IW STi Forum banner

2009 WRX and STi upgrades for eurospec

8K views 72 replies 23 participants last post by  Rootus 
#1 ·
This is a good indication of what the USDM 09 is gonna be like and I LIKE alot.

HIGH-PERFORMANCE HAT-TRICK FROM SUBARU

Three new high-performance Special Edition Imprezas

255 PS Impreza WRX-S at £22,495 OTR

330 PS Impreza WRX STI 330S for around £30,000 OTR

Ultimate 380 PS Impreza WRX STI 380S concept

Subaru has scored a high-performance hat-trick for the British International Motor Show with the launch of no less than three new Special Edition new-shape Impreza models – two of which can be seen at the show.

All receive Prodrive engine upgrades plus comfort and styling tweaks, giving enthusiasts an unprecedented choice of sporty Subarus.

The 255 PS Impreza WRX-S costs a highly-competitive £22,495 while the 330 PS Impreza WRX STI 330S will be priced at around £30,000 (both on-the-road). First deliveries are expected in September.

Still in concept stage is the 380 PS Impreza WRX STI 380S which could become available within the next six months pending positive customer response.

Visitors to the show (July 23 to August 3, ExCeL, London) can see both the STI 380S concept and the WRX-S on Subaru’s stand N23.

Impreza WRX-S Offers More Power And Style
Based on the new Impreza WRX, the ‘S’ model offers £4,500 worth of extras for a £2,500 premium, costing £22,495 OTR.

Banbury-based Prodrive has re-programmed the 2.5 litre ‘boxer’ engine’s ECU (electronic control unit) and modified the exhaust system. This sees power leap from 230 PS at 5,200 rpm to 255 PS at 5,400 rpm while the torque improvement is even greater, growing from 236 lb.ft at 2,800 rpm to 287.6 at 3,000 rpm – a staggering 51 lb. ft more.

Maximum speed remains at 130 mph but the 0-60 mph time drops from 6.1 seconds to 5.5 seconds. Naturally, in-gear flexibility is greatly enhanced.

The new Impreza WRX-S also boasts 18x7.5 ins anthracite GT1 alloy wheels with 225/40 tyres, an STI front grille, STI front lip spoiler and STI rear wing and body-colour tailgate moulding.

Also standard is a MOMO ‘Air-Race’ gearknob while the colour choice is between San Remo Red, WR Blue Mica, Obsidian Black Pearl and Satin White Pearl.

Standard equipment on the Impreza 2.5 WRX-S includes front and rear spoilers, side skirts, a rear diffuser, leather-covered steering wheel, all-wheel drive, a rear limited-slip differential with Subaru Vehicle Dynamics Control, 10-speaker, six-disc radio/CD player and xenon headlamps.

Impreza WRX STI 330S Brings Back The Burble
The new Impreza WRX STI 330S also benefits from a Prodrive Performance pack with modified ECU and exhaust system – this time with paired twin 90 mm diameter stainless steel exhaust pipes to bring back the burble so loved by ‘scooby’ fans.

Power goes up to 330 PS at only 5,400 rpm compared to the 300.5 PS at 6,000 rpm of the standard model.

Torque is boosted from 300.2 lb ft at 4,000 rpm to 346.6 lb ft at a lower 3,400 rpm making for an even swifter, effortless driving experience.

Top speed is the same 155.3 mph but the 0-60 mph time drops from an already swift 4.8 seconds to only 4.4 seconds.

Expected to be priced at around £30,000 OTR, the new Impreza WRX STI 330S has an especially luxurious specification – even compared to the already well-equipped standard STI which costs £26,595 OTR.

Upgrades include leather-covered Recaro front seats, satellite navigation, Smart-entry and push-button start.

Visually, the new special-edition sports new five-spoke 18x8.5 ins alloy wheels wearing 245/40 R18 tyres. It will be available in the full range of STI colours.

Standard equipment on the Impreza WRX STI includes a six-speed gearbox, Si-Drive giving three different engine response modes, a Multi-mode Driver Control Centre Differential, Subaru Vehicle Dynamics Control and – of course – symmetrical all-wheel drive with front and rear limited-slip differentials.

Show-Stopping WRX STI 380S Concept
Sure to be a crowd-puller is Subaru’s range-topping special edition Impreza WRX STI 380S which previews at the London International Motor Show.

Dubbed a concept, the STI 380S could reach dealers within six months pending positive response. Its final specification will be finalised following customer input and will be hand-built to order.

The STI 380S will include a complete engine rebuild by Prodrive with many up-rated components to reliably achieve the target 380 PS.

Improvements over the standard Impreza WRX STI will include uprated suspension and exhaust system plus an enhanced body kit.

Other visual changes will be the option of either gold or silver-coloured 18x8.5 ins BBS alloy wheels with 245/40 tyres.
Subaru "Hat-Trick" @ 2008 British International Motor Show - NASIOC

#14 ·
#4 ·
I don't expect the prodrive stuff. Everything else I'd say it's possible like leather-covered Recaro front seats, satellite navigation, Smart-entry and push-button start. Just that and fixes from the 08 like better sway bars, safer tune, and lighter 5 spoke wheels and I'd definitely buy an 09 over an 08. But if the STi doesn't see any important change at all- then the 09 WRX still looks to be a great car as well with the new more STi look anyway.

#7 ·
I'm sorry, but I don't see much to drool over in this description. Basically the standard overpriced Prodrive tricks- some aero, some wheels, and an engine tune. Wooha. Spec C still sounds better. Now if Prodrive were to ever bring that semi-active suspension to the market...

Frank

#10 ·
just like the last prodrive versions, that the U.S. didn't get.

I'm not worried about any 09 changes, even if they bump up the turbo size and get 30hp; i plan on upgrading my turbo anyway so it's a non-issue.

on a side note, looks like they kept the clear tails :lol::tdown:

#18 ·
Why wait?? Accessport and exhaust will give you even more hp/tq gains.

But the Recaro seats would be nice. :)

Your post makes no sense!

I understand the WRX STi is mod freindly, but there is also a slew of blown engines and denied warranty work. If you can get these upgrades as stock, then you are that far ahead...!

The new Impreza WRX STI (330S) also benefits from a Prodrive Performance pack with modified ECU and exhaust system – this time with paired twin 90 mm diameter stainless steel exhaust pipes to bring back the burble so loved by ‘scooby’ fans.

Power goes up to 330HP at only 5,400 rpm compared to the 300HP at 6,000 rpm of the standard model.

Torque is boosted from 300lbft-lb @ 4,000rpm to 346lb-ft @ 3,400rpm making for an even swifter, effortless driving experience.

#16 ·
^OK, with the exception of the 22b :D . But the odds of getting one.....

#42 ·
Yeah I'm with WRXGUY... There isn't significant changes, DCCD still same, differentials still same, same 2.5L boxer, same turbo... Now if they dumped in a H-6 in the STI and bigger turbo, upgraded transmission, stronger shafts, pushing 450WHP... now that's big change...

#64 ·
If the upgraded model is something like 5K GBP more, it's unlikely it would be less than 5K USD ( following the starbucks rule that a cup of coffee is the same in pounds as it is in USD, I add half jokingly). I highly doubt that would be cheaper than an AP and and exhaust or even remotely close. Generally at the high end for most products you pay much more for very incremental improvements (see 335i vs M3) . Another reason that might be for UK only is that it is the analog to the HKS tuned FQ series by their main competitor. There is no FQ equivalent here. The viability of a 40K + STI is probably a stretch in the US market given a variety of current economic realities. I'd expect them to try to do something to improve the "regular" sti such as the recaros or a slight bump in power from the stock tune.

#65 ·
If the upgraded model is something like 5K GBP more, it's unlikely it would be less than 5K USD ( following the starbucks rule that a cup of coffee is the same in pounds as it is in USD, I add half jokingly). I highly doubt that would be cheaper than an AP and and exhaust or even remotely close. Generally at the high end for most products you pay much more for very incremental improvements (see 335i vs M3) . Another reason that might be for UK only is that it is the analog to the HKS tuned FQ series by their main competitor. There is no FQ equivalent here. The viability of a 40K + STI is probably a stretch in the US market given a variety of current economic realities. I'd expect them to try to do something to improve the "regular" sti such as the recaros or a slight bump in power from the stock tune.
exactly, like the '07 Limited. That could happen. Maybe a revised engine map as that will most likely save them more money than it costs them at this point. But that's about it. The Prodrive variants have been overpriced in the past and I would expect them to continue to be overpriced and not viable for the US market. 2-3k is dreaming.

Frank

#66 ·
The UK may also allow a more aggressive tune per their emission standards. I heard that emissions were one of the reasons for the crappy US tune.

the UK already benefits from being able to have more lee-way in diesels than the US because of this.

If thats the case, and the basic engine/turbo config isn't changing (on non-Prodrive-rebuilt versions), I wouldn't be so sure that we'll be seeing these upgraded models in the US.

#68 ·
Quote from link above:

Subaru UK boss Laurence Good summed up with the words: “Those who think we are turning our back on performance enthusiasts should think again.”

This is the guy who should be leading the STI development team!

#72 ·
Recaros hold the driver very well on the race track. I've also driven consecutive 12 to 16-hour days in them without any issues, and with only basic seat adjustments.

I have never been able to find a good seating position in those 17-way, adjustable, Shiatsu-massaging seats from all those other car companies.

Recaros are worth their weight in gold (even if they are light), if you like to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.