? Or is a protune on a dyno? Sorry for all the questions just wanting to get to the bottom of this.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-17, 08:32 AM   #8
SlowInFastOut

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
I am not aware of a protune. I purchased the car last may with it already being stage 2. So I do not have the stock intake. The engine light is not on. I can try and purchase a stock intake, but I'm not sure if that's the problem. On the freeway is where I notice the stuttering. From 3,000 to redline.
You bought the car last may and its always been at 14psi no matter what you do to it? Was there any previous tuning history on the car?

Pro tune is when you get tuned on the dyno with a tuner.

Are you in s# or s? Even the stock map was 17.5 psi for me on a bad day wide open throttle. If you only see 14psi you might have a boost leak somewhere causing the car to constantly try amd correct fueling and make it feel like its bogging.

Try to get boost leak tested and correct what you find. The tmic coupler and inlet can cause some wierd things to happen if there are tears in it or if they come off.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-17, 09:06 AM   #9
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I'm going with plugs as being a possibility if you have a higher mileage car. Additionally, without logs, fuel trims, nor knowing what the AFR is, we're just kind of guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowInFastOut View Post
Are you in s# or s? Even the stock map was 17.5 psi for me on a bad day wide open throttle. If you only see 14psi you might have a boost leak somewhere causing the car to constantly try amd correct fueling and make it feel like its bogging.
Quote:
I have a 2011 wrx stage 2
It's always in S#.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-26-17, 09:22 AM   #10
SlowInFastOut

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
I'm going with plugs as being a possibility if you have a higher mileage car. Additionally, without logs, fuel trims, nor knowing what the AFR is, we're just kind of guessing.

It's always in S#.
😂😂😂😂😂 i need to learn how to reskim things when they pop back up again. Thanks! Agreed that its def hard to know without logs and afrs.

Not sure of the details for the cobb stage 2 for Wrx with intake is boost wise.

Not that i wanna be off topic but did you solve your borg warner efr turbo set up yet yamahaSHO? And if you have a chance can you maybe chime in on my thread for going to rotated x3576r?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement