Rank Them: Top 5 WORST installs - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Rank Them: Top 5 WORST installs
Rank Them: Top 5 WORST installs
Go Back   STI Forums > > > Rank Them: Top 5 WORST installs

Old 01-26-15, 12:26 PM   #21
Cherryblossomlife
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2012 WRB STi Hatch
Fav Mod: overlays
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cherryblossomlife is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rank Them: Top 5 WORST installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrdnotWrexSTi View Post
Driver rear spark plug. FUCK ME, that was stupid as shit... I had to raise the engine up a bit just to get the coil pack and spark plug out of the fucking hole... I was beginning to wonder if I was being a dumbass by having such a hard time!
Its the worst...the key is twisting the coilpack towards the firewall. pops right out. I felt dumb as well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-15, 01:35 PM   #22
Nigel
Developing Advanced Mastery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Sportster CS w/ SAB
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nigel is on a distinguished road

IMO the STi is really easy to work on you just need to be willing to do the extra leg work and take stuff off/out...

With a friend I was able to do to Group N engine & transmission mounts, KB pitchstop and all the rest of my driveline bushings in one evening. Hardest part was getting the IC back on lol (first time off).

Grimmspeed MC brace was in within an hour of opening the hood...just pulled all the fuel lines.

Be thankful the car doesn't have a transverse countered over V6 or is a mid engined F6/V8 where you need to basically pull it to do ANYTHING.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-26-15, 03:47 PM   #23
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

KManZ will become famous soon enoughKManZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryblossomlife View Post
Its the worst...the key is twisting the coilpack towards the firewall. pops right out. I felt dumb as well.
I am not looking forward to this particular maintenance item
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-15, 04:47 PM   #24
STi Addict
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Turning the key over
My Subaru Parts for sale

STi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of lightSTi Addict is a glorious beacon of light

Plugs are easy lol. takes 1 hour for all 4.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-26-15, 05:00 PM   #25
CNY_STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: EFI Logics Tune
My Subaru Parts for sale

CNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the roughCNY_STI is a jewel in the rough

I am guessing from all the reading that my MCB might be not bad since everything stock is removed for the fuel lines...here's hoping.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-26-15, 08:57 PM   #26
mheyman
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManZ View Post
So, let's make a fun list: "Worst Fucking Installs" for the GR STi. From shittiest to least shittiest:

1) Shifter Bushings (Kartboy Holy Shift! kit) - hard to reach/remove cotter pin , bolts on the rear bushing that cross thread. This install had me punching kittens in the face.

2) Killer B Oil Pickup tube - have you ever wanted to eat a bullet? I did, after this install. The most fun part wasn't breaking loose the seemingly welded on oil pan, or the hour+ scraping off old gasket, nor was it getting lucky when threading in those 3 rear pan bolts without over torquing them........ that bolt holding the dipstick tube to the engine block was LDFNSDL:[email protected]#*(U)*EUR*(UER*. Fuck the world, seriously.

3) Transmission Crossmember Bushings and Trans Mount- the risk of cross threading and stripping bolts here is high. The order of reinstall is paramount. Jacking up the transmission and moving shit around just right to get things bolted back down make for a HELLACIOUS experience.

4) Grimmspeed Master Cylinder Brace- It's just 4 bolts, how hard could it possibly be?

5) Rearview Camera, or any audio install for that matter- removing all of the interior panels along one side of the car without breaking anything. Cut hands. Contortionist acts abound! Running power wire through the firewall. Guaranteed frustration and new, colorful explicatives await!!!!

There's a definite jump in shittiness factor between #4 and #5.

Honorable mentions:

- Group-N Engine mounts: be careful if using Anti-Seize, that you don't snap off one of the mount bolts.

- Brake rotors: aka seized caliper bolts. Replacing brakes is fairly straight forward on the STi, but these caliper bolts can turn the process into a fucking nightmare.

There's a few which I haven't done that sound like the worst of the worst. Namely, the turbo inlet or anything which involves removal of the intake manifold. I'm sure there are others... also, I don't have access to a lift or power tools, which could make things easier in some places.

I think I've finally grown tired of wrenching, cut hands, cross threaded bolts, hard to reach places, and all of the other bullshit. I'm at the point in my life now, where I think I'll probably pay someone to do installs for me, because frankly, I don't derive any enjoyment out of it anymore... Nothing is ever easy with this car, there's always some fucking "gotcha" that ends up costing you more than you would have paid by paying someone to do it.

1) Clutch. Absolutely number 1 for a DIY - meaning you don't have a lift, or in my case even a garage. Took me a few days - even w some help. I'd be embarrassed if it didn't work

2) Calipers/Bolt. This should be so easy, but can and did go so wrong. After spending well over $1K in parts, I ended up buying 1 new caliper, an HF drill press, tap & dies, heli-coil kit, renting a car while I waited for the caliper. all told another $1K! Still not as much as the dealer quoted me, and to be honest I'm not convinced they would have faired any better!

Master cylinder brace? Never did install it I looked at and said not till I'm taking stuff apart again, and just haven't had to. So I do understand that it will be a PIA that I expect to take a couple of hours Not sure that should get it on the list though.

Suspension should be on the list if you do everything incl the springs yourself. Not that hard if you have a decent spring compressor. Yeah I bought one of them too. If you are local you can stop by to use it.

Shifter bushings NP. Just have to realize you have to stretch the rear one by canting and straitening the bolt. If its nice out I'll do em for you.

CBL - isn't you're car "new". It's not built? Why you doin plugs already. Ok I'll admit I've never done them. I hope to be running a new engine before they are due too

I have pitch stop, engine and trans mounts scheduled for first weekend - on my sons WRX . Have an up pipe and down pipe for that one too
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-15, 03:37 AM   #27
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
1) Clutch. Absolutely number 1 for a DIY - meaning you don't have a lift, or in my case even a garage. Took me a few days - even w some help. I'd be embarrassed if it didn't work

2) Calipers/Bolt. This should be so easy, but can and did go so wrong. After spending well over $1K in parts, I ended up buying 1 new caliper, an HF drill press, tap & dies, heli-coil kit, renting a car while I waited for the caliper. all told another $1K! Still not as much as the dealer quoted me, and to be honest I'm not convinced they would have faired any better!

Master cylinder brace? Never did install it I looked at and said not till I'm taking stuff apart again, and just haven't had to. So I do understand that it will be a PIA that I expect to take a couple of hours Not sure that should get it on the list though.

Suspension should be on the list if you do everything incl the springs yourself. Not that hard if you have a decent spring compressor. Yeah I bought one of them too. If you are local you can stop by to use it.

Shifter bushings NP. Just have to realize you have to stretch the rear one by canting and straitening the bolt. If its nice out I'll do em for you.
That seized caliper bolt raped your wallet, dude Goes to show just how close to disaster it could be for someone who isn't expecting it, both financially and time lost. I had 1 bolt nearly seize on me, and I about shat my pantalones. Now, all of the bolts have a ton of copper anti-seize on them, so hopefully future sessions aren't as riveting.

The MCB... like I said, it's just 4 bolts, nothing to be afraid of Getting the thing into position is relatively easy, it's when it's time to bolt it down that things get fun.

The shifter bushings were just a bitch... punching that cotter pin out and then back in was blood boiling because you're on your back, in cramped quarters with barely any room to get a good hammer hit on the punch.

Suspension work, aside from sways/endlinks, I let the pros deal with that mess
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-27-15, 03:40 AM   #28
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_STI View Post
I am guessing from all the reading that my MCB might be not bad since everything stock is removed for the fuel lines...here's hoping.
If you don't have that 1 fuel line in the way, your job should be MUCH easier. I take it your IC is out as well??? Makes me want to condescendingly berate you for not getting to experience the full pleasure of this install

You still have the actual MC to work around, so that'll give you some sort of challenge at least
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-31-15, 08:24 AM   #29
BJames
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: silver 08 wrx sti
Fav Mod: Custom Air Freshener
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BJames is an unknown quantity at this point

Brake caliper bolt. Broke on the last caliper while replacing rotors and pads. Many hours of cursing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-01-16, 05:25 AM   #30
ulyssis
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: RCE Yellows
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ulyssis is on a distinguished road

I will +1 the grimmspeed master cylinder brace and the shifter bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement