Q300 and whats quieter to stop police giving me shit - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Q300 and whats quieter to stop police giving me shit
Q300 and whats quieter to stop police giving me shit
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Q300 and whats quieter to stop police giving me shit

Old 11-19-16, 09:11 AM   #31
eaglehunter
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Cobb AP, downpipe and protune (best bang for bucks thus far)
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

eaglehunter is on a distinguished road
Default Q300 and whats quieter to stop police giving me shit

I swapped the q300 for a milltek because of the drone between 2 and 3000rpm and it was just too loud for me in general. I have seen a couple cars with the q300 and a resonator fitted in the middle somewhere and it does help, but they are still loud (guess it depends on the resonator to some extent as well). Also, there is a difference between the v1 and newer versions of the q300 in terms of how loud it is. In my opinion the resonator will not be sufficient on the newer version, but i did not try it though, my opinion is solely based on listening to the other cars at my tuner's shop at the time... I also did not want to cut an essentially brand new cbe and opted to just take the hit and sell it. I am really happy with this change. The car is just right now. No drone whatsoever and you can hear the rumble at idle and cruising, but not overbearing at all. On the dyno my tuner told me it was more constricting at wot than the "normal" 3" pipes he is used to, but this should fit into your comment of being willing to sacrifice a couple hp for less noise (i do have a catless crawford dp that was designed to fit onto a stock cbe, so the 2.5" taper it has right before the flange may play into this flow comment though, but that I am not sure about that... My understanding is the cobb dp also has a 2.5 taper so it may not be a big deal - i would actually appreciate if anyone has an opinion in that regard to know your thoughts...).

Search for a detailed write-up by Toivonen (Milltek exhaust Subaru cat back review) for videos, sound and detailed information. You cannot go wrong in my opinion. I have only 350whp, so not quite where you are at, but I think the principle is close enough and i will buy it again, no question.

Last edited by eaglehunter; 11-19-16 at 10:30 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-16, 09:11 AM   #32
farmboss
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: Everything that is actually an improvement over the stock part.
My Subaru Parts for sale

farmboss is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Q300 and whats quieter to stop police giving me shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Nonsense? Just cause farmboss has a little anecdotal evidence that means almost nothing? farmboss, if you can't figure out how increasing exhaust backpressure effects the flow of air through the motor then I give up.

Believe whatever the fuck you guys like. Go drive your cars WOT with huge exhaust restriction and see how it works out for you, lol...
Oh dont worry, been doing it for years. Not a problem to be had...Stop making simple statements with no explanation behind them. Take the time to explain to us your way of thinking.

Explain your statement...the fact you haven't yet is confusing.

I love being proven wrong, because thats when fresh correct knowledge enters the brain, and im all for that correct knowledge stuff. So by all means, explain....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-19-16, 10:07 AM   #33
DaveC113
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: '18 Camaro SS 1LE
Fav Mod: Don't Need Any, No Subaru
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

DaveC113 will become famous soon enoughDaveC113 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboss View Post
Oh dont worry, been doing it for years. Not a problem to be had...Stop making simple statements with no explanation behind them. Take the time to explain to us your way of thinking.

Explain your statement...the fact you haven't yet is confusing.

I love being proven wrong, because thats when fresh correct knowledge enters the brain, and im all for that correct knowledge stuff. So by all means, explain....
That's reasonable, but I have no burden of proof. This is a forum and I don't need to take the time to explain and prove every little thing. This topic is easy enough to research yourself. Or start a thread on exhaust backpressure and you'll get lots of opinions and probably lots of before/after dyno plots on exhaust components. Turbos are generally best with the lowest amount of backpressure after the turbo as possible.

In your case you aren't putting much more restriction on your motor, if you do the math you see that your cutout isn't changing backpressure nearly as much as a 1.5" diameter silencer on a 3" exhaust is. It's not an apples to apples comparison and has nothing to do with the topic... However, you said you still do notice differences, so obviously it's doing something.

Also, backpressure does matter, even after the turbo. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much of a difference between stock downpipes and aftermarket, people wouldn't bother to change them out. It wouldn't be the recommended 1st mod you do to any car. People wouldn't bother to put 3" diameter exhausts on their cars. Much of it is overkill but as you get up higher in HP a 3" exhaust makes much more sense and it starts to make much more of a difference. So, the more power you're making the more of a negative effect that 1.5" silencer will have. Stock it might not be a big deal, but put it on a 500 whp car and see what happens... however, as sensitive as these cars tend to be, putting a silencer on and going WOT/driving the car like normal even if it's stock isn't the best idea. The way I see it, the silencer is there for those occasions when it's not acceptable for the car to be as loud, and the car should be driven gently when it's installed. If te plan is to buy a Tomei and run the silencer all the time, I think that's a really bad idea!

Last edited by DaveC113; 11-19-16 at 10:15 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-16, 10:11 AM   #34
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Nonsense? Just cause farmboss has a little anecdotal evidence that means almost nothing? farmboss, if you can't figure out how increasing exhaust backpressure effects the flow of air through the motor then I give up.

Spreads like wildfire? I'm the fucking source of this information! It hasn't "spread" anywhere!

Believe whatever the fuck you guys like. Go drive your cars WOT with huge exhaust restriction and see how it works out for you...
Save
Its nonsense because you are stating something without explanation. You are guaranteeing a result based on a statement with out any evidence of its truth. Just because you some how experienced this without any real proof or cause as to how it occurred and just decided that its got to be the silencer.

Im sorry maybe wildfire wasnt the correct term for this. But let me explain my reason for using that term. You are misinformed on this issue based on your first statement. Posting incorrect/inaccurate information for the next guy to read and base their research on is WRONG. So for the next guy to be skimming this or searching looking and hoping to find good and useful information sees that silencers cause rich scenarios based on what you said and guaranteed. Now they might go about thinking that way as well and even spread that false information, leading to a wild fire effect.

I i dont drive my car with a silencer, Nor will i for any reason. Hell, i run an open dump under boost. I didn't buy an exhaust with the optional silencer. Look at farmboss, the guy runs cut outs.......im guessing his exhaust doesnt have a silencer either. But thats a good thing because if we did, then we would be running rich because of silencers

Last edited by Jay11STI; 11-19-16 at 10:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-19-16, 10:20 AM   #35
DaveC113

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay11STI View Post
Its nonsense because you are stating something without explanation. You are guaranteeing a result based on a statement with out any evidence of its truth. Just because you some how experienced this without any real proof or cause as to how it occurred and just decided that its got to be the silencer.

Im sorry maybe wildfire wasnt the correct term for this. But let me explain my reason for using that term. You are misinformed on this issue based on your first statement. Posting incorrect/inaccurate information for the next guy to read and base their research on is WRONG. So for the next guy to be skimming this or searching looking and hoping to find good and useful information sees that silencers cause rich scenarios based on what you said and guaranteed. Now they might go about thinking that way as well and even spread that false information, leading to a wild fire effect.

I i dont drive my car with a silencer, Nor will i for any reason. Hell, i run an open dump under boost. I didn't buy an exhaust with the optional silencer. Look at farmboss, the guy runs cut outs.......im guessing his exhaust doesnt have a silencer either. But thats a good thing because if we did, then we would be running rich because of silencers

Read my post above. This isn't a courtroom. People should know to cross-check statements they read on the internet and not take any one thing alone for absolute truth. Also, this isn't my thread and if you want to discuss backpressure and how much the silencer might create, it should be in a different thread. I simply didn't want the OP to think it would be cool to buy a Tomei and simply run the silencer all the time, imo it's not a good idea.
Save
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-19-16, 05:30 PM   #36
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles has a spectacular aura abouttastetickles has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Read my post above. This isn't a courtroom. People should know to cross-check statements they read on the internet and not take any one thing alone for absolute truth. Also, this isn't my thread and if you want to discuss backpressure and how much the silencer might create, it should be in a different thread. I simply didn't want the OP to think it would be cool to buy a Tomei and simply run the silencer all the time, imo it's not a good idea.
Save
Haahaahhahahahhaha. Your technical knowledge is almost as good as the other guy who won a sausage contest with his sti. Hahahahahhha

Still waiting for why a silencer causes car to run rich. You claimed so, now explain it logically otherwise it's spreading misinformation.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited by tastetickles; 11-19-16 at 05:44 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-19-16, 06:25 PM   #37
Cake Eater
Master Contributor Level 1

Car: 15 STI
Fav Mod: My GFB BOV
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cake Eater has a spectacular aura aboutCake Eater has a spectacular aura about

Ummmm, just use a longer resonator or longer box of the same diameter.

My Skyline was loud and made 500hp, put on longer resonator and longer back box and it was quieter and made the same power, everywhere.

Why would you even contemplate putting a res or box that is smaller than the pipe work.

The easiest way to prove if you have a restriction is put it on a dyno and play with it.

We are talking about straight through boxes yes?

As for screamer pipes, I also didn't get a loss anywhere when I had it plumbed back in, IMO a screamer sounds just like blown muffler.

Disclaimer: exhaust was 4 " dump to 3.5" pipe, 1 resinator and 1 back box, no cat.

From dyno testing (the dyno is only a tuning tool), the closer to the turbo the greater the effect will be if the exhaust is not efficient, this is why the dump and cats play such a big roll in removing a bottle neck, further back, not so much.

From my experience fitting the biggest dump you can fit in and a 3.5" will flow 500hp from a 3 litre easily.

Anyways, go to drags and log data after every modification, the 1/4 mile dont lie, unlike dynos, dont trust anything except elapsed time and mph.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-20-16, 07:32 AM   #38
DaveC113

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastetickles View Post
Haahaahhahahahhaha. Your technical knowledge is almost as good as the other guy who won a sausage contest with his sti. Hahahahahhha

Still waiting for why a silencer causes car to run rich. You claimed so, now explain it logically otherwise it's spreading misinformation.

Wow, that's some great logic there. If I don't give you your pretty little explanation your tiny little brain can comprehend, then you're going to label what I said misinformation? How about you go do your own research, cupcake? Go jam some shit in your exhaust and do some datalogs. My god you're an idiot...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-20-16, 09:26 AM   #39
sti_mtl
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: efr 7163
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

sti_mtl is a jewel in the roughsti_mtl is a jewel in the roughsti_mtl is a jewel in the roughsti_mtl is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianinbahrain View Post
Hey guys ,

I have a catless invidia pipe and q300 cat back

Its just too dam loud , failing passing registration and police catch my ass everywhere.

I need to swap out this exhaust system but consideing im putting down now 445 WHP i need to keep around this figure although i dont mind dropping a little power to drop the huge noise of the q300

Any ideas.????
Hi OP.

I was in the exact same boat.

Had a q300 and was sick of police looking in my direction.

Swapped the tiny q300 midpipe resonator for a beefy mangaflow one, and voila.

EL headers will also help quiet things down, if you havent done that already.

All info/pics here:

Stealth-baru! IAG S2 Tuff | EFR7163 | RCE T2 | HFS-3 Meth --- Sooo many updates
Stealth-baru! IAG S2 Tuff | EFR7163 | RCE T2 | HFS-3 Meth --- Sooo many updates
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-20-16, 03:47 PM   #40
tastetickles
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Nut behind wheel
My Subaru Parts for sale

tastetickles has a spectacular aura abouttastetickles has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Wow, that's some great logic there. If I don't give you your pretty little explanation your tiny little brain can comprehend, then you're going to label what I said misinformation? How about you go do your own research, cupcake? Go jam some shit in your exhaust and do some datalogs. My god you're an idiot...
U claimed it, now explain it ... lol

Hahahahahhha keep name calling, I don't mind coz I'm waiting for your explanation. Car runs rich with silencer haahaahhahahahhaha, maybe I should add more timing advance then tune out the detonation with a silencer hahahaahhahhhahhahah

Last edited by tastetickles; 11-20-16 at 05:18 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement