I need your opinion on an electrical problem - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
I need your opinion on an electrical problem
I need your opinion on an electrical problem
Go Back   STI Forums > > > I need your opinion on an electrical problem

Old 09-19-19, 08:08 AM   #1
DocBlackAdder
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: NOT E.T.Tuning in Union,MO
My Subaru Parts for sale

DocBlackAdder is on a distinguished road
Default I need your opinion on an electrical problem

I got a new alternator about a year ago. A little while after that, I noticed that the plastic connector on top of the alternator was melted. (I thought it had melted from the old alternator going bad and wasn't a current problem, so I didn't think much of it.)
Recently, it actually got hot enough that it burned the plastic. I took it to the dealership and they quoted me around $2000 to replace the alternator and the wire that was connected at that point.
I looked on Subarupartstore.com and found I could get those two things for less than $700.

Am I missing something here? The wire looks to be pretty straightforward. It isn't that much work to trade out the alternator. Where is $1300 in labor coming from?
Is there something else that needs to be replaced that I'm not getting? Only those two things were mentioned on the estimate.

I need your opinion on an electrical problem-alternate-problem-jpg
Attached Thumbnails
I need your opinion on an electrical problem-alternate-problem-jpg  

The report notes the driver was "alert and conscious" after the wreck. Too bad he wasn't before the impact.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-19, 08:31 AM   #2
enoxard
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: kung f00 skillz!
My Subaru Parts for sale

enoxard has a spectacular aura aboutenoxard has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: I need your opinion on an electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBlackAdder View Post
Where is $1300 in labor coming from?
15$/hr min wage, health care for all, and endless wars.. somebodys got to pay for that.. that person is you.

oh yeah, at 1000$/mo for every man, woman, and child..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-19-19, 09:28 AM   #3
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

This happened to me when I didn't have the nut tight on the alternator causing too much resistance which melted the plastic.

I just tightened the nut down, and went on my way. its been like that for 3 years now

but the wire that you're replacing isn't difficult to fix. The quote is because it takes 10 hours to do likely. 125 an hour for labor costs adds up.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-19, 05:39 AM   #4
DocBlackAdder
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

What I don't see is how it would take 10 hours. It just goes to the fuse box and there's like 5 connections along the way.

The report notes the driver was "alert and conscious" after the wreck. Too bad he wasn't before the impact.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-20-19, 06:33 AM   #5
enoxard
Advanced Mastery Level III

Fav Mod: kung f00 skillz!
My Subaru Parts for sale

enoxard has a spectacular aura aboutenoxard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
What I don't see is how it would take 10 hours. It just goes to the fuse box and there's like 5 connections along the way.
whether or not it takes 10 hours is irrelevant, they charge what the book says.. and i think he was using assumed hours and rate to communicate how cost is calculated.

they may also have padded that in case something else is discovered along the way. after all, it was just an 'estimate'.

give it a try.. if you get in over your head, at least youll know about what itll cost to get it straight.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-20-19, 07:11 AM   #6
Leemanfor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoxard View Post
whether or not it takes 10 hours is irrelevant, they charge what the book says.. and i think he was using assumed hours and rate to communicate how cost is calculated.

they may also have padded that in case something else is discovered along the way. after all, it was just an 'estimate'.

give it a try.. if you get in over your head, at least youll know about what itll cost to get it straight.
This

the book may say 10 hours, but a competent tech can get it done in less and pocket the other money.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-20-19, 11:39 AM   #7
DocBlackAdder
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
This

the book may say 10 hours, but a competent tech can get it done in less and pocket the other money.
I am very slow when it comes to repairs, but I bet even I could do this within 2 hours time.
I will post my time when I get back from vacation in a week.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-22-19, 07:39 AM   #8
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by enoxard View Post

Yes this^ This is how flat rate works. There may or may not be some additional time added to this repair for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemanfor View Post
This

When it comes to flat rate, you're paying for the experience and time that the technician has invested in order be to able to get that 10hr job done quickly. The better the tech, the faster your can get your car back without issues. BTW, the tech makes a very small amount of what the actual bill is. Alot of times, dealers techs only get paid on labor and the pay for them isnt the actual labor rate being charged to the customer. Just some food for thought

Quote:
I am very slow when it comes to repairs, but I bet even I could do this within 2 hours time.
I will post my time when I get back from vacation in a week.
Let us know how it goes, im curious myself to see if this is actually a 10hr job lol
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-01-19, 06:23 PM   #9
DocBlackAdder
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Back from vacation.

It took 3 hours. That is including having to find a replacement nut, since the old one was damaged by arcing, cleaning up the battery connections, and putting NoAlOx on some of the connections.

If I did this for a living, I imagine it would have taken 2 hours or less. That's about $600 an hour that the dealership wanted.

I don't know yet if it works since I decided while I had it apart to rewire the Hella horns and replace the grill. I hope it doesn't start melting again when I reconnect everything.

Edit: I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I noticed the old alternator said that it was a "remanufactured" one.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-19, 07:37 AM   #10
Leemanfor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

good to know

what part number did you order? I'd like to replace this on mine as well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement