st1doppelganger
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

st1doppelganger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 05 sti Build

I figured as my first post here I'd start with a build thread.

This is the current money pit list.

Short Block
Built with K1 rods and wiseco 100mm pistons built and balanced by maxwell performance.

Heads
Stock 2005 sti heads Pocket Ported and assembled with new cam buckets, GSC intake and exhaust valves, BC single spring steel retainers by Headgames Motorworks

Intake System
Injen cold air or Cobb short ram intake with a perrin turbo inlet, perrin FMIC.

Turbo
FP Green HTZ

Fuel System
Top feed TGV deleted housing, stock top feed rails, injector dynamics 1000 cc top feed injectors and KS Tech phenolic spacer, walbro fuel pump.

Ignition
XS ignition amp

Exhaust System
Borla header, stock up pipe, mad dad V2 catted down pipe with a perrin dual tube cat back going to a single outlet muffler.

Extras
Grimspeed light weight crank pulley.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-16, 02:28 PM   #2
st1doppelganger
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: 05 sti Build

Since I'm currently building motor I'm considering swapping the stock intake manifold for a 05-07 impreza na manifold due to the equal length runners and larger plenum.

Do you guys think the fp green is big enough to see some power gains out if this manifold? Yes I know I'd be giving some bottom end power up for mid and top end power band and I'm aware if what is involved in doing the manifold swap.

The equal length runners is what really has me leaning towards this set up.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-16, 05:54 PM   #3
mheyman
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default 05 sti Build

I wouldn't do anything that increases volume unless I were going over 500AWHP. Why is equal length going to benefit you. Unless you are over 30psi boost you just increase boost Wala more flow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.

Last edited by mheyman; 08-19-16 at 06:23 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-16, 07:31 PM   #4
st1doppelganger
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mheyman View Post
I wouldn't do anything that increases volume unless I were going over 500AWHP. Why is equal length going to benefit you. Unless you are over 30psi boost you just increase boost Wala more flow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In theory equal length should be better for tuning since air is more evenly dispersed. If it wasn't for the huge plenum I would already have purchased the manifold but that's why I'm inquiring for peoples feed back to see what they think since I have a smaller turbo (FP Green).

Your feed back is appreciated by the way.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-16-16, 11:29 AM   #5
st1doppelganger
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

So I bit the bullet last week and ordered my intake. I will be shaving all the excess mounting points and cleaning up the ports.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-16-16, 11:32 AM   #6
st1doppelganger
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

This is the real beauty of the intake manifold and you can tell subaru took some time with their R&D on the na manifold. I figured I'd post the pic of inside the plenum since I haven't seen any pics posted before and some might appreciate it.

This next pic isn't mine but is one of the main reasons I went with this manifold since it shows how evenly the intake manifold flows.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-11-16, 08:58 PM   #7
st1doppelganger
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Comparison of the sti manifold next to the na manifold.

This is the point I'm at after a few hours of grinding away. Ive removed the EGR and some mounting tabs but am still trying to figure out which mounting areas to keep.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-12-16, 05:01 AM   #8
mheyman
Premium Member

Fav Mod: Camber Camber Camber! Power! Wide ratio gearing! The rest is just support :)
My Subaru Parts for sale

mheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of lightmheyman is a glorious beacon of light

Assuming FMIC (couldn't fit that and a decent sized TMIV. Certainly not a Spearco) will you reverse it as you "should"? I say should because it is beneficial to reduce volume.

Subaru knew what they were doing.

In a turbo application volume is an enemy. It will slow maximum rate of change of boost. I bet you don't give up "low end, just how long it takes to come on. Admittedly if your FMIC then to some extent this volume change will be a smaller percentage.

Heat is an enemy. That manifold has more volume more surface area and more mass. Air will spend more time in it and warm more. Perhaps it wont matter at high speed for long periods of time as on a track.

I will say that it looks like you don't mind testing and are doing a nice job of it
An FP green isn't exactly small either
IMHO, to justify its' price, the S209 needs to perform at least as well as my moderately powered 05 built beater, and even that might not convince me to buy one cause my next STI isn't likely to be moderately powered.

I'm putting IAG back in here. Engine wise the car hase been trouble free for 56K. My STI is nearing the 60K minimum JJ led meto expect from a 2618 piston equipped block and it's still running strong.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-12-16, 11:06 AM   #9
farmboss
Advanced Mastery Level II

Fav Mod: Everything that is actually an improvement over the stock part.
My Subaru Parts for sale

farmboss is on a distinguished road

They might have put a small intake manifold on a turbo car for a reason. And a bigger one on an N/A for a reason. Maybe the turbo wants to see some restriction to give itself load and therefor build boost quicker and in general.

Might not change a thing, just thinking
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-12-16, 11:53 AM   #10
mheyman
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

They do:

Actually you select a turbo by flow and load. You choose the turbo or its parts so that it will operate where it is efficient with respect to them. Then load is the combination of flow boost.

Smaller volume fills and dumps faster, IE boost can be controlled faster/better. Under boost "tuning" the manifold becomes far less of a limiting factor than on a NA engine where there is less pressure differential and no way to control it. That said when taken to the limit it can become an important factor.

Last edited by mheyman; 11-18-16 at 05:12 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement