olenderc
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2014 CBS STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

olenderc is on a distinguished road
Default DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Just pulled the trigger on a DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft.

Any personal experiences with this one? I've read a lot of favorable experiences with people saying it's one of their favorite modifications as it really changes a lot with driveability and responsiveness.

I confirmed when ordering you do have to drill larger holes for the 10 mm bolts supplied to bolt at the rear diff flange. The stock bolts are 8 mm so the only way to bolt the CF driveshaft is by enlarging the holes. I guess reversability wouldn't be necessarily easy if you wanted to revert back to stock, but I don't plan on selling my car anytime soon, or ever, so I guess it becomes a moot point.

Really excited, looking forward to getting this sucker on.

**UPDATE**

Finally had some free time this morning to install the DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft. Just wanted to give my thoughts and opinions on installation and the driving experience.

Here are some photos during installation:

Stock driveshaft

DSS CF Driveshaft

Very small (insignificant?) difference in DSS flange (10 mm holes) and rear diff flange (8 mm holes)

DSS CF bolted to rear diff with stock hardware

Transmission yoke end of the driveshaft

Thoughts/Impressions:

Installation-wise I think this was fairly easy. Took me about 1 and 1/2 hours from start to finish and I was going slow to make sure I didn't screw anything up. I reused stock hardware (at least for now) so that in the off-chance something didn't jive right with my car I could revert back to stock with no issues. There is obviously a very small (~1 mm on either side) gap on the DSS flange side where the stock bolts don't make contact with the hole edges being that the flange has 10 mm holes and stock bolts are 8 mm. But, the middle of the driveshaft flange seats onto the center of the rear diff via a small lip so everything is centered with no slack from the get-go. I guess the end user assumes the risk and repercussions of not drilling out larger holes for the supplied 10 mm hardware by DSS. However, I would venture to say you shouldn't experience any issues down the road as I've heard from many people that reused stock hardware with no issues to date. YMMV. I don't think I'd notice a difference in feel if I drilled out larger holes, though I was ready, drill in hand, to bore out larger holes and decided against it, for now.

With regards to impressions on driveability. As of right now, I have only driven for a short period of time on main roads and a little highway time. I have taken the car up to about 90 mph and have not yet experienced any resonance or vibrations, so that is a plus. As far as wow-factor, I'd be hard pressed to say I'm thoroughly impressed. While the shaft is lighter and 1-piece, I wasn't taken back by any monumental changes to driving feel. Unless my butt dyno isn't as sensitive as others, I can say I didn't notice that much of a difference in driveability, at least not $1000-worth. Yes, there may be a little less driveshaft play in between shifts, but nothing that is going to blow you out of your seat. You notice a little less bucking from throttle input and slightly smoother transition when letting go of the gas and decelerating, but nothing extraordinary. Honestly, I was thinking to myself while driving if I were to test drive the car not knowing the CF driveshaft was there, if I would even notice a difference in driveability. Maybe? Maybe not.

It's hard to say having only had a little time behind the wheel. I will say though, that some people's reviews of the product are way over-hyped or at least they've got some super sensitive butt dynos. There definitely isn't a 100% decrease in drivetrain slack, contrary to some opinions I've read saying all bucking between shifts is gone. Yes there is a driver component to it and how well you finesse your shifts. But even before installation of a CF driveshaft, you could manage to have smooth transitions between shifts with minimal to no bucking if you wanted to . Keeping driver input constant, I would cautiously say the change in driveability is satisfactory at best. I would have to definitely think long and hard about the cost/benefit ratio if I had to purchase again knowing everything I know now. Maybe swapping out transmission/motor mounts and/or bushings would add to the overall change in feel. Then again, you wouldn't be able to say the change in driveability was all due to the CF driveshaft.

I will continue to analyze my driving experience in the coming weeks, maybe it's a change that will become more apparent in different driving situations. Hopefully, this helps some people considering making such a big purchase. I can't say it isn't worth it as I haven't given myself sufficient time behind the wheel to properly analyze every aspect of the driving experience. However, I'm a little skeptical to see where there could possibly be any room for change in feel.

Anyways, I'll try to update this again in the coming weeks if I deem it necessary. For now, I'm going to go wash my car; a car definitely feels better after giving it a good wash .

Last edited by olenderc; 04-18-15 at 01:44 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-15, 03:24 PM   #2
Harlequin_Forest
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2014 SWP STI Hatch
Fav Mod: DAMD Steering Wheel
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Harlequin_Forest is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DSS Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

I'd say it was worth it. Low speed bucking/lurching is anything but gone however... I reused stock hardware. Didn't feel like drilling into the flange.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-15, 03:52 PM   #3
olenderc

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin_Forest View Post
I'd say it was worth it. Low speed bucking/lurching is anything but gone however... I reused stock hardware. Didn't feel like drilling into the flange.
Almost every review I read said that bucking/lurching was eliminated. Do you think it has anything to do with reusing stock hardware? I'm under the impression that the flanged end on the drive shaft has 10 mm holes. So if you're putting 8 mm bolts through it, it might not be creating a good fit.
I was going to ask how you managed to fit stock hardware. I made sure to ask when ordering and it didn't seem like drilling the flanges was optional.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-15, 05:20 PM   #4
Harlequin_Forest
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2014 SWP STI Hatch
Fav Mod: DAMD Steering Wheel
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Harlequin_Forest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
Almost every review I read said that bucking/lurching was eliminated. Do you think it has anything to do with reusing stock hardware? I'm under the impression that the flanged end on the drive shaft has 10 mm holes. So if you're putting 8 mm bolts through it, it might not be creating a good fit.
I was going to ask how you managed to fit stock hardware. I made sure to ask when ordering and it didn't seem like drilling the flanges was optional.
Its possible, but I'm not sure that the hardware would make that drastic a difference. Hopefully someone else can chime in on this. I'd like to get rid of the bucking and hopefully there isn't something else mechanically wrong with the car.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-15, 05:27 PM   #5
H00LiG4N

Car: 11 STi hatch
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

H00LiG4N is on a distinguished road

Carbon Fiber Driveshafts - Page 4 - NASIOC
you can do this and use 8mm bolts

these might work just need to cut to size: McMaster-Carr
or even or even 8mm id-10mm od stainless steel tubing

Last edited by H00LiG4N; 04-07-15 at 06:12 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-15, 06:43 PM   #6
BJJMark95
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Fav Mod: Turn in Concepts & E85
My Subaru Parts for sale

BJJMark95 will become famous soon enoughBJJMark95 will become famous soon enough

Absolutely the best drive ability mod you can do. Especially if you drive in any bit if traffic. It's fantastic. You can resuse the stock hardware no problem. In fact mine didn't come with any hardware at all. It's perfectly fine. You'll love it and think you have a different car!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-15, 07:01 PM   #7
CNY_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: EFI Logics Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

CNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the rough

Love mine...no issues bolting up with stock hardware. It has a raised lip that seats in the rear diff yoke and then it is bolted tight so no misalignment.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-15, 07:22 PM   #8
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Except cost, there is no downside to the DSS. If your car needs a drive shaft its a no brainer. But anyone who believes this is their best mod either has no other mods, or has made especially poor choices. It's a lot of money for a small difference. If you done most everything else, its a nice finishing touch. Yes I've driven one since they first came out - a two or three years.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 04-08-15 at 05:34 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 04-07-15, 07:28 PM   #9
olenderc

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJMark95 View Post
Absolutely the best drive ability mod you can do. Especially if you drive in any bit if traffic. It's fantastic. You can resuse the stock hardware no problem. In fact mine didn't come with any hardware at all. It's perfectly fine. You'll love it and think you have a different car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_STI View Post
Love mine...no issues bolting up with stock hardware. It has a raised lip that seats in the rear diff yoke and then it is bolted tight so no misalignment.
So I specifically asked when buying and the guy confirmed you would have to drill out a larger hole; maybe I'll call again tomorrow and try confirming with someone else there. Did your driveshafts come drilled with 8 mm holes or did it come with the 10 mm holes and you used the OEM 8 mm bolts through it with no problem? I'm having trouble visualizing how that would work since you would have that hollow space within the flange thickness of where the bolt isn't making direct contact. I assume this would lead to instability and probably wouldn't be safe? Or can you ask them to specifically drill 8 mm holes at the flange? Sorry I'd rather have it be plug and play, but it seems I'm reading mixed reviews where some people such as the thread linked above a guy added a modified spacer around the 8 mm bolt so that it fit the 10 mm hole on the flange?

Please also note I want to confirm this for the DSS driveshaft specifically, I don't know if other brands make it so you don't have to drill anything extra out.
Likes 0 Dislikes 1

Old 04-07-15, 07:58 PM   #10
sense of nature
Active Participant

Fav Mod: Engine internals FTW!
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

sense of nature is an unknown quantity at this point

Interested in if drilling is necessary on the drive shaft flange also ...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement