GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time - Page 5 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time

Old 09-05-16, 06:39 PM   #41
Krang
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 07 STi / EFR 6758
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Krang is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - Getting Closer...

Occams Razor strikes again, the clicking was simply my front dust shields rubbing against the slotted rotors slightly. Bent them out of the way and all fixed! Whenever I get around to doing the brake lines I think I'm going to cut them off, I'm really not a fan.

As far as the pedal sensor, seems were all good for now. However, I did experience an odd throttle blip while idling with my foot off the pedal, that would really be no fun if it happened in traffic. Still investigating this.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-16, 01:19 AM   #42
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got a few hours in this evening and got around to doing something I really wasn't looking forward to doing, but that needed to be done.

Titanium Exhaust wrap all the things, and reflective tape on the intake parts / AWIC. Really hope this will help my under-hood temps. Without any venting it gets VERY hot in there, and I've seen coolant temps reach 215-220F in traffic. Hood vents are on the docket but this is a step in the right direction.

While dissembling everything I discovered that the Crawford AOS is a POS. Big suprise there. Oil all over the place in my intake tract. While this does suck, it gives me an excuse to move up my time table on purchasing an IAG comp unit. In the interim I simply put the main breather for the AOS into an orange juice bottle so it can crap everything out in there instead of my turbo, and capped off the vacuum port on the intake:

While assembling everything back again I managed to put a GIANT F'KING DENT IN MY CAR! I blame my skiers legs, they owned my fender hard. The small reverse dent you see was my attempt to pop it back out. I don't think I have a future in auto body repair:

While not AS itchy as the normal fiberglass stuff, the titanium lava wrap still gets you. My hands are fairly rough and I still have a few places that itch between my fingers, but I got the job done. Glad I only need to do this once. Got everything put back together and took the car for a spin, the titanium wrap smells bad when it's "burning in" or whatever it does. I kept getting looks at stoplights because of the large amounts of smoke coming from my hood lol:

Very happy this is done with, and I believe it is actually the last power mod I need to do before my follow up tune at the end of September. Still debating on the cutout, I'm not sure I will have much to gain with it, but making noise is always fun.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-13-16, 01:29 AM   #43
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

That dent you put in that fender...I feel your pain.
With my old car, I parked it in the garage, grabed the package with the turbo out of the back of the car, put it on my left arm, with my right arm I closed the door, I turn to the left and somehow loose the package with the Turbo.
Package slams right onto the A Pillar and puts a huge dent in it.

I was so mad at myself...

Love your overflow bottle

With the Uppipe, I'd personally would get rid of the flex piece. I have trust issues with them.

The Air-Water-IC looks good and your engine bay, besides the overflow bottle, doesn't look like a hack job like some of those FMIC cars sometimes do.

If you can't get that dent out of the fender, get a new one, my buddy just ordered one from Subaru for 120 with primer on!

I would use the damaged fender to practice dremel-skills in Order to mod it to wheel arch venting
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-16, 02:14 AM   #44
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I did the same thing on my wagon when I had it, but not nearly as bad. It's right on the body line so I'm screwed, I can only hope that the flares will cover most of it up. If it doesn't, I might get a new fender, I might not, it's a race car and I really don't mind dings, I was just pissed I did it!

I would really like to organize the engine bay better, but it's probably not going to happen until this motor lets go and I have to pull it again. Things are just so much easier to work on out of the car, and for now it's functional. Subaru's just have so much shit going on under the hood its hard to get things neat and tidy, I think my main challenge would be the fuel lines and head breathers. Packaging the AWIC system is difficult too, but I think the way I did it works well.

Thankfully, the overflow bottle is a placeholder, and has actually done nothing yet! Not a single drop of oil in there. I'm thinking that its possible the turbo produces too much vacuum? I might just run a longer line under the car and ditch the bottle, but I'm going to do this weekends race with a bottle of some sort just in case I get spillage.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-16, 03:41 AM   #45
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Exciting day today. Seats came in, and one set of wheels came in. I'm going to hold off on pics of those until tomorrow or Saturday when they get installed.

Today though, I received a Works Bell steering wheel hub boss so I can finally get my new wheel on!

The wheel is a Nardi 330mm, what it looks like really isn't important I just wanted the small wheel for faster movements.

Part of this process is to modify the hub boss in order to retain my cruise control functions. This serves two purposes: Firstly, I apparently need it for DCCD to operate correctly. And secondly, it adjusts my FFS and LC settings when I need it to. It was also a fun little project so here's a little overview.

Trim boss cover to fit cruise control module:

Trim cruise control module to fit inside boss:

Trim hub core so that there are channels for the zip ties to secure onto:

Zip-tie mechanic, pro-level, the cruise control module:

Test Fit, and secure:

3ohm resistors in the airbag connectors:

Stick it all back together, and lookin good:

I have an alignment tomorrow, and maybe get some time to install the seats also. Then, Saturday setup the harness bar and harnesses and I should be good to go for Race #4 on Sunday. Woot!
Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 09-22-16, 03:48 AM   #46
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got the car aligned last week before the race, worked damn well too! Time to get used to the new setup.

Also, saw a RS parked outside =)

I have some video of the event I will eventually get around to posting once I combine a few clips.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-25-16, 11:12 PM   #47
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Preparing for the last step of the process, getting the flares on and proper sized wheels/tires. Had our local custom auto paint place mix up some cans of color-matched paint, and one can of clear.

I didn't have any 2000 grit handy so I used some surfboard polish, I think the color and finish turned out great, I guess we will see how it handles UV.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-16, 01:37 AM   #48
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - 10-1-16 New Dyno #'s

New tune optimized for the AWIC, we were about an hour into the session at this point and had some issues with the car getting too hot and pulling timing. I'm going to work on some ways to combat that, but overall I'm very happy with the small improvements. I was hoping for some more HP but I think that some cooling improvements and some octane will take care of that. Feels a lot smoother too for some reason, I think the AVCS is doing more work now. Probably going to try and secure a 55gal drum of e98 and mix a blend for the next go around, the 92 oct here really hampers what we can do for the most part.

Still, very safe tune so I can beat it to hell and it will stay in one piece.

300wtq @ 3k rpm!

Overlay of the baseline I had done with the frontmount (RED) and the AWIC (BLUE):

Here is a vf39 just about maxed out w/ Meth for comparison:

More info on the vf39 here: Adam's VF39 Meth tune...TORRRRQUEEE! - NASIOC
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-16, 03:43 AM   #49
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

Nice response and perfect power band for the use.

Is the relative Doo in high rpm due to heat soak?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-02-16, 03:49 AM   #50
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Yes, we were hitting ~215-220 degrees coolant temps around that part of the pull and would get intermittent detonation. Backed out a little timing after 6500rpm and it was happy. I figure if I can solve that heat issue we can push a tad more.

Thinking...
-Ducting
-Airflow out of hood (still running a RS hood, but shouldn't matter for the dyno for obvious reaons)
-Higher Efficiency radiator (running a Koyo, but I guess if I want to spend $texas I can go with a Ron Davis cross-flow for better results)
-Run more water in the coolant
-Secondary radiator somewhere with full-time fan
-Magic
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement