Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - Hockenheimring Recap 2019 #838

182K views 838 replies 33 participants last post by  ScoobyGT 
#1 · (Edited)
Index:

--------------2015--------------
#3 3" Downpipe dent to clear steering linkage in tight lefthanders
#7 Studio Pictures
#11 2 Laps Video at the Hockenheimring
#13 Turn 2 and 3 at the Hockenheimring (Full Videos!)
#15 NUERBURGRING Pictures
#24 Hockenheimring Pictures
#28 Oil Cooler mounted
#31 Home made Shiftknob & Shiftknob Extension
#32 Blown Radiator
#40 Mishimoto Radiator installed
#47 Header progress
#55 UEL Header build - ready for welding!
#63 Rolling Shots!
#66 The UEL Header is ready!
#70 Drift Training footage & Car dropped off
#94 Golden TMIC & Oilcooler in
#99 Alignment done
#102 DSLR Pictures Crashbeam & Oilcooler
#150 Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - GT86 Hotlap
#152 Anneau du Rhin Monday 10/26/2015 - more videos & pics
#163 ADR 2 Multi GoPro Videos
#185 Brake Cooling
#195 Last Trackday for 2015 is in the books! - Video
--------------2016--------------
#229 2016 News
#239 New Seats in
#245 Lightweight LI-ION Battery & TPMS incoming
#255 New Resonator & polished Muffler
#264 Race Navigator & Video on a wet HHR
#302 AC Removal & Black Carpet
#318 TPMS fitted & Michelin Pilot Sport Cup mounted
#344 GT3 Video
#350 Switch Panel WIP
#358 Dry Ice Cleaning result
#359 Sound deadening removed
#365 Travel Log
#371 Travel Log
#384 My Buddies Hatchback WRX - Rolling Shots
#438 Corvette Z06 Brake Ducting
#441 Fire Extinguisher & Battery Holder
#451 German Time Attack Masters - Video inside!
#455 GTAM - Race Day Report Inside!
#529 Last 2016 HHR Event is in the books - Videos!
#547 Last 2016 HHR Event is in the books - Pictures!
--------------2017--------------
#558 Battery/Ignition cut off switch
#570 Sweden Video inside!
#577 Sweden Pictures inside!
#580 New Shoes
#588 Rear fenders modified
#593 new Alignment done
#595 Main Brake Ducting
#595 New HHR personal lap record!
#600 HHR Videos
#616 HHR Pictures
#617 The Racecar Steering Wheel Job
#618 ETS TMIC
#629 News & Vacation Pics
#636 AP Racing BBK
#642 Header Heat Shield armored
#647 Harness Bar wip
#651 Harness Bar wip -
progress

#672 AIM MXL in | DEFI GENOME STI out!
#674 Trackday Prep
#681 Trackday Report
--------------2018--------------
#704 CAD Drawings
#713 Friends on Track
#751 Bosch Hockenheim Historic Event Pictures
#758 Autosportlabs Podium Connect & Radium Dual Catch Cans
#771 Simracing fun!
#787 Rallye Fun Day Video w/ Overlay
--------------2019--------------
#802 AIM MXP Strada
#808 Singulär Hood Vents isntalled!
#818 Roof Vent, Quick Latch and Exhaust
#826 an offer I couldn't refuse
#838 Hockenheimring Recap 2019
----------------------------
Since I love following journals on here, especially the ones from Bruce, Idin and David, it's time to make my own not so build-crazy STI journal :cool:

My name is Ben, currently 26 and I'm doing IT Stuff for a small Agency some miles south of Stuttgart, Germany.
My affection with motorsports started most likely after I was born. My dad always watched the Formula One races. In the early nineties his Brother joined BMW Motorsport in the Super Touring Car Championship for some Team Management. Aparently I wasn't really old enough to remember the times we went to the Racetrack back then and cheer for BMW. The only thing I can remember that we went to an STW Race in August 1995 at the N�rburgring.
When the BMWs plans for the Formula One got more precise, they ask my uncle if he wants to join the Formula One Circus for BMW.
Aparently his wife and himself prefered not to travel around the world so he quit his Job at BMW to make a living in France and Italy with speculating on the Stock Exchange Market.
After watching the Documentary ADRENALIN on Blu Ray yesterday it made me quite thoughtful of what might have been if...:rolleyes:

Anyway, my Dad and his Brother were probably the two people affecting me with Motorsports. Before I had my driving license I always used to play the Simulations on PC like rFactor, GTR, Nascar Racing, CART, Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix and what else I got in my hands. I always raced agains my dads times and was usually faster than him. I remember him breaking the steering wheel one time because he just couldn't get close to my lap time on the Hockenheimring in Grand Prix 2 :lol: Good times!

So when I turned 18 I made my driving license and bought a cheap as Seat Ibizia 1.6 from 1996 to get some experience and from A to B. Two years later the German Government came up with that great idea that they give you 2500� cash if you get rid of your old car (scrapyard) if you buy a brand new car. So in the end I chose the 2009 Fiat Grande Punto T-Jet 1.4L which is quite a fun hot hatch. 1.4 Liter Turbo with quite some torque to have a lot of fun with torque steer. I can't remember how, but one day I found myself on an Airport Trackday slaying tires, killing brakepads and trying to get faster which was quite the fun in a crappy fiat :D

I was on one of the Trackdays where I made myself friends with a Subaru Crazy Couple from Switzerland. I don't know if Carlo ever owned something different than a Subaru, I think if you would ask him he would deny it badly :D
So after more Trackdays also on the Hockenheim, money spend on the car to make it faster and myself improving in driving I came to the point where the "Pizzabox" (that's what Carlo's wife always called it) wasn't pleasing me anymore.
That was 2013.
In 2012 I met my "brother" through my flatmate. My "brother" is from Portland, Oregon, a crazy BMW car nut and from the first day we met, we were like, well, brothers. :)
Same year I went to the US of A the first time in my life. A dream come true! I don't have to tell you guys how beautiful the PNW is.
One thing I kind of didn't expect was: It's Subaru Country!
So go figure where, in my small brain, the idea of owning a STI got incepted. :D
I got to drive Carlo's crazy GC8 STI swap one day. Instantly and 100% sold that my next car will be a Subaru STI.
So skip forward to October 2013 and I sold my Fiat. After reading a lot in the Forums to get familiar with "things & stuff", I found a good option.

2005 WRX STI Type UK imported by the owner, Alex, himself in 2011. NO RUST.
No I'm not lying. It's from the UK and THERE IS NO RUST! Yes, I couldn't believe it either. The only rusty thing is my brothers E30 the STI sometimes parks next to :lol:
Alex spent the Car KW V1 coilovers, OZ Superturismo Wheels, a HKS Super Hi Power TI limited exhaust, Alcantara wrapped Steering Wheel and some DEFI Genome STI Gauges.

This is how she looked after I picked her up:

Subaru Impreza WRX STI

The License Plate was a gift from my buddy from OR. It's pretty cool to have for shooting pictures :cool:

Now, have some more pictures you may have seen around here already:

And the most recent:

MY05 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

What I did to the car:
-Retrofitlab Retrofit Kit H4 with 4300k Xenon Bulbs
-JDM Titanium Strutbrace
-Sparco Pro 2000 Seats on Buddy Club Super Low Down bases
-Perrin Reverse Lockout Lever
-Perrin Wing Stiffies
-Perrin Pitch Stop Mount
-AD08R in 225/40/18
-Tarox F2000 Rotors front, Tarox Zero Rotors rear
-Pagid RS14 Pads all around
-Custom Brake cooling ducts/plates
-Fischer Steel Brake Lines all around

Fluids:
-Motul Power 300v
-Motul RBF 600
-Motul Gear 300 for the Gearbox
-Motul Gear 300 LS for the Rear Diff
-Motul Multi ATF for the Steering once the new Rack is in

Good thing my buddy I met through the Subaru Impreza GT Club knows how to map the Subarus safely. He helps me with tuning the car.
As I don't aim for big horsepower numbers I at least have someone who can adjust the cars mapping if something pops ups.

I have a Spec C Steering Rack at home I wanted to have in for Friday. But aparently the guy who told me he will help me putting it in on his lift told me the day before my appointment, that he has to cancel it. So no Quick Steering Rack installation yet.
Which is a shame as I have my first Trackday with the car on this Friday at the Hockenheimring.
Still excited though!

On Saturday we went to a good friend who is a total Subaru Car nut. We went there for some corner balancing.
Put the car on the scales and this is what the computer showed to us:

Turns out I did a pretty good job setting the suspension with the measuring tape :lol:
She still is a FAT B!TCH with 1450kg. 3/4 filled fuel tank.
I hope we can drop around 100kg through removing unnessecary weight like sound deadening, replace the battery for a lightweight one, Carbon Fiber drive shaft, myself getting rid of 10kg of body fat ?, Spec C Windows, replacing the front and rear crash guards with lighter ones, removing the U-Subframe, AC, and whatever we can find...
But without getting rid of the rear seats and carpet.
I mean, you gotta have reasons to spend money on the car, right? Right? :lol:

Good thing my Girlfriend supports me. I'm not sure which one of us is more excited for friday. :cool::tup:

Turns out this is the only interiour shot as of right now:

My buddy from Oregon is visiting, he'll get to drive the STI on Friday at the Track too :cool:

So, that's it so far from myself.
I hope you enjoyed reading my little story and I hope I can keep you guys satisfied with future updates.
Feel free to ask me any questions!

Cheers from Germany,
Ben :)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI

Thank you Goose :)

Today I removed the Downpipe to fix a problem that only the RHD Vehicles are affected of.
In tight left corners the Downpipe slams onto the Steering Linkage cause the Steering Wheel to vibrate and makes it tough to steer.
Annoying as sh!t & also kinda dangerous I guess.
But everyone says the RHD & LHD 3" Downpipes are the same.
Anyway:
Torch + Downpipe + Hammertime = hopefully solved issues.

less than 2 days till Trackday :cool:

#6 · (Edited)

nice car! Sad you painted those beautiful gold wheels tho :(
:D

I love the diversity of opinions I get from it. My winter rims are still gold if that helps you :lol:

Damn 3198 lbs. I need to re weigh my car ASAP!

Oh and a very nice car!
It's interesting that I kinda nailed the cornerweights with a mesuring tape. I thought we'd be way off. Bot left to front on the front axle is just 3kg. That's the amount of water you put in your washer tank.
And those 16.5kg difference in the rear, I bet I'd need another 10 years of driving experience in that car to feel the difference. I most likely would say you don't feel the difference at all.

Let me know how much your's is :cool:

edit:
For those who are not into the Euro Models:
It's an EJ207, Single Scroll Turbo, UEL Header.
No TGVs to remove as they have none :D

#5 ·

Damn 3198 lbs. I need to re weigh my car ASAP!

Oh and a very nice car!

#7 · (Edited)

Two for you:

Dirty Track Bitch

Flight Deck

I'm quite happy with the car. It was awesome fun yesterday at the Hockenheimring...until a 996 GT3 made friends with the wall. Last 10 minutes of the last Performance Turn were canceled and the last Rookie Turn also. Aparently my Buddy from Oregon who is visiting didn't get to drive the STI as we aimed for him to drive the last rookie turn.

Fastest Laptime was a 2:09.17 which I'm pretty happy with. Aimed for below 2:10s so achievement unlocked! :cool::D

Videos and Pictures from the HHR once I have them :)

#11 ·

Great shots Ben, looking forward to the video! When you visit the PNW, any chance you can bring the whip? :lol:
I wish that would be possible :cool:

Wow that car looks great.
Thank you very much :)

Here is the Video from 2 Laps from the first performance turn (0600pm to 0620pm).
Second lap on the entry to the motodrom I slowed down as I saw fluid on track.
I hope my buddy sends me all of the GoPro Footage so I can put a couple more laps together as those two laps weren't the quickest ones :)

#13 · (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - HHR Video on Page 2

Here are the Videos from Turn 2 and 3. Sorry for the bad sound quality. I wasn't using my helmet with the GoPro in those two turns as the helmet kinda annoyed me.
You don't need a helmet for driving on the track as long as your car doesn't have a rollcage. If you have a rollcage, you have to wear a helmet.

Turn2:

Turn3:

Turn 3 was aborted as that Silver 996 I followed and then overtook crashed into the wall, ending the Trackday for everyone else. Driver was unhurt.

#17 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Nürburgring Pictures Post #15

Short news:
Made an appointment for a timing belt swap. Last one was 2011 and I just want to make sure all the idlers and the belt tensioner are allright. I feel like I never can sleep safe if I'm not sure what parts are really on the car, how old they are and so on :lol:

Appointment is on the 18th of May.
I made the appointment at the dealership in person as I had a weird noise which was gone of course when I were at the dealer :mad::lol:
He asked me if I need a car for the day. They had a black 2015 STI in the Showroom.
I pointed at the 2015 STI and said: yup :D
The owner of the dealership, I got to know him at the 2015 STI presentation at the Hockenheimring last year, said: "Allright, we'll register the car until then for you!" :cool::tup:

Still haven't put in the Quick Steering Rack. Nobody with a lift has time.
Went to the DTM Race at the Hockenheimring last weekend, they also had an FIA World Rallycross event there and we were hanging out at the RX Paddock watching the Mechanics preparing the cars. And they have those long and high lifting Carjacks. I refuse to work on my car until I get one proper car jack :rofl:

edit:
If any of you guys want to add me on facebook, just shoot me a PM.

#18 ·

I don't blame you, that's a a crucial part. Sometimes I wonder about mine...

That's what always happens with noises. You explain to someone and then when they look, it's gone and you're crazy, haha!

Nice pics above, looking good. Kinda sad there's no German Grand Prix this year. Bernie is greedy.

#19 ·

Yeah I mean I could do the timing belt myself. But no matter how confident and informed I feel myself, if I fuck somehow up and blow up the engine in the process, it'll be a 3500+$ bill.
If the shop does the job, I'll pay ~700$ and if they screw it up and the engine blows, it's their fault and they have to pay.
And they don't really charge much for labor so I wouldn't safe enough to justify doing it myself.

The noise hasn't reappeared to date so I'm not really bothered again. Not kinda they way I like to handle things but since the car was running without issues...

I don't know how to feel about no F1 in Germany this year. It's never really a win situation for the City/County. I mean, for Restaurants, Hotels and everything it is, but not for the Racetrack itself.
I'll be at the Hockenheimring on Wednesday, taking pictures at the Afterwork Trackday there. They do the east course layout and I'm no fan of that at all. It's even more demanding on the brakes as the Hairpin comes every 2 miles. So braking vom 210km/h to 50km/h every two miles that is.
I hope that I can take part at the Trackday in June.

#20 · (Edited)

So, I'm happy with the car now.
Shop swapped in a new Timing Belt, Belt Tensioner, Crankshaft Seal & Idlers.
Told me the previous Timing Belt swap wasn't done correctly as one of the pieces that prevents the Timing Belt from jumping a tooth wasn't set up correctly and grinded off some material from the Timing Belt. :tdown:

But it's all right now :cool:

On another note, I'm not happy with their way they threat customers.
Instead of getting a 2015 STI I got a crappy XV with a damaged right side mirror.
They didn't even register the STI they had in the Showroom. That's what the actual deal with the boss of the shop was. I asked him about it and he couldn't remember.
If I had known I'd get a crappy XV I would have asked my GF to drive to the shop with her Audi together with me in the STI so we don't need a car from the shop/dealer.

Subaru Dealers are super rare in Germany & I just want to drive the 2015 STI even if it's just for some hours :(

edit:
Maybe I'm just too picky but I actually enjoy good service...
Wondering how that is in the USA/Canada?

#24 · (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Hockenheimring Pictures Post #24

Thank you Idin! :)

Here are a couple of pictures at the Afterwork Trackday Hockenheimring from the 24th of April:

That Porsche 996 GT3 was the perfect example for having too much money & not enough skill. In the last turn he hit the wall quite bad after he tried to drift every corner. You see it in one of the Videos if you watch closely.
I was around 4-5 seconds faster per lap after I'd passed him in that turn on the picture. Super weird driving style. There's a difference between driving slow and learning and driving slow because you're always over your limit.

Hope you enjoy! Shout out to my buddy who took the pictures :)
(He is a pro photographer & the offical School of Racing photographer too.)

So, currently there aren't any real updates on the car.
I'm kind of stuck, money wise & "wrenching" wise. Still haven't had a chance to swap the steering rack. And as I'm super short on the €uros these days I try to get a proper car jack, which aren't exactly cheap but at least those investments last longer than the car itself...usually :lol:
Will also start on the improved brake vents soon & trying to figure out a proper oil cooler setup. Most likely will go with Setrab and that one Sandwich plate with thermostat which a German shop offers.

I also have a Baffle Plate and a 3" silicon inlet pipe laying around which wait to be installed.
But then again I don't have a garage on my own (it's shared with the other people from the house (12 families). So I don't want to take the car apart & have shit laying around overnight.
And since I lack of friends with mad wrenching skills living close by, it's always kind of a pain to tackle the bigger things.
I also want to get the gearbox out to fix my GOD DAMN SHIFTER WOOBLE. :mad:

Life is tough :lol:

#27 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Hockenheimring Pictures Post #24

Hmm, I ordered 7 Liters of Motul 300v Competition Oil yesterday as well as two HKS Oil Filters.
Got the Oil Cooler Kit at home and parts for the brake venting laying in the car for 3 weeks now.

I'm lacking motivation to do anything after work :(

Buddy who has a lift offered me his space to wrench on the car. It's ~30miles away from my place, but that's better than nothing. He'll be on vacation until the 12th of July. So I'll wait until then and hope my other buddy get's the UEL Header done so I can swap out everything I wanted at once (Oil Baffle, Header, Oil Cooler Kit install, Steering Rack, Shifter Bushings and wobble fix, 3" Inlet Pipe...)
I think I'll also drop the Gearbox in the process to fix the shifter and see how the clutch is.
Alex is running a Exedy Stage 1 HD Clutch if I remember correctly and that thing bites really well. Mine on the other hand feels kinda mushy. It still bites but it doesn't bite racecar-ish.

There'll be a Subaru only Trackday in October at Anneau du Rhin organized by the Subaru Impreza GT Club (Germany, Austria & Switzerland). As of right now there should be around ~60-70 Turbo Subarus & BRZs participating. Really looking forward to that!

Also, when I was taking pictures at the last trackday, I met a guy who has a small buisness selling brakepads and stuff. He's got a really good price on the Endless MX72/MXRS Pads and we had a chat about things & stuff. Offered him to take some product shots in our studio for his website and in return I'll get a set of Endless MX72/RS Pads for my car. Can't wait for that! :D

#28 ·
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Oilcooler installed!

Brother and I installed the Oilcooler yesterday.

Photostory:

The basic idea already cut out:

Brother: "One nut per side should be alright!"
Me: "We don't take shortcuts, make it two per side!"

After some major cutting, grinding and welding:

The inside, plenty of room for activities...or oil lines!

Put some paint on the welds & cuts so it's protected & mounted on the car:

All done & dirty after 100 miles of spirited driving today:

Oilcooler

Will install the sandwichplate with a 90°C Thermostat & connected the oil lines in ~ 2 weeks when I do the oil change. :)

#30 · (Edited)
Re: Ben's MY05 WRB Type UK STI - Oil cooler mounted #28

We most likely will build our own :)
Will be more fun and we can also integrate the oilcooler in the front beam right away.

My Brother will get a lathe from his coworker. First thing we'll build on that thing will be a shift knob extension :cool::tup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.