Electronic exhaust cutout...near axle back - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Electronic exhaust cutout...near axle back
Electronic exhaust cutout...near axle back
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Electronic exhaust cutout...near axle back

Old 04-13-15, 05:20 PM   #1
Gruff Gnome
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Gruff Gnome is on a distinguished road
Default Electronic exhaust cutout...near axle back

I started. Thread about making my nameless exhaust quieter after having another baby. I opted to go the sound deadener approach which did not...enough...

So my next question is about adding an electronic exhaust cutout Mack near the axle back and put the stock muffler back on. I realize the performance aspect might not be a factor that far back. I am really in it for the sound. I feel the STi was lacking in the sound department from the factory. But I also like the idea of not having to speak up when trying to talk to passengers.

Looking for any cutout experiences good and bad.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-15, 10:23 AM   #2
GroundZero
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: SPT Catback
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

GroundZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electronic exhaust cutout...near axle back

I spotted this the other day online, but have not seen/heard in person.
X-Force Varex Adjustable Cat Back Exhaust Subaru WRX / STI Sedan 2011-2014 ES-SW25-VMK-CBS at RallySportDirect.com
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-14-15, 10:35 AM   #3
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Get a boost actuated exhaust cutout
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-15, 12:49 PM   #4
Gruff Gnome

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

User1029 - I saw o e during my searching last night...the link provided no longer worked. This is something I would be interested in...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-14-15, 01:31 PM   #5
Gruff Gnome

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundZero View Post
I have a hatch...thanks though
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-15, 04:55 PM   #6
Goner
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: $1,000 pos Expedition
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Goner is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 60mm vband wastegate hacked into the down pipe right before the factory catback. I got everything for about $200 off of ebay. It took some tinkering to get the spring right, but it works beautifully. It is not for everyone, you kinda have to have the right tools, MIG/tri-gas or a TIG, cut of saw and other bits to DIY. It fully opens at 2psi and at 70mph it's quiet as stock, no drone. I have two baby seats in the back seat, the wife and kids get a quiet ride.

The problem with e-cut outs is that after a while they fail due to the heat, but it's pretty awesome while they last. Get a name brand like QTP, Summit or JEGS brand with a warranty.

A wastegate is made to be around heat, but they do not open until you put a load on diaphragm, so you will not get the advantage of an open exhaust off idle. However, the stock exhaust works in conjunction with the cut out, so it flows well. You can also control it with a $20 boost controller too. It also hands a little lower than the stock exhaust, so my set-up would not work on a slammed car.

Last edited by Goner; 04-19-15 at 05:20 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-19-15, 07:52 PM   #7
Gruff Gnome

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thank you for that info. I am still trying to decide, this helps a lot though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-12-17, 07:18 AM   #8
lowbee

Car: DGM 11 STi hatchback
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

lowbee is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
I have a 60mm vband wastegate hacked into the down pipe right before the factory catback...... It fully opens at 2psi and at 70mph it's quiet as stock, no drone......
Would love to hear your exhaust when the wastegate opens ?
Can you post a video ?

Quote:
.....the stock exhaust works in conjunction with the cut out, so it flows well. You can also control it with a $20 boost controller too. It also hands a little lower than the stock exhaust, so my set-up would not work on a slammed car.
A picture of your setup would be great.... I do like the heat handling capacity of the wastegate...

I am thinking about putting this vacuum actuated valve in a cut-out at the mid-pipe so it opens under boost .... so some exhaust gas will bypass the stock CBE to make noise - just not sure what that will sound like with ELH and DP (good or bad). When the valve closes under manifold vacuum, all exhaust gas will go through the stock CBE and I have a quiet system.

Found a youtube video with stock CBE and cutout, sounds pretty good from inside the car...wonder what it will sounds like outside ..

Cutout Closed VS cutout Open 2010 Subaru WRX STI - YouTube

-

Last edited by lowbee; 08-12-17 at 09:38 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-14-17, 01:24 PM   #9
Adam WeSTi

Car: WRB 05 STi
Fav Mod: ELH
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Adam WeSTi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a 60mm vband wastegate hacked into the down pipe right before the factory catback. I got everything for about $200 off of ebay. It took some tinkering to get the spring right, but it works beautifully. It is not for everyone, you kinda have to have the right tools, MIG/tri-gas or a TIG, cut of saw and other bits to DIY. It fully opens at 2psi and at 70mph it's quiet as stock, no drone. I have two baby seats in the back seat, the wife and kids get a quiet ride.

The problem with e-cut outs is that after a while they fail due to the heat, but it's pretty awesome while they last. Get a name brand like QTP, Summit or JEGS brand with a warranty.

A wastegate is made to be around heat, but they do not open until you put a load on diaphragm, so you will not get the advantage of an open exhaust off idle. However, the stock exhaust works in conjunction with the cut out, so it flows well. You can also control it with a $20 boost controller too. It also hands a little lower than the stock exhaust, so my set-up would not work on a slammed car.

Smart guy that's a good idea, yeah I can't say I've ever seen a cutout that didn't fail over time and then it's just annoying.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement