~07 sti is born~...Final chapter - Page 33 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
~07 sti is born~...Final chapter
~07 sti is born~...Final chapter
Go Back   STI Forums > > > ~07 sti is born~...Final chapter

Old 12-22-10, 05:40 PM   #321
pharo
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: Q-Rack/DTC-70s
My Subaru Parts for sale

pharo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ~07 sti is born~...She's a feind for octane!

Hey man, sorry to hear about the issues, I keep fearing my motor will go and am so worried about getting a built motor. I had a ton of issues at Buttonwillow monday, but luckily my car is still running (*knock on wood*).

Instead of meth (because subarus don't have as many failsafes as evos) why not e85? I know its harder to deal with, but I would just feel so much safer running it.

Good luck man!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-10, 06:47 PM   #322
tyler_sti
Advanced Mastery Level V
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Fav Mod: Not knowing how to "spell" hah
My Subaru Parts for sale

tyler_sti is on a distinguished road

Sup pharo long time no see hahah. I was hopping you wouldn't have any trouble at button willow, as I remember you posting about being worried about an up coming track day.

Here's my delima with e85. I have already deeply considered it, and would have been tuned for it already.

Problem #1: Availability, currently I belive there to be no more than 3 stations in all of socal That right there is the sole reason I didn't opt for e85.

#2: I would need 1000-1300cc injectors, which isn't bad but is another cost at hand considering the whole deal.

#3: localization I am lucky enough to have a station within 5mi. of my house but thats the only station until you get to norcal, or san diego haha. I daily drive my car, and not being able to readily purchase full at a 76 gas station is like being locked to you're local station with a ball and chain.

#4: While recently visiting my local subaru mechanic he pulled me into the shop to show me a block they were tearing down. He said it was one of the worst he's seen(been in the business for 30+years). We walk over to the shortblock with the heads removed so you could see the cylinder walls. He asked me to run my finger along the piston wall, as I did I could feel a 1-3mm of material missing from the piston wall continuing for the full stroke of the piston. He explained to me as I "think" I understand that the e85 effectivly ate away the small oil film that's supposed to be maintained on the cylindar wall, thus making the piston eat it's way through the metal in an insane fashion. After that motor he strongly suggest against the fuel even considering it's amazing property's for making power and increasing octane. Last but not least

#5: Fuel consumption correct me if I'm wrong number wise but e85 consumes up to 30% more fuel volume to achieve the same power(thus the larger injectors). I can't be going to the gas station 4 times a week. I enjoy going to the canyons, no e85 up there, or near the track.

So basically what it comes down to is either having my own personal fuel truck follow me around 24/7, and running the possible risk of completely frying my new forged motor or simply buying a meth kit and retune.

Do you kind of see my train of thought there for why I opted for meth It's insanely easy to obtain/mix fill up. Has a decent consumtion rate, and I can still fill up at my regular gas station. I believe the convenience/safety factor of meth greatly out weighs the power adder advantage of e85. Because at the moment thats the only advantage the e85 would offer me. Give renner motorsport a call and ask to speak with IVO he'll give you his personal opinion on e85 and the effects it can have. Thanks for the response man, it's good to hear from you!!

Who cares about mod lists anymore? Hahah

Last edited by tyler_sti; 12-22-10 at 06:51 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-23-10, 09:32 AM   #323
pharo

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yea, luckily all the issues were solved with duct tape, a screwdriver, and towel

Those are some really interesting points Tyler. My potential plan was to run e85 in the future, but have about 30 gallons at a time in my garage, and a full tank when I leave the station so I could at least drive around for a week or two at a time. But, it definitely is a pain, and I can see why you would consider it a "ball and chain".

I had no idea that a piston would through the wall like that due to e85, wow, that would really frighten me too haha. I think meth is an awesome option, I just wish we had a failsafe likes evos that switches instantly to a low timing, wastegate boost map if an injector has issues. I know that they have that one mechanical solution, but I guess I see it as something that can go wrong in a really bad way. But then again, I haven't done my due dilligence, so I am sure there are a lot of options today that I am unaware of to make it safer. Good luck, and I hope after we both sort out our cars we can finally get a track day in together!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-10, 12:31 PM   #324
tyler_sti
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Seriously man it's been to long. As for the newer age meth kits, I've been in a few cars when the fail safes have worked, they work so fast that you don't even notice they reacted except for the power loss and flow meter blinking. Once I have my kit I will report back with real world results. All I know is that every car I've been in with meth, I wish I could have my car run that way haha

Keep me updated on what you decide to do gas and motor wise man!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-28-11, 11:50 PM   #325
tyler_sti
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Just thought I'd Come back to leave a final rest in piece to my journal. The car has been sold for about 6 months now, I WILL BE BACK GUYS! In due time I should have another subaru in my life, hopefully a nice gc silver on gold To all of those who have followed and given great advice I thank you. Hopefully some new people here can learn from my trials and errors. See you guys soon, over and out!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-29-11, 03:02 PM   #326
pharo

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: ~07 sti is born~...Final chapter

Can't wait to see you back with your new subie! Make sure to keep a journal! What are you dd-ing for the interim?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-01-11, 02:37 AM   #327
A-man
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Fav Mod: Group N bushings
My Subaru Parts for sale

A-man is an unknown quantity at this point

Come on back with a new Subie. I know you enjoyed the previous one.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-08-13, 06:09 PM   #328
tyler_sti
Advanced Mastery Level V

My Subaru Parts for sale

Just saying whatuppp guys, to you OG's out there hola holaa. Im gona be trolling the forums more now, an still tfy an help who ever i can, i get so many pm's its time to help aga in. Whats up folk!!!!!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement