Old 08-30-19, 02:10 AM   #1
Fabe
Joined the Conversation
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Fabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flywheel

My 08 STi has a rear main seal leak, so I'm gonna do the clutch one time and maybe a lightened flywheel. Do you guys have any recommendations on a flywheel for that car?? Or should I leave that alone??
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-19, 03:01 AM   #2
UrdnotWrexSTi
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: Aspen White GR STi
Fav Mod: Coilovers
My Subaru Parts for sale

UrdnotWrexSTi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Flywheel

Stock
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-19, 06:18 AM   #3
Jay11STI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Car: 2011 SWP STi Sedan
Fav Mod: EWG & The Look On Your Face
My Subaru Parts for sale

Jay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura aboutJay11STI has a spectacular aura about

I would agree with stock flywheel and upgraded clutch kit. What are your mods, power levels, miles, driving styles, ect ect.

It would probably be better to just replace the flywheel instead of having it resurfaced.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-19, 06:41 AM   #4
Tifosi
Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Tifosi is on a distinguished road

Unless your car is a dedicated track car that sees little to none daily duties, stay stock.

As for new or resurfaced, that depends on the machine shop doing the resurfacing. As long as it is being done correctly, there is little advantage, if any, in a new flywheel.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-19, 06:57 AM   #5
Fabe
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks for the info guys!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-30-19, 09:23 PM   #6
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Depends: What are your mods, power levels, miles, driving styles, ect.

If you never mind you clutch now, and live in flat territory - like me - then you can easily run any flywheel clutch combo you like. In fact if you live in flat territory never mind your starts now, and are performance oriented you will go light weight. Period.

five years ago I hesitated and tried an ACT Streetlight (15.5lbs) a slightly lighter than stock model on my Cobb stage 2 GD. I was happy with the small difference it made in rev speed. That year a friend bought the cheapest online clutch kit he could find that included a flywheel. it was super light - like 12lbs. No issues. In fact the only time I actually drove that car was in the mountains in VA, I was quite surprised how drive-able it was. Over the last couple of years I had two ACT-HDSSs fail prematurely. I swore off ACT and most of this year I've been running an Excedy Hyper Single, an ultralight flywheel & clutch kit on the built car. I commute 100mi/day with it. No issue. I do have to rev it a bit more and feather the throttle sometimes, but not an issue for anyone good with a clutch. It would make it a poor car to learn stick in .

I don't see a location in the OPS' profile. But:
I would stay stock lived in a mountainous area.
I'd run try a street light if I lived in hills.
In flat terrain there is almost no reason not to run what you want - unless you want to break a mileage/life record with your clutch and you are willing to be that easy on it . If your a building a performance vehicle then I'd lean on the light side. That's just me - and I have the experience to know what I want.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 08-31-19 at 05:04 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-19, 04:49 AM   #7
Fabe
Joined the Conversation

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm in NYC so its definitely flat terrain but what I'm concerned with is a lot of light to light pulls, and I'm definitely taking it to the drag strip so idk if the lite flywheel is gonna eventually cause me to break something
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-19, 06:00 AM   #8
Tifosi
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

In my opinion, LWF will give you better performance and no impact on reliability. However, it has tremendous impact on drivability and longevity of the clutch. Since you are in NYC, and I used to live there, I would strongly recommend against it, especially if it is your daily. LWF will cause more chatter with 1st gear start, and as a result, can lead to more wear on the clutch since you will need to modulate it more under normal daily use. Needless to say, drivability is very subjective and will also depend on the combination of the kit you chose to go with. And if you do have your heart set on LWF, then definitely go with a complete LWF/clutch kit and not just stock clutch and stock pressure plate with LWF.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-31-19, 07:41 AM   #9
mheyman
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't disagree with Tifosi at all. My experience in NYC (I don't live there but I do travel there - in fact I flew into JFK last night) an STI might be a PIA in general. But, I don't see a Streetlite making much difference in either performance or drive-ability. If I were racing it in any style where it did not change my class, I'd consider it. I ran mine with an Excedy Stage 1 Organic clutch. So my recommendation would be do it only if you need a flywheel anyway. When I did it, it was to avoid waiting for a shop to resurface the stock one and like the OP, I had reservations about going too light. Turned out the Streetlite was a complete non-issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
if you do have your heart set on LWF, then definitely go with a complete LWF/clutch kit and not just stock clutch and stock pressure plate with LWF.
Curious as to why you feel this why - or exactly what you are trying to express/achieve? Some comments about it:

All lightweight assembly kits are quite performance oriented and have all the negatives you've described. Tougher starts, more vibration and and shorter life. Picking a stock or closer to stock clutch can minimize this with thicker more durable disks and partly because the pressure-plate is heavy and part of the always rotating assembly.

ADDED: Anyway the OP asked about light weight flywheels - he was considering one. His post wasn't I hate my commute, I hate my clutch, traffic is awful, what can I do to make my car easier to drive. What I am telling him is that an ACT streetlight with std steel basket clutch is very low risk, albeit with minimal gain in performance.

If you think you should have lower r's at cruise you're in the wrong car

I become a more loyal IAG customer every time I drive my STI

Last edited by mheyman; 09-01-19 at 03:26 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-04-19, 06:23 AM   #10
Tifosi
Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
I wouldn't disagree with Tifosi at all. My experience in NYC (I don't live there but I do travel there - in fact I flew into JFK last night) an STI might be a PIA in general. But, I don't see a Streetlite making much difference in either performance or drive-ability. If I were racing it in any style where it did not change my class, I'd consider it. I ran mine with an Excedy Stage 1 Organic clutch. So my recommendation would be do it only if you need a flywheel anyway. When I did it, it was to avoid waiting for a shop to resurface the stock one and like the OP, I had reservations about going too light. Turned out the Streetlite was a complete non-issue.

Curious as to why you feel this why - or exactly what you are trying to express/achieve? Some comments about it:

All lightweight assembly kits are quite performance oriented and have all the negatives you've described. Tougher starts, more vibration and and shorter life. Picking a stock or closer to stock clutch can minimize this with thicker more durable disks and partly because the pressure-plate is heavy and part of the always rotating assembly.

ADDED: Anyway the OP asked about light weight flywheels - he was considering one. His post wasn't I hate my commute, I hate my clutch, traffic is awful, what can I do to make my car easier to drive. What I am telling him is that an ACT streetlight with std steel basket clutch is very low risk, albeit with minimal gain in performance.
Many people has been mesmerized by the notion of "enhanced performance" without a real understanding of its side effects, my younger self included. Most shops and vendors will try to talk up their service and products to make a sale, just look on any forum, they are all littered with threads of bad decisions and many of those does end in the sale of the car.

Going to LWF setup is not like changing to interior LEDs or switching to front license re-locator. LWF will change a car's drivability and the OP should know that before making his/her decision. Knowledge helps one to make better decisions.

As for my recommendation of going with a kit, you of all people should know that with everything we alter on our car, there will be an after effect, some more major than others. Clutch system is responsible for transmitting energy/power from the engine to the driving wheels. Ideally, you want to do this with minimal energy loss and as smoothly as possible. The three main components of the clutch system are flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate. It is not always easy to figure out what change will cause the mod to go out of spec with the rest of the parts, so depending on how big of a change the OP decides on going with, it may be wiser to go with a kit and get it done in one service instead of figuring it out on his/her own. I am sure you know already that not all vendors are equal, lots of "sponsors" are here so they can make their mortgage.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement