GD: 2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress
2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: 2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress

Old 01-16-15, 01:45 PM   #31
TimM
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 WRX STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TimM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress

I've got an autocross tomorrow...runway site-read just a big slalom, unfortunately.

Only change since last event was adding lightweight bumper beams from Oswald.

Expensive, but appear to be quality and few things don't cut weight that result in quite a few compromises. I suppose if I avoid an accident...no compromises with these aluminum jobs.

I've never pulled the bumper covers off this car...so took my time. I also bought all new plastic clips for all connections-there are many! I will say it had the positive effect of tightening up the body panels...each old clip had some play...not the new ones.

This brings the car to 3090 pounds with no fuel, spare tire, or people. Pretty impressive.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-15, 02:16 PM   #32
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Autocross was a success...I drove home! 15th of 97 cars and third in class. Another Subie got me by .9 of a second on a 50 second course...have to work a bit harder.

New Z06 (650 HP) and Z28 (505 HP) showed along with a real Skyline GTR (RWD only) although none were a threat as they were not experienced drivers. The Corvette reved amazingly quick-OEM.

Didn't notice the lightweight bumper reinforcements...didn't expect to either-no worries 40 pounds is 40 pounds.

Grid:

First turn (1st Gear):

Finish-hard in third gear with a drift (Car still has lots of lean...):

Great fun in 55 degree weather-first run was a thrill with chilled concrete and Rivals...several 4 wheel drifts-yeehaw.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-20-15, 03:43 PM   #33
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post

Didn't notice the lightweight bumper reinforcements...didn't expect to either-no worries 40 pounds is 40 pounds.
Are you sure... I mean, you spent so much money on them.

I've seen people say how much they could feel the difference when adding these and what the car now did differently/better, but I felt NOTHING. I was under the same consensus, take off some weight (thought it was closer to 50lbs). I never actually expected to feel a difference, which I did not.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-15, 05:49 PM   #34
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

What class are you racing in? I just moved from Florida this year, what groups are you racing with?

The build looks fun, curious on the cossie flow figures.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-20-15, 06:54 PM   #35
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO: I also pull the spare for an event even though it is weight from the wrong end of the car...I need all the help I can get with my driving... Less weight only helps, I figure. I still think it was a worthy purchase.

T3h_Clap: I'm not building the car for any particular class-just for fun. I've stuck with a group call FAST-not SCCA affiliated just because many co-workers are part of the group. Their classing puts me in a full modified class without race tires. I would have to research and figure out how that translates to SCCA. I may try the Martin Sports Car Club in the future although their site is 2 hours away...

So where in Iowa did you relocate?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-20-15, 07:09 PM   #36
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road

I need some Florida autocross/racing groups information too! I'm moving to Daytona in August!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-21-15, 06:03 AM   #37
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Here is a video of three of the runs with different angles. Yawn for most, but I found it interesting with the tire deflection and suspension compression.

Need to close up the spacing to the cones in almost every case other than the 'fishbone' section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skH4...ature=youtu.be
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-21-15, 06:15 AM   #38
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
yamahaSHO: I also pull the spare for an event even though it is weight from the wrong end of the car...I need all the help I can get with my driving... Less weight only helps, I figure. I still think it was a worthy purchase.

T3h_Clap: I'm not building the car for any particular class-just for fun. I've stuck with a group call FAST-not SCCA affiliated just because many co-workers are part of the group. Their classing puts me in a full modified class without race tires. I would have to research and figure out how that translates to SCCA. I may try the Martin Sports Car Club in the future although their site is 2 hours away...

So where in Iowa did you relocate?
I can help with the transition, it's not going to be "ideal". Although Martin is a bit looser with their rules, more of gentleman's agreement where you may have 1 or 2 mods that are illegal but they don't help much.

Martin and SCCA both do events down in Sebring, where abouts in FL are you? If you want to bounce over to PM feel free.

I ran with Martin and Central Florida SCCA when I lived in Orlando. Ran with equip Rapid and PCA while I was in Ft. Lauderdale and we liked to hit up the Ft. Myers Gulf Coast autoxers events on occasion.

Currently living in the Iowa City area. Trying to get more involved with the local autox groups and hit up some track days this summer.

Yazel, shoot me a pm I can help ya.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 01-22-15, 10:56 PM   #39
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Picked up the ported head from the flow guy. Still have a bit of translation / clarification on the resulting numbers, but here is what I have:

Lift Intake Flow Exhaust Flow

Superflow Bench @ 28 inches.

Cylinder number 2 using clay to ease the transition-no tubes were used.

End result is this isn't much use until I put the OEM original head on the same bench in a couple of months. I will say the flow guy was impressed although he is used to domestic engines.

I will be using the original OEM cams (hopefully they don't wear out after 170K of use!) so valve max valve lift is .378 / .385 according to NASIOC posting.

I also picked up my wrinkle red powder coated valve covers...to match the OEM intake manifold. Bummer it will be hardly noticeable once installed-calls out the unique heads a bit at least. Images to follow.

Edit: Updated numbers after getting the final copy from the head flower guy...bad news the intake numbers decreased, but good news the exhaust was higher than originally reported-better scenario with a turbo car!

Last edited by TimM; 02-06-15 at 08:51 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-22-15, 11:08 PM   #40
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap: I know Iowa City well. Wish I had pursued autocross back in the day-would have lessened my thirst for street hell rides... I'm located in Tampa area.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement