Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP) - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)
Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > > Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

Old 02-09-15, 03:19 PM   #11
uschearak
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver 15' STI base
Fav Mod: IWSTI Knowledge
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

uschearak has a spectacular aura aboutuschearak has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

holy gauges batman!!!

But seriously great review, other than the stock restriction, why not stay stock?

Last edited by uschearak; 02-09-15 at 04:32 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-15, 05:48 PM   #12
brysons
Becoming A Contributor

Fav Mod: carbon_designs interior
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brysons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Milltek Exhaust Subaru Cat Back Review (Killer B ELH, Dom 1.5, Catted DP)

Toivonen, I've been following your search for the right exhaust (for you), and I'm glad you've found it! I haven't had anything to contribute to the conversation, but I wanted to say thank you for going out of your way to record these videos for us. The videos and your review are very helpful, and I think I'll have to add this exhaust to my shopping list now.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-09-15, 07:33 PM   #13
Toivonen
Super Moderator
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2013 STi Hatch
Fav Mod: Wicked Performance Group, Killer B stuff, RCE 3w Clubsport Coilovers, 13:1 rack, alignment, bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

Toivonen will become famous soon enoughToivonen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysons View Post
Toivonen, I've been following your search for the right exhaust (for you), and I'm glad you've found it! I haven't had anything to contribute to the conversation, but I wanted to say thank you for going out of your way to record these videos for us. The videos and your review are very helpful, and I think I'll have to add this exhaust to my shopping list now.
I appreciate the kind words. I am trying to atone for how nasty I was with my reaction to the Corsa. Anger and hatred are the dark side of the force, but it was a lesson learned. So what do I have to offer?

The Milltek deserves credit because it is fun and rich enough on its subtle, refined sound considering how damn quiet it is. In other word what distinguishes the Milltek is its fun, sporty, aggressive yet subdued note that doesn't rely on loud volume to be fun combined with the possibility of 3" flow. There are other "fun" exhausts too but IMHO they all are more fun because they use loudness.

It may not be a big niche, but this is an exhaust that deserves consideration as it shows OEM like noise levels, with all their legal advantages, can actually be enjoyable if muffled properly into something aggressive yet subtle and still get the benefits of full turbo back flow.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-15, 03:01 AM   #14
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

My Subaru Parts for sale

KManZ will become famous soon enoughKManZ will become famous soon enough

Exhaust sounds really good, man! Thanks for going out of your way to record some videos!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-10-15, 01:36 PM   #15
mofoSTI
Advanced Mastery Level IV

Car: 08 STI,sr20det 510
Fav Mod: boob job for wife
My Subaru Parts for sale

mofoSTI is on a distinguished road

For fun one day I'll send you my catback. Just to see you go off on a longer than long rant on crap exhausts lol. Nice review btw. I'm looking at the blitz nur for my GR.
HMS stage 3 forged shortblock, HTA68 8cm, Cobb intake, Perrin inlet, perrin dual catted DP, 3” cat back, Tomei EL headers/uppipe coated, Cobb 1000cc, Cobb flex fuel and AP, grimmspeed ebc, perrin pully, tgv deletes, AEM fuel pump, , Raduim fuel rails, Radium catch can, Radium FPR, air pump delete, Killer B pick up tube, H&R coilovers, 22mm Perrin rear bar, Perrin psrs. 345whp 345wtq 20psi 92oct FTW tune, 332whp 330wtq 18psi PRE tune, 287whp 277wtq 16psi HMS tune: 332whp 329wtq on E85 19psi
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-11-15, 02:35 AM   #16
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I was actually thinking about this on my drive in to work this morning... your exhaust volume level sounds about as loud as my car, Corsa exhaust and all
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-11-15, 11:07 AM   #17
Toivonen
Super Moderator

Fav Mod: Wicked Performance Group, Killer B stuff, RCE 3w Clubsport Coilovers, 13:1 rack, alignment, bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofoSTI View Post
For fun one day I'll send you my catback. Just to see you go off on a longer than long rant on crap exhausts lol. Nice review btw. I'm looking at the blitz nur for my GR.
No because from the sound of how you are implying your exhaust is, my expectation is that it would be very loud and likely met. While I dislike loud exhausts, since I would pay zero for it no harm no foul. I'd just say "fart can is as fart can does" or something like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManZ View Post
I was actually thinking about this on my drive in to work this morning... your exhaust volume level sounds about as loud as my car, Corsa exhaust and all
This is why videos are deceiving. There is a lot to say about this so let me try and be succinct.

First off I had mentioned in my review that the video is louder than what the exhaust sounds like in real life. Since the Milltek might appeal to people who want a less loud exhaust, I went out of my way to speak a lot as well as leave things on like the radar detector or to find other background noises for comparison, and it's not that loud.

So the video's loudness might be because you have to turn it up to hear it properly, and there are lots of other noises that blend in as one. This happens because a human has two ears so each side gets a little different interpretation with your head blocking more than some sound from the opposite side. Your brain puts it together so two microphones (ears) are better at picking up indvidual sounds particularly if there are different noises from each side than just one ear or microphone. Just put an earplug in one ear and walk around for a while, you'll see what I mean. With just one lousy, old 2008 era I-touch speaker microphone, all the NVH from fully stiffened driveline, chassis and suspension kind of meld in as one. It's a noisy car, and while those chassis, supension and driveline noises are much louder than your typical car, when you hear my speech or the radar detector they are still not super loud. But they are louder than the exhaust and instead of drowning it out, give it more perceived volume and "booming" than it really has because without two ears from listening in person, you can't tell the difference. This is why all recordings, even of your kid's voice, sound different than real life.

Lastly I kept the window open for most of the pulls and driving because under normal conditions you can hardly hear the exhaust windows up, and I wanted to accentuate this otherwise quiet exhaust as much as possible so the end user could use it to make the best decision knowing it would be softer in real life having been advised of such.

Do realize it is a bit louder than stock outside, but less loud than stock inside. At some speeds or engine loads the stock catback would not quite drone, but invade the passenger compartment with a bit of intrusive noise that if it was significantly louder, would be classified as "drone", particularly at engine speeds over 3000rpm or cruise speeds over 75mph. Milltek never does that. Any speed car or engine, any gear, it never even comes close to being intrusive so I feel it actually muffles more effectively while still making for a fun sound. Thus I give it credit because as you hear, it's a fun sounding exhaust but it accomplishes that through refinement abstaining from the easy way out, by making it louder.

As far as perceived differences fro Corsa, I can give you objective evidence that it's a lot, lot, lot softer than the Corsa on all fronts, and I can use the following as impartial evidence in addition to the above:

1. Almost everyone in my life noticed a big difference right away and made comments noticing how much softer the Milltek is.
2. Wife in particular not only made very disparaging remarks about the Corsa when I had it but as per #1 when I got home with the Milltek she immediately greeted me with this phrase just about verbatim: "I don't know what you did to fix it but I am so glad your car doesn't have that noisy asshole exhaust anymore" (see my previous posts about her using 7 letter word that starts with the letter "A").
3. Mechanic who made unsolicited comments that I would be hard pressed to pass inspection with Corsa subsequently made comments "This one is a lot quieter" about Milltek after he installed it. This is why I keep mentioning "passing inspection" as a potential problem because had I kept the Corsa on, I would probably not have passed and had to take it off anyway.
4. Windows don't rattle any more if I have to go back in the house after first starting the car.
5. I don't have that "ear ringing" or "exposed to too much noise beat up" feeling after more extended drives any more.

So in summary seeing as how many of the below apply to me as well, I can report that Milltek is a good choice for those who:
-want a more fun sounding exhaust than stock that relies on refinement, not volume for this theatrical effect
-don't want to give up the quietness of a stock exhaust at all
-on that note desire a sleeper car
-on that note don't want to draw attention to themselves
-on that note don't want legal headaches such as LEO attention or failing inspection associated with louder than stock exhausts
-may need or desire 3" flow in their application

Last edited by Toivonen; 02-11-15 at 11:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-12-15, 03:09 AM   #18
KManZ
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toivonen View Post
This is why videos are deceiving. There is a lot to say about this so let me try and be succinct.

First off I had mentioned in my review that the video is louder than what the exhaust sounds like in real life. Since the Milltek might appeal to people who want a less loud exhaust, I went out of my way to speak a lot as well as leave things on like the radar detector or to find other background noises for comparison, and it's not that loud.

<snip>

So in summary seeing as how many of the below apply to me as well, I can report that Milltek is a good choice for those who:
-want a more fun sounding exhaust than stock that relies on refinement, not volume for this theatrical effect
-don't want to give up the quietness of a stock exhaust at all
-on that note desire a sleeper car
-on that note don't want to draw attention to themselves
-on that note don't want legal headaches such as LEO attention or failing inspection associated with louder than stock exhausts
-may need or desire 3" flow in their application
I wasn't attacking your position or trying to detract from your personal preferences or choices, just giving you a hard time is all

I had a Tanabe Medallion Touring -which is more quiet than stock-... not only did I feel like I spent money for nothing, it was so boring. If I'm spending big $$$ on a noise maker, it should at least make noise different enough from stock to justify the purchase. While I can appreciate the 3" diameter the Milltek offers, I can't for the life of me figure out why it costs an arm and a leg.

The other problem I have with too quiet of an exhaust is having to listen to the little shitty interior rattles that a higher volume exhaust covers up

Last edited by KManZ; 02-12-15 at 03:53 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-12-15, 05:48 AM   #19
user1029
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Fav Mod: HTA86.
My Subaru Parts for sale

user1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud ofuser1029 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I wasn't attacking your position or trying to detract from your personal preferences or choices, just giving you a hard time is all

I had a Tanabe Medallion Touring -which is more quiet than stock-... not only did I feel like I spent money for nothing, it was so boring. If I'm spending big $$$ on a noise maker, it should at least make noise different enough from stock to justify the purchase. While I can appreciate the 3" diameter the Milltek offers, I can't for the life of me figure out why it costs an arm and a leg.

The other problem I have with too quiet of an exhaust is having to listen to the little shitty interior rattles that a higher volume exhaust covers up Image Link
I agree, I also had the Tanabe Medallion Touring and it was also too quiet. The Tanabe was definitely a welcomed downgrade from the 3" droney/loud Harman Motive exhaust but it was just too boring and the 2.75" was restrictive at my power levels. That's why I switched it out after 2 months for the Corsa due to the advertised zero drone and I haven't looked back since. The Corsa netted me 10 wtq and 250rpms of earlier spool over the loud 3" HM exhaust and it is very tolerable for all the daily driving I do, zero complaints from my passengers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-12-15, 09:17 AM   #20
Toivonen
Super Moderator

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:

The other problem I have with too quiet of an exhaust is having to listen to the little shitty interior rattles that a higher volume exhaust covers up Image Link
No offense taken; this post is about a quieter exhaust and making sure the potential buyer knows what they are getting into.

I get your point about if you spend the money you want more noise, but IMHO the charm of the Milltek is that it sounds more fun than stock while maintaining the same noise level, so they have to work on the tone itself and not just making it noisy.

This is exactly why it's expensive, because a cheap(er) exhaust like the Corsa doesn't spend as much on the parts and quality control and can be tinny and thin walled which is why it's loud(er). You have to pay for thicker, better quality metals as well as more packing in terms of material cost.

But the overarching point of my essay, and the third big advantage of the Milltek, is that it gives 3" flow with stock like noise. It doesn't necessarily apply to me, but if you're extremely highly modded like User1029, you can have all those mods, all the flow you want, and still be quiet enough to pass inspection because all the other mods do a lot to make the car extra noisy which leads me to my next thought....

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1029 View Post
I agree, I also had the Tanabe Medallion Touring and it was also too quiet. The Tanabe was definitely a welcomed downgrade from the 3" droney/loud Harman Motive exhaust but it was just too boring and the 2.75" was restrictive at my power levels. That's why I switched it out after 2 months for the Corsa due to the advertised zero drone and I haven't looked back since. The Corsa netted me 10 wtq and 250rpms of earlier spool over the loud 3" HM exhaust and it is very tolerable for all the daily driving I do, zero complaints from my passengers.

I wonder about why someone with as much power as yourself would want such a loud exhaust though because everything from the DP to the headers, intakes, cams and just running 500+whp will be simply noisier. I mean, people want to "hear the rumble more" and do have mod plans to begin with, but no one realizes that for example, a DP will make the car both more deep and louder and more powerful all in one swoop without shelling out the big bucks for a full TBE.

Datalogs of my old Corsa were more or less identical to my Milltek. I don't know about dyno passes and wtq, but spool was identical. Actually Milltek spooled slightly sooner by a few rpm's but when I logged it was also a lot colder.

Again it's psychoacoustics, I think to call Corsa quiet is misleading. Your videos and those of others I have heard were not that different from my own experience with this exhaust yet our reactions to this exhaust are pretty much diametrically opposite. And in all truth, there are more than a few exhausts that are even louder. I am learning about terminology, to me "Drone" was basically any invasive noise into the cabin, not just low pitched ones. To me the stock STi with stock everything droned aplenty, it was "just right" in terms of loudness, at least from the exhaust anyway. But apparently "drone" is just low pitched noise. So what do you call invasive exhaust noise that the owner finds inhibits them from being able to think?

But even with a louder exhaust like the Corsa, when you run 8k/8k or 8k/9k springs, camber plates and full bushings everywhere and as much bracing as possible, there is no way you're not going to hear the body panels creak and the driveline whine and road noise. Hence why the Milltek sounds louder than it really is in the video because the recorder merges all those noises into one. But your ears appreciate it better individually. At least to me I like this way of exhibiting "tonality" much better.

I have to mention an aside now. I fired a ship's salute cannon last year. The day later I felt like I had huge pressure in one ear and much decreased hearing. I didn't know if it was noise exposure but I know healthcare wise if you have one sided hearing loss it's bad. So I went to the ENT who did a hearing test, told me it was either a cold or exposure to loud noise (probably both) and except for that slight tone deafness which went away, I was found to have much, much, much better than average hearing. So I am a hyperacoustic. I can pick up faint sounds, but I cannot hear (and get hugely vexed) in a loud room with loud noises.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement