GD: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - an Offer I couldn't refuse #826 - Page 21 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - an Offer I couldn't refuse #826
Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - an Offer I couldn't refuse #826
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Ben's EJ207 MY05 WRB STI - an Offer I couldn't refuse #826

Old 12-10-15, 11:19 AM   #201
Gigs
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: S204 Engine
My Subaru Parts for sale

Gigs has a spectacular aura aboutGigs has a spectacular aura aboutGigs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - Last Trackday for 2015 is in the books! - Videos #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
So does a clutch type LSD make the car more tailhappy or how exactly does it change the feeling of the car?

I'm quite a noob in Terms of Diffs
You can tune them to be more aggressive , I am not sure if they are more aggressive than what we have now.

I know with the DCCD system my old 2005 Sti could get sideways fast.

Subaru sells shim kits and rebuild kits for their plated LSD's. I also have been looking at a Cusco RS LSD due to how weak the yen is at the moment. Its sitting in the $660-$700 range right now. So around 600-640 euro for you guys + shipping.

This is where I have ordered in the past
RHD: Home Page - RHDJapan
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-15, 11:30 AM   #202
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ben's MY05 WRB STI - Last Trackday for 2015 is in the books! - Videos #195

I had the R180 V7 rear LSD and the car felt more FWD compared to now.

Ben,
There are a few excellent articles in Nabisco and some good info between fights and insults over there haha.

This will also help
http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/pdf/p27_p29.pdf
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-15, 11:31 AM   #203
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

I figured I had the tire pressure on the rear not right making the car quite tight. On the Hockenheimring my SO did manage the Pressures and she put a little less in on the rear than usual making the car more tailhappy on corner entry. It was quite perfect. I might look into doing some adjustment to the alignment on the rear to make it that little notch more loose.

On a dry track I prefer the DCCD to be set on manual and fully open.
On a wet track the only thing I find the car predictable is the DCCD on Auto.
I tried it on manual but spun out like a noob accelerating out of the Hairpin

Good hint though with the low yen. I should look and see what they have.
I think of the STI pillowball Trailing Arms and Suspension Parts from the Spec Cs...

A Friend of mine is a master in Diffs, he has his own company doing diffs for track cars. I should ask him and see what he says about it.

Great info though none the less, thanks Gigs

edit:

Thanks Idin!
I'll head over there and see what I can find.
FWD like power understeer like?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-15, 01:09 PM   #204
Gigs
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Gigs has a spectacular aura aboutGigs has a spectacular aura aboutGigs has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAG View Post
I had the R180 V7 rear LSD and the car felt more FWD compared to now.

Ben,
There are a few excellent articles in Nabisco and some good info between fights and insults over there haha.

This will also help
http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/pdf/p27_p29.pdf
That Cusco pdf has me aroused

Quote:
I figured I had the tire pressure on the rear not right making the car quite tight. On the Hockenheimring my SO did manage the Pressures and she put a little less in on the rear than usual making the car more tailhappy on corner entry. It was quite perfect. I might look into doing some adjustment to the alignment on the rear to make it that little notch more loose.

On a dry track I prefer the DCCD to be set on manual and fully open.
On a wet track the only thing I find the car predictable is the DCCD on Auto.
I tried it on manual but spun out like a noob accelerating out of the Hairpin

Good hint though with the low yen. I should look and see what they have.
I think of the STI pillowball Trailing Arms and Suspension Parts from the Spec Cs...

A Friend of mine is a master in Diffs, he has his own company doing diffs for track cars. I should ask him and see what he says about it.

Great info though none the less, thanks Gigs

edit:

Thanks Idin!
I'll head over there and see what I can find.
FWD like power understeer like?
I am going to source a set of RA-R sways as well.

I would definitely ask your friend as he might even know some people with spare diffs laying around and has the experience to install them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-15, 02:05 PM   #205
TBAG

My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

Ben's friend can explain the technical aspects but subjectively, a lot more feel and control in the back. You can feel the rear axle actually getting involved.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-15, 02:50 PM   #206
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

So pratical example: the Sachs corner, late turn in corner, late apex corner.
With the DCCD on Auto I feel like when I accelerate out of it, the car tends to understeer with the OEM Diff.
I can get rid of a bit of mid corner understeer setting the DCCD on Manual making the car a tad more tailhappy. But it really is only a tad.

With a diff like we are talking about here all the time, the car should have a tendency to power oversteer making it more controllable/predictable in the same process?

Sachs Corner: 1:37 to 1:44
https://www.youtube.com/v/4AJyvmxgBOg
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-15, 03:04 PM   #207
TBAG

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:

With a diff like we are talking about here all the time, the car should have a tendency to power oversteer making it more controllable/predictable in the same process?

Sachs Corner: 1:37 to 1:44
movie
Spot on.

Its weird but you can directly feel the rear axle.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-15, 03:12 PM   #208
Gigs
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

If your prices are like parts prices over here I have calculated it this way

Cusco RS $700
Sell old Suretrac lsd for $300-$400

Cusco RS for $300 + little costs
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-15, 03:14 PM   #209
TBAG

My Subaru Parts for sale

^ That is cheap for such a big upgrade imo.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-10-15, 03:36 PM   #210
Gigs
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAG View Post
^ That is cheap for such a big upgrade imo.
That is why I am considering it over a 2015 STi steering rack as I told myself I would be more financially responsible with this winters upgrades.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement