Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: Silver 2013 STi
Fav Mod: COBB AP
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TampaFire_DE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Downpipe install by local tuner

Hey everyone, I just had a GS downpipe installed at Vortex Motorsports here in Tampa. I know, I could've done it myself but I'm glad I didn't try; my STi has 53,000 miles and they had to use a blowtorch to remove two of the bolts that attach the stock dp to the turbo! Money well spent to me, beats cussing those bolts out while sweating my ass off in my garage lol! Anyway, if you're looking for decent work done don't hesitate to give them a call. Oh yeah, they do have a dyno and do protunes but that's $550 I didn't want to spend so Cobb OTS stage 2 map for me!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-17, 08:56 PM   #2
RussellX
Platinum Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2019 Red WRX STi
Fav Mod: Cobb Accessport V3
My Subaru Parts for sale

RussellX has a spectacular aura aboutRussellX has a spectacular aura aboutRussellX has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Downpipe install by local tuner

cobb maps are only for cobb parts.
Since you decided to cheap out and not get a protune for your GS downpipe, expect to have problems or blown engine... just being real with you...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-09-17, 03:30 AM   #3
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Yeah thats pretty common to have to do on dp installs atleast here in the rust belt. I did my down pipe years ago at like 20K and i had to use a shop torch and even cut the stuff off.

I would still recommend getting the car protuned by a reputable tuner.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-17, 01:19 PM   #4
TampaFire_DE
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Downpipe install by local tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellX View Post
cobb maps are only for cobb parts.
Since you decided to cheap out and not get a protune for your GS downpipe, expect to have problems or blown engine... just being real with you...

I will eventually. Just did some data logs and the only thing that stuck out was overboost by 2 psi, otherwise all the other numbers were spot on. I’ve read the posts by Cobb employees stating that as long as you use a catted dp it shouldn’t be a big deal. So reflashed to low wastegate map and some more datalogs! And I only “cheaped out” due to Xmas coming up.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-09-17, 01:30 PM   #5
blacknblue06STI
Account Inactive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Black, 06' STI
Fav Mod: ACT Monolock
My Subaru Parts for sale

blacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura aboutblacknblue06STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaFire_DE View Post
I will eventually. Just did some data logs and the only thing that stuck out was overboost by 2 psi, otherwise all the other numbers were spot on. I’ve read the posts by Cobb employees stating that as long as you use a catted dp it shouldn’t be a big deal. So reflashed to low wastegate map and some more datalogs! And I only “cheaped out” due to Xmas coming up.
cobb allows for +1-2 PSI over the stage 2 boost levels depending on the exhaust parts installed to go with the stage 2 tune....so +2 PSI is normal and probably are making good power with that setup....and by itself isnt going to cause a durability issue with the engine. The timing and fuel ratio are more critical, so if for example you overboost by 2 PSI(which again your not really overboosting on that stage 2 map), and you are leaning out and over advancing ignition timing wise and getting detonation then yes, a combination of those metrics being off can damage a piston. If everything is within spec your good to go.

If you are 2 PSI over the additional 2 PSI that cobb allows (I.E actually 4 PSI over the normal range cobb specifies for the stage 2 tune) then it is overboosting. If its just 2 PSI over the normal range cobb specifies then thats normal...enjoy the extra power...just monitor engine temps and fuel and ignition curves occassionally and use 93 octane.

Last edited by blacknblue06STI; 12-09-17 at 01:37 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-09-17, 01:53 PM   #6
TampaFire_DE
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknblue06STI View Post
cobb allows for +1-2 PSI over the stage 2 boost levels depending on the exhaust parts installed to go with the stage 2 tune....so +2 PSI is normal and probably are making good power with that setup....and by itself isnt going to cause a durability issue with the engine. The timing and fuel ratio are more critical, so if for example you overboost by 2 PSI(which again your not really overboosting on that stage 2 map), and you are leaning out and over advancing ignition timing wise and getting detonation then yes, a combination of those metrics being off can damage a piston. If everything is within spec your good to go.

If you are 2 PSI over the additional 2 PSI that cobb allows (I.E actually 4 PSI over the normal range cobb specifies for the stage 2 tune) then it is overboosting. If its just 2 PSI over the normal range cobb specifies then thats normal...enjoy the extra power...just monitor engine temps and fuel and ignition curves occassionally and use 93 octane.

Thanks for the info!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement