GD: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - Page 12 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy"
Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy"
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy"

Old 10-29-18, 06:13 PM   #111
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy" - Final event of the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthlead View Post
Looks like it was a lot of fun! Sorry to hear about the issues with the expansion tank and exhaust, I can't believe it was hit hard enough to cause a restriction like that :\

I have an IAG aos... its just, ok. It comes with zip ties instead of hose clamps but it seems to do the job.

It was crazy with the exhaust. I really didn't think it would affect too much knowing how catbacks don't tend to affect power. At the advice of a trusted shop though I decided to put the Tomei back on. I didn't really expect anything but it pulls noticeably harder in the upper RPM range now. I had also been getting small amounts of fine knock learning while cruising... nothing at WOT so I wasn't too concerned, but little bits I was trying to track down. Completely gone with the Tomei on there. Looking at the damaged one though, it did neck down to probably about 1.5" right before the muffler where the damage was the worst.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-18, 06:23 PM   #112
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Looks like you've been having a bit of good and bad luck eh? Good to see you weren't stranded and got that reservoir sorted. Spilling coolant on the engine is shitty and not fun to clean up, ask me how i know :\

Congrats on the win though!

I would use JDM fog bezels for your ducts, not sure the USDM ones are big enough for any effective flow, my .02. I have a 2.5gal extinguisher and a mount on the front bottom of the passenger seat. When I get home I can update you exactly with what I have, can't recall if it's Halon or not; I wanna say it's drychem. You should absolutely install an AOS, I used hoseclamps on all those connections.
Yup, exactly. Having some challenges, but overall everything is running pretty well. Actually just had the clutch safety switch go out this last week. I'd turn the key, nothing at all would happen. I could play with the switch under the dash by hand and get it to start though. Got a new switch from the dealer for $20 and swapped it in -- everything is great again.

The coolant tank was actually kinda funny. It let go on a fun run and one of the last runs anyone was able to do for the day. My girlfriend was taking the car for a couple laps and I had just been encouraging her to push it harder. We got off track and she was saying "I'm just always kinda worried about breaking something..." when we started smelling coolant and a huge cloud of steam started coming out from under the hood In the end it was no big deal. Took longer to clean the coolant off everything than it did to swap the part.

Good thought on the JDM bezels... I wonder how tough those are to source. And how big of diameter the USDM ones are.

I'd definitely be interested in what mount you have and how you like it. Not something I really want mounted all the time, but I like the idea of having it for track days.

AOS... I've gone back and forth for a long time on that. I've never run one on this car or any of my other Subarus, including my 200k Stg2 bugeye. But as I start to push the car harder and harder it's starting to seem like a good move.

I'm a bit torn between the IAG and the KillerB ones. I like the simplicity of the KillerB... after reading their writeup on the logic of not heating it I'm leaning that way. Not super stoked though on the high price tag... about a $100 premium over the IAG. Thinking though with the simpler design I would be able to install it myself fairly easily though... vs the IAG I'd probably end up spending more than that on having a shop install it for me. Just not sure I'd feel comfortable tearing that much of everything apart alone.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-30-18, 09:21 PM   #113
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Wrx fog covers should do fine. I use them and have not had an issue. I actually plumb hoses from them to the Roo Ducts then no hose from the Roo ducts to the Quantum backing plates and have not had brake overheating on the tracks I run.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-18, 08:33 PM   #114
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
Wrx fog covers should do fine. I use them and have not had an issue. I actually plumb hoses from them to the Roo Ducts then no hose from the Roo ducts to the Quantum backing plates and have not had brake overheating on the tracks I run.
That's good to hear. I was thinking of doing the same thing except just running no dust shields at all. Did you notice much of a difference after installing the ducts?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-01-18, 02:06 AM   #115
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
That's good to hear. I was thinking of doing the same thing except just running no dust shields at all. Did you notice much of a difference after installing the ducts?
No backing plates(dust shields) for the record per what's his name Oh Randy, lol. Previous to the Roo/Quantum setup, I was running Racecomp only and it was fine, just kept rubbing through the duct between the Roo outlet and the Racecomp duct. And yes there is a difference. I posted in my journal that one year HDPE at Grattan chasing a second gen Camaro and late braking him in most corners having a duct fold up into the body of the car. Cooked the left front Brembo and boiled fluid to the point I had to take an hour off. Fine in the last session of the day there. So big fan of Roo setup.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-01-18, 08:48 AM   #116
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
No backing plates(dust shields) for the record per what's his name Oh Randy, lol. Previous to the Roo/Quantum setup, I was running Racecomp only and it was fine, just kept rubbing through the duct between the Roo outlet and the Racecomp duct. And yes there is a difference. I posted in my journal that one year HDPE at Grattan chasing a second gen Camaro and late braking him in most corners having a duct fold up into the body of the car. Cooked the left front Brembo and boiled fluid to the point I had to take an hour off. Fine in the last session of the day there. So big fan of Roo setup.
Haha yup, going off what Randy recommends. I was thinking WRX fog to Roo then nothing from the Roo too the rotor but taking the duct plate off.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-08-18, 12:41 PM   #117
brapp

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Brapp's 05 STi - "Roxy"

I love this car so much in the winter.

Actually I really just love it all the time.
Just got done with a 2100 mile roadtrip in the STi. A 8 hour drive, a 12 hour drive, a track day, a blizzard, and a couple hour roadtrip with my Grandma. Handled it all like a champ

Been getting a good bit of snow so far this year. Looking forward to finally getting out to some snow/ice racing events this year.

snowsuub
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement