GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time
Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Sti Swapped 2.5i // SM Class Build EFR 6758 - FTD Time

Old 08-16-16, 02:05 PM   #21
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sti Swapped 2.5i in Paradise // SM Class Build EFR 6758

From the pictures, your scroll looks smaller. If that's the case, your spool should be better.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-16, 04:09 PM   #22
05 STI-STU
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 05 STI
Fav Mod: Tires/Seat time
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

05 STI-STU is an unknown quantity at this point

Awesome build man! how do you like the 14k/13k springs? I have been using 10/9 for a while and seems to work well, same Feal 441s but on an 05. I will be out in there around the end of September. After I find a place to live I can't wait to get back to some autocross. How is the STU competition out there?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-18-16, 04:33 PM   #23
LittleBlueGT
Donating Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 13 STI
Fav Mod: Numerous alignments
My Subaru Parts for sale

LittleBlueGT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
From the pictures, your scroll looks smaller. If that's the case, your spool should be better.

Image Link

Maybe the gearing you are comparing to is different?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-16, 04:41 PM   #24
Krang
Advanced Contributor Level 1

Car: 07 STi / EFR 6758
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Krang is on a distinguished road

I don't have the coils on quite yet, that's on the schedule for next week.

Before you come out, or when you get here, look me up. I'm a property manager and could probably get you in a nice place!

All my pulls have been done in 3rd gear.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-19-16, 11:00 PM   #25
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

8-19-2016
Fabricator got back to me with some fun stuff today!

A little side note, Wednesday while very casually mocking up my AWIC I noticed that it was about 3/4" too large, took out the sharpie and started marking things up and took that over to the fabricator as well.

I now have:

- AWIC which fits!
- Mounting plate for Res, Pump, and Battery in the spare tire location made out of 1/4" aluminum for rigidity. I'm going to attempt to only use one bolt in the center to hold all this down, and hoping the resulting pressure on the edges keeps everything tight.

Layout of the spare tire well currently:

I'm really close to the edge here:

Pump mounts directly to the base from underneath in this location:

Battery and hold down that was fabbed:

Designed this so I can still put a trunk liner down on top of it to retain the usage of my trunk! the level says I know how to read a tape which is great!:

I'm going to cut out a circle for the res cap, should look pretty cool hangin out in the middle of the trunk floor. The cap is nice, thick aluminum so I'm not worried about it getting damaged, and it will make access to the res easy:

This was about 12.5" wide when we started, the throttle body side was cut down slightly to gain the first 3/4" and then the pipe connection was shortened another 3/4" leaving just enough room to correctly clamp with a t-bolt clamp:

Some other measurements because it might be useful to someone, this thing fits with no problems now, it's actually a lot more narrow than a stock intercooler:

My challenge is going to be clocking the turbo correctly to clear the strut tower for minimal bends in the charge pipe, but I think I have a way.

This weekend I hope to get this system all buttoned up, so more updates to come.

Last edited by Krang; 08-19-16 at 11:05 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-22-16, 02:32 PM   #26
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Picked up the raw bottom plate and battery hold down yesterday, spent a few hours laying out everything and drilling. Also tapped the 1/4" base plate for the battery tie down screws, I did this so I didn't have to remove the whole plate to remove the battery. Using a M6 1.0 tap I figure 1/4" of thread should be enough with the force spread out over two bolts per side.

How everything sits in the spare tire compartment:

Better lighting here:

Battery hold down is super solid, the Shorai battery comes with some neoprene foam with a sticker back which I used to pad all the contact areas, provides a tight but soft fit:

Fittings and hardline to pump from res:

Going to be running bulkhead fittings through the side of the spare tire compartment and then run water lines under the car. I couldn't find a good path for the 3/4" ID lines to run inside the car, should make for a nice clean install too. Planning to run them down the drivers side frame rail.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-23-16, 03:07 AM   #27
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Today was a bust, constant rain. My kingdom for a garage!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-25-16, 02:22 AM   #28
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Spent the evening getting the AWIC all situated.

- Cut up some leftover FMIC piping to make a connector from the turbo to AWIC, dropped that off at the welder

- test fit the heat exchanger, actually fits really well with the bumper beam back in. I'm going to eventually make a frame to mount it to that will attach to the back of the bumper beam. However, because I'm pressed on time now, I will be trying to attach it directly to the bumper beam or with some very simple bracketry.

Test Fit:

Clearance:

Bumper clearance is good, need to trim a tad though:

Plumbing side clearance leaves something to be desired, I might have to take a small bit out of the bumper beam so the hose doesn't end up rubbing on anything:
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 08-25-16, 03:07 AM   #29
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

I like what you're doing! Thanks for sharing

Why aren't you keeping the small battery in the engine bay?
Less extra wire.

I was thinking about relocating my new 1.7kg Battery in the trunk but decided it's not worth the extra work of routing cables through the whole car just to have 1.7kg less on the front.
I'm saving ~16kg over the stock Battery anyway.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-26-16, 02:20 AM   #30
Krang

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
I like what you're doing! Thanks for sharing

Why aren't you keeping the small battery in the engine bay?
Less extra wire.

I was thinking about relocating my new 1.7kg Battery in the trunk but decided it's not worth the extra work of routing cables through the whole car just to have 1.7kg less on the front.
I'm saving ~16kg over the stock Battery anyway.
Thank you! I'm just having fun finally being able to dig into this, been thinking about the process for years! Also, hopefully can help others build what they dream of. I'm learning a ton too which is fun. I didn't document my last build years ago and regret it, it's all about the journey not the destination you know

Why am I relocating the battery.... Well, I figure if I'm going to do something I want to do it once. My mindset with the car is to achieve the goal of a competitive Street Modified Subaru, which itself is quite a challenge. I figure if I can spend a little more time or money to create a beneficial situation I'm going to do it. Even though the battery only weighs 6lbs, that's 6lbs I can use to help better distribute weight in the car. Besides, it was really easy. I've done the relocation a few times already and there was no guesswork for me. Even the slightly extra weight of the cables (4ga) help distribute weight better. If you won't be racing the car, I doubt it would make a noticeable difference.

The other reason I would prefer the battery in the trunk is because I have two high draw components back there, the water pump for the AWIC system and my fuel pump. Both are run on relays, and hard wired, but I would like to keep the runs as short as possible from the battery to those two components.

Besides, it fits and looks really slick in the spare tire well

Also, I'm actually running a 4ga ground all the way up to the front of the car. I know I can just use the body to ground the battery in the trunk which I will be doing as well, but I have had many issues with grounds on Subaru's, and it's easy, cheap insurance. I will also be running a simple grounding kit in the engine bay for this reason.

Last edited by Krang; 08-26-16 at 03:00 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement