IW STi Forum banner

Trunk Lid rattle on bumps, chipping paint

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  WiLLX23 
#1 · (Edited)
So the '15 STi isn't the only STi having trunk chip issues...

Over the past week I have been removing panels and pieces from the rear of my '12 STi sedan in a last ditch effort to track down the Rattle of Doom (RoD) that has been with this car since day 1. Today I took off the C-pillars and trim surrounding the windows. I then put the seats down and went for a long drive, trying to hit as many bumps as possible to cause the rattle.

Well, I hit some good bumps and was looking back into the trunk of the car, and I saw the trunk lid jump a good half inch or more. And that, my friends, is where the RoD has been coming from all this time. Do you know how many fucking times I have taken the rear deck lid off and messed with sound deadening? And my grand prize is chipped trunk edges. AWESOME! :mad:

FIX: loosened the 2x10mm bolts of the catch/latch and pushed it down as far as I could. Went for another drive, and... I don't want to jump to any conclusions or prematurely ejaculate victory here, but the rear of the car is DEAD silent.

Drawback: the trunk lid and fenders aren't 100% aligned now, but it's hardly noticeable. Frankly, I'd rather not suffer the rattle and have some slight misalignment :tup:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.