400whp 50-State legal turbo kit!!??? - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
400whp 50-State legal turbo kit!!???
400whp 50-State legal turbo kit!!???
Go Back   STI Forums > > > 400whp 50-State legal turbo kit!!???
View Poll Results: Would you buy a CARB legal upgrade kit? (multiple choices enabled)
YES! No questions asked. Where do I sign up? 10 26.32%
Yes, but it has to be for the right price. 14 36.84%
Maybe, but it would take a lot of convincing. 5 13.16%
No, not interested at all. 10 26.32%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-14, 12:42 AM   #21
kickerdlx
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: GRB STI
Fav Mod: Factory Sub
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

kickerdlx is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 400whp CARB legal turbo kit!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Racer X View Post
A little in-house work and some existing parts would make up the kit. I considered the frailness of stock ej's as well and came up with the 330hp kit which would essentially be like the typical stage 2 kit and produce similar hp.

Subscribed for the Stage 2 California Legal Basic Kit

Your basic kit must be at a Minimum like UKs Subaru STI 330s (1/2 second quicker with 325bhp and 344lb ft of torque). I don't know what that car has but it's running on the same US 2.5 liter engine.

As a side note,
Shooting for 330 WHP mark is the equivalent of 390 BHP (when using the 15% power loss.. though I think Subaru's AWD drivetrain loss is more like 20%+)
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-14, 10:00 AM   #22
gfn26
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: DGM 11 WRX Sedan
Fav Mod: TP Stage 2 Map
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gfn26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 400whp 50-State legal turbo kit!!???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Racer X View Post
The reason you'd fail smog for visual is because you're talking about cats that don't have an E.O. (executive order) excluding them from failing the visual test. If you have an E.O. it would not be a problem. With this kit you'd pass smog easily. The test I have to go through to certify the kit is a ridiculous version of the smog test you're used to. If I can pass that test I assure you you'll never have a problem passing smog.

One of the reasons I want to create a kit is so I wouldn't have to take anything off and put it back on for smog tests. I'm a busy man and swapping parts is a waste time.
I hear ya and that would be awesome to have some sort of E.O. that says my exhaust is ok. But from what I have researched in California, I don't think that is even a possibility. I believe the law says that any change to the stock cats is illegal. However, if you know away around that (i.e. an executive order) I would be very interested as I don't want to go through that hassle either. Looking forward to what you come up with.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-14, 10:08 AM   #23
gfn26
Joined the Conversation

Car: DGM 11 WRX Sedan
Fav Mod: TP Stage 2 Map
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gfn26 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
If two cats are just visual then you just need a second bump in the pipe. Can't imagine there aren't people doing this now. not that it helps, but if you pass emissions no one should care anyway.
I was actually thinking about modifying the stock heat shield on the second cat and bolting it up to make it look like there was another bump there. Curious if anyone has tried that. I agree, if the car passes the sniff test that is all that should matter. It makes no sense at all. CA is a joke as far as smog goes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-18, 12:48 PM   #24
heeltoe624
Contributor

Car: White Pearl 2015 STi
Fav Mod: Tomei EL
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

heeltoe624 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i would be down for a 400whp legal turbo kit, i wouldn't mind paying all at one time. plz pm if u can't get this to work.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement