Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP) - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)
Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

Old 02-12-15, 02:11 PM   #21
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

My HM exhaust was loud all the time and got exponentially more annoying when I did upgrade the headwork/turbo. To me the Corsa is not annoying at all for daily driving, quieter, and way more tolerable than the HM exhaust. However, during spirited driving, I love the Corsa sound because that is when I really want to hear my upgraded cams and turbo sing.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-15, 10:18 AM   #22
TurbOgre
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: DGM 08 STi
Fav Mod: SuperPro Sways
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TurbOgre is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

Great write-up Toivonen. Thanks for the detailed review. I've been shopping around for a quieter exhaust myself. I'm currently running Tomei UELH with an Invidia catted DP and Q300 quad tip on my 2008 GR. I really liked it for awhile. It was fun and mean, but now I'm a bit tired of the boomy nature of my setup and don't appreciate the unwanted attention when I open it up. I've had quite a few cops fly up and follow me for awhile after hearing (not seeing) me do a WOT pull. After a long trip I truly appreciate the sound of the car being off for awhile. It also makes my wife's ears ring.

I'm planning on switching to ELH when I finally upgrade from the stock turbo. This one will be high on my list of potential exhaust replacements.

I was poking around on Milltek's site looking for fitment and pricing. Did you go with just the cat back (SSXSB017)? I didn't find any pricing info, so I guess I'll have to find a distributor nearby.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-13-15, 02:44 PM   #23
Toivonen
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Wicked Performance Group, Killer B stuff, RCE 3w Clubsport Coilovers, 13:1 rack, alignment, bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

Toivonen will become famous soon enoughToivonen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
My HM exhaust was loud all the time and got exponentially more annoying when I did upgrade the headwork/turbo. To me the Corsa is not annoying at all for daily driving, quieter, and way more tolerable than the HM exhaust. However, during spirited driving, I love the Corsa sound because that is when I really want to hear my upgraded cams and turbo sing.
The Corsa is definitely quieter than something really over the top like the Tomei Expreme cat back, and I can see how people like it, but if one is looking for an exhaust that is quiet and about as loud as stock, it does not fit the bill. If I had to pick if it were loud or not and just one like on certain surveys where they want either "yes or no" and no in between, I would lump Corsa with the "loud" exhausts vs a quiet one. The videos all are very similar and I had good mechanics all agreeing it was not installed incorrectly or with a leak. I just think that Subaru drivers in general tend to favor louder exhausts which is fine, but for Subaru drivers who don't want something really loud, they should look for something else.

The one thing with Milltek that I really like is that it is actually slightly quieter than stock with the ELH setup, but perhaps unlike the Tanabe Touring Medallion, it flows the full 3", and more importantly, despite being more or less like stock, also makes everything "sing" like how you'd want it, well maybe 10% less than what might be truly "fun". Still, this is enough to be satisfied and so well that legal problems will not find you; or you can lower the windows, then it sounds lovely (hence Kmanz's comment about it being louder than expected). It's still fairly new because my car was snowed in, but just the whole afternoon running errands, driving it and taking videos it seems to sound better and better with use so maybe the initial "flatness" that I reported is going away. If one is wondering, check out both videos, the second one taken later in the day definitely sounds more aggressive.

And that's the overriding theme of this post, you don't have to be louder than stock to be more fun. Would it be even more fun it if were louder? Yes, but only by a little. It doesn't need to be loud, but it still remains entertaining enough as evidenced by the videos.

I am planning on bringing my gopro on board for a good follow up video if it keeps "breaking in" and sounding more interesting, but more importantly, I want to video my first autocross, probably in late March or early April so one can hear it driven in anger in a place where there are no speed limits. That way the viewer will be able to see the speed/RPM for a good long burst at WOT without worrying about google/youtube reporting me for illegal behavior or exceeding the speed limit and all that cacca.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-15, 12:47 PM   #24
RoMo12
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: 15 WRX STI
Fav Mod: Carbon Fiber Driveshaft
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

RoMo12 will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your well written write up of the Milltek exhaust. I am looking to replace my Q300. It was great during its first few weeks after installation. But now, it drones inside the cabin on the highway under load. On top of this, the fitment is poor and this is supposedly the re-designed Q300 for the 2015 STI. It rattles and it squeals. Worst of it all is working with Invidia for defect/warranty claim. It has been a nightmare for me. I have wasted my resources working with them over this.

Never again Invidia!

I really liked your effort in describing its sound and its loudness. The only thing about this is exhaust is its price point. But at this time, having dealt with Invidia, I think I may just shell out the money. It may just be the exhaust I'm looking for.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-18-15, 05:46 PM   #25
AVonX
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Car: White 09 STi
Fav Mod: 18GXT-R w.EWG
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

AVonX is on a distinguished road

If quiet is wanted with 3" flow, would it be a lot cheaper to have a shop fab a 3" pipe to the stock muffler?

I'm honestly asking if this is an option since I have an HM but considering ELH eventually. But don't want to lose the 3" flow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-15, 11:38 AM   #26
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVonX View Post
If quiet is wanted with 3" flow, would it be a lot cheaper to have a shop fab a 3" pipe to the stock muffler?

I'm honestly asking if this is an option since I have an HM but considering ELH eventually. But don't want to lose the 3" flow.
I actually initially got a 3" midpipe and kept the stock muffler after I upgraded the turbo. It was the worst mistake of my life. What I thought would have been quiet became 100% rasp. I think the increased flow overwhelmed the stock axleback muffler That day I picked up my car JJ told me something along the lines of "your car is a million bucks with the rotated kit, but it sounds like a Honda" Subsequently that forced my hand to buy an actual catback.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-22-15, 08:22 PM   #27
8cd03gro
Advanced Mastery Level II

My Subaru Parts for sale

8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough8cd03gro is a jewel in the rough

You're telling me you bought a Dom 1.5 after the whole debate about nobody using more than stage 2 power?
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-01-15, 04:00 AM   #28
rnebiker14
Advanced Contributor Level 4

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

rnebiker14 is on a distinguished road

Well not to bump this whole debate, but i installed my nameless exhaust yesterday.. and took it off immediately..

Even the 5 inch mufflers which are supposed to be quiet..Raspy city..

I just ordered the COBB catback, i really hope this is a good combo with my ELH, as i have heard that it is very tame..

I can't explain how frustrated I am right now with exhausts.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-15, 12:20 AM   #29
aijii
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

aijii is an unknown quantity at this point

how did the Cobb go ?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-16-15, 06:58 PM   #30
Beezupra
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Car: 14 WRB STI 5dr
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Beezupra is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm about to add ELH and 3" catted DP and get a new custom tune. Planning on seeing how it is with the stock exhaust. Sure hope that won't be a raspy combo. Anyone care to estimate how much HP keeping the stock exhaust will cost me, compared to topping off these upgrades with a 3" like the Milltek?

Quiet is important enough to me that I'd probably have to go Milltek if I go 3" exhaust. But could be tough to go that brand, all bad experiences with my Audis
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement