Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP) - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)
Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

Old 05-17-15, 02:48 PM   #41
Toivonen
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Wicked Performance Group, Killer B stuff, RCE 3w Clubsport Coilovers, 13:1 rack, alignment, bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

Toivonen will become famous soon enoughToivonen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazNJ View Post
Ok, so I ended up buying the Milltek Catback from LiC Motorsports. Was a pleasure dealing with them and the price wasn't "as horrendous" as elsewhere. Including shipping I probably saved over $400 versus local options. Sold my Corsa to offset some of the cost.

Mind you I'm still suffering from an injured shoulder from doing the install... my chest does NOT fit under the car near the downpipe even when the rear wheels are up on ramps so I had to hyper extend my arms to take the bolts off and put them and the new gasket back on. I recommend a friend so you don't have to hold things up with one hand and torque things with the other.

The Milltek is very high quality overall. It is visually appealing and appears to be constructed well. Cold starts are back to stock volume levels - SIGNIFICANTLY below the volume of both the SPT and the Corsa (My car doesn't rattle windows in the house any more). While cruising, it sounds nice but with subdued volume. It has absolutely zero drone across the entire RPM range.

Apparently I have an EWG as well... I wasn't aware that I did when I had the Corsa on... the Corsa sort of drowned that out. I actually /like/ my EWG now. That's only loud when I really intentionally step on it... and my EWG at 21 PSI is quieter than me attempting to pull up the hill at the end of my street at 25 mph at 6 in the morning with the Corsa on... The local constabulary have now deemed me beneath their notice one again.

If you are looking for an exhaust for your sleeper or family car or you're looking to tame in the volume, I'd highly recommend the Milltek. If you want to hear one in person and you're near Central NJ, I'll be more than glad to meet up.
Wait 500-1000 miles for the Milltek to full break in, when I first got it I thought it was a little too quiet and tame but it has grown not necessarily louder, but more aggressive sounding.

Most people think that a louder exhaust is automatically more sporty or aggressive, and I guess the Subaru crowd has a huge tolerance for loudness as evidenced by the very positive reception of the Corsa exhaust. Sheesh, if drowning out an EWG which is one of the loudest exhaust mods you could possibly make to your car is not a sign of a really loud exhaust, I don't know what is!

But at any rate at a recent autocross there were a few Subarus with different exhausts, including a Perrin, the normal Invidia, Nameless etc. Surprisingly you are seeing more and more ELH cars as well. At any rate all of these cars were a lot louder than the Milltek by a significant margin, yet the Milltek to both me and another experienced Subaru modder and driving instructor was a lot more aggressive.

Yes opinions are like assholes, everybody's got one etc etc etc. People think, just like wine "if I like it then it must be good", but there is an objective way to evaluate things that you may like or dislike. In wine for example you take the complexity of the flavor, how harmonious it is, and above all how complex and long the finish lasts. This last element is probably the most accurate at guiding quality and deciding price. And taking it from an objective point of view, most of these other Subaru exhausts like the Corsa make it seem more fun by cranking it up to 11. But they are not harmonious. It's like hearing a lot of musical instruments all playing at the same time, or in a room full of people shouting, sure, there's your tonality. You hear every pitch of possible sound booming at you at 11/10. Fun for some but cacophonic over harmonious. If you drive long enough in the car, you will damage your hearing and I can confirm this because the Corsa made my ears ring, not to mention the already discussed windows vibraing, 100+dB starts, angry wife, waking up your children, pissed off neighbors, noise violations, failing inspection etc etc etc.

The Milltek takes a different approach, it is very thoroughly engineered to hold up to any mod set from mild to wild, yet provide a harmonious and exotic sound. Rather than just blanket screaming and turning up the volume and the distortion to 11 on everything, it really is very musical, refined sounding, more like a German type car. So it relies on refinement, not just reducing packing (which is also a cheap way to save money by the builder).

Sadly it is expensive, but you get what you pay for. The real tragedy is that the Corsa whose workmanship is far less refined, doesn't fit that well together costs the same.

List price for both these exhausts is north of 1000 dollars, but the difference is they sell lots of Corsas (and Perrins and Invidias and Nameless and Greddy and Cobb though the latter isn't bad). Each Milltek is more or less made to order and you have to pay for the shipping of the individual unit instead of a whole container's worth coming over. But when you compare list price to list price, the Milltek is just so much more substanital, thicker, well put together than at least the Corsa (which felt cheap and tinny) or any other exhaust in this price range. But it doesn't sell enough to get any cheaper than list price which is too bad, because even at "list price" it represents a wonderful value considering the workmanship and refinement.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-15, 05:06 AM   #42
MazNJ
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Spoolinator
My Subaru Parts for sale

MazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to allMazNJ is a name known to all
Default Re: Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

For those interested in the sound:
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 06-22-15, 11:01 AM   #43
CSO
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CSO is on a distinguished road

Good read fellas... if only all over threads carried this much insightfulness.

I think I may switch over to this. I will have ELH and a catless invidia DP to mate with it.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-15, 06:03 PM   #44
Rem1993
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 11 STI Sedan PPB
Fav Mod: Rotated Turbo Kitt
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Rem1993 is on a distinguished road

Good post , I'm looking for a quiet CBE I have the Perrin for my 11 sti sedan and the drone is killing me . I have a catless down pipe and ELH and rotated turbo .
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-05-15, 06:13 PM   #45
Bassler
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: can't play favorites anymore
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Bassler is a jewel in the roughBassler is a jewel in the roughBassler is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem1993 View Post
Good post , I'm looking for a quiet CBE I have the Perrin for my 11 sti sedan and the drone is killing me . I have a catless down pipe and ELH and rotated turbo .
I'm in a similar place, thinking Xmas present to my car...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-18-15, 01:56 PM   #46
Toivonen
Super Moderator

Fav Mod: Wicked Performance Group, Killer B stuff, RCE 3w Clubsport Coilovers, 13:1 rack, alignment, bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassler View Post
I'm in a similar place, thinking Xmas present to my car...
Hey, you can come and hear it again at ADSI! I just got back but it was disappointing for mebecause my MPSS are worn to bits. I see signs of ground scraping more than 1/2 way down the sidewall. I have been using Hoosiers at autocross and track days in warmer weather but they are absolutely worn to the bone. I got 1:31 on the "old course" at ADSI today and despite better coilovers this year last year I got 1:25 but it felt like I was driving on putrid squish. Attribute that somewhat to the cold day because everyone's tires were not hooking up and mostly to my moribund tires.

I think the next ADSI will be a 1/2 day event, we are asking Anthony to do it maybe Nov 8th or Nov 15th.

Always happy to see Subaru owners show up to events like this to drive their cars in anger, the way they should be, safely in a secure environment. And for a car like yours, you can get to real redline 3rd gear speeds, that's all I'm saying, because this isn't your grandfather's parking lot autocross, you get a 1+ mile track of empty, curvey runway.

Objectively speaking I didn't think your car sounded bad, but the Milltek is more complex & aggressive while being quieter as well. Unless you overcook a slalom on the "instructional" part of ADSI causing one of those malignant spinouts. That happens when you exceed the limits of your car, then the tire squeal (and smoke!) kind of overwhelms everything. SCREEEEECH (and cough cough from tire smoke if your windows are down). It's scary for a second, feels like your car will never stop but if you put "two feet in" you will be fine. Then you learn not to ever exceed that threshold ever again, on public roads or otherwise, but you will know.

Come again, there's lots to learn!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-19-15, 04:19 PM   #47
Bassler
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: can't play favorites anymore
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Bassler is a jewel in the roughBassler is a jewel in the roughBassler is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivonen View Post
Hey, you can come and hear it again at ADSI! I just got back but it was disappointing for mebecause my MPSS are worn to bits. I see signs of ground scraping more than 1/2 way down the sidewall. I have been using Hoosiers at autocross and track days in warmer weather but they are absolutely worn to the bone. I got 1:31 on the "old course" at ADSI today and despite better coilovers this year last year I got 1:25 but it felt like I was driving on putrid squish. Attribute that somewhat to the cold day because everyone's tires were not hooking up and mostly to my moribund tires.

I think the next ADSI will be a 1/2 day event, we are asking Anthony to do it maybe Nov 8th or Nov 15th.

Always happy to see Subaru owners show up to events like this to drive their cars in anger, the way they should be, safely in a secure environment. And for a car like yours, you can get to real redline 3rd gear speeds, that's all I'm saying, because this isn't your grandfather's parking lot autocross, you get a 1+ mile track of empty, curvey runway.

Objectively speaking I didn't think your car sounded bad, but the Milltek is more complex & aggressive while being quieter as well. Unless you overcook a slalom on the "instructional" part of ADSI causing one of those malignant spinouts. That happens when you exceed the limits of your car, then the tire squeal (and smoke!) kind of overwhelms everything. SCREEEEECH (and cough cough from tire smoke if your windows are down). It's scary for a second, feels like your car will never stop but if you put "two feet in" you will be fine. Then you learn not to ever exceed that threshold ever again, on public roads or otherwise, but you will know.

Come again, there's lots to learn!

I'll definitely come again!! Every time there was a day on the calendar i'd have something else to do and couldn't make it. Then my Volks came in and RPF1s came off with the ZIIs which turned out to be junk. So i have a set of RPF1s which need new rubber that i haven't done anything about yet and to your point, there is no way i'm going to run the Volks with MPSSs with them being so new. A season or two down the line then different story.

I'd also prefer not to be DDing the car and/or have a way to trailer the car there. That puncture and the ensuing scramble to figure out a way to get it plugged definitely opened by eyes on how best to be prepared. I also developed some spring binding on my T2s at ADSI that i want to better address and have a few other suspension changes i want to make in the spring.

Looking forward to hitting up the big track though! I never got a run on it after the puncture...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-29-15, 06:15 PM   #48
henkster
Joined the Conversation

Car: Aspen White, 08 STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

henkster is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently picked up a used Milltek cat-back, which nicely matches the Milltek downpipe that my local shop had lying around and fitted to my 08 STI a couple of years ago. I totally agree that the Milltek is a more refined sound than the stock with absolutely no rasp or drone, just a soft burble. It has a deeper/slightly louder exhaust note at idle, but is nice and quiet when the engine is under load.

The only downside over some of the other choices is that you hear more rattles, transmission noise.

The upside is that you can really hear stock BPV and turbo noises

I've uploaded a couple of videos of dyno runs yesterday, one that was dialing out the 2800 rpm GR stutter (using a IAP anti-stutter kit and adjusted comp. tables), and the other was a full redline run. In both you can hear that the (nice quiet) dyno is making most of the noise.

Thanks Toivonen, when the exhaust popped up on Craigslist your review and Youtube video really helped in the decision to buy. I'm really happy with the Milltek!

https://www.youtube.com/v/hI0Efo32X2c

https://www.youtube.com/v/7vW3xc8gn2U
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-30-15, 01:00 AM   #49
Toivonen
Super Moderator

My Subaru Parts for sale

You're welcome! It's a neat whose most unique feature is that it allows a very aggressive sound at a modest volume level. The other distinguishing feature of this exhaust is it's the only catback I've ever heard or even seen videos on the GR chassis that still preserves a bit of a rumble and deep sound; all the other catbacks when you go ELH have a raspy higher pitched "buzzing".
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-30-15, 11:18 AM   #50
Rem1993
Master Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: 11 STI Sedan PPB
Fav Mod: Rotated Turbo Kitt
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Rem1993 is on a distinguished road
Default Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

How does the Milltek CBE compare to the new Cobb CBE as quietness if I don't mine not have a 3 inch CBE.

I have a rotated turbo Inv Race El header and Cattless down pipe . I just want stock like quiet maybe a little louder no drone with out spending too much $$$$ on the Milltek. Would the Cobb do the trick

I have a sedan
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement