GD: 2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress
2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: 2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress

Old 01-11-15, 06:03 AM   #21
lidrew
Advanced Mastery Level III
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 2011 DGM Sedan
Fav Mod: Brake Dust
My Subaru Parts for sale

lidrew will become famous soon enoughlidrew will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2004 WRX STI Family Car Progress

Amazing history on a car that has really been used the way it should. I bought a 350z back in 04 instead of an STi and ended up trading it for an 07 STi and now an 11. Your planned build is exactly what I'm considering.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-15, 08:44 AM   #22
TimM
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 WRX STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TimM will become famous soon enough

lidrew: Glad you enjoy. I catch myself reviewing it as well-quite a few experiences a car offers. I've been very fortunate to have it just at the right time for career/family it seems. Additionally, I had more than a couple folks tell me the car wouldn't be reliable back in 2003-glad Subaru proved them wrong or it would have been a short relationship.

Coworker had a 350Z Track Pack (2004?) as well. We did Snetterton track event together in the UK...similar brakes, but vastly different powerplants/chassis. Great fun to sample his car (passenger) and then jump into mine. Loved its exhaust note and seating arrangement (felt like a race car as low slung sports cars do).

I hope my engine update pans out-lots of folks with assembly/tune issues with these engines and I'm not exactly an experienced builder. :-)
Stage III: 327 WHP / 12.73 @ 106 MPH
Stage IV: 412 WHP / 367 WTQ / 12.28 @ 112 MPH
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-13-15, 07:06 AM   #23
QuailEyes
Joined the Conversation

Car: 04 STI ej207 wagon
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

QuailEyes is an unknown quantity at this point

What is hiding under the car cover with the little mag-lite wheels?

Have been enjoying reading your car history, really fun seeing your car brand new too! I also love seeing these cars as practical family cars that allow for fun time. I didn't gather, did your engine fail, or are you just upgrading as a project?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-15, 04:43 PM   #24
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

The original Smart car...1972 Mini 1000 (38 HP / 45 MPG!). Benefit of being in UK for 3 years.

No I'm not a giant! Checking the oil prior to its 'first' trip on the British Motorway (highway)...seriously. Car had 12,282 miles on it and never left the suburb in London.

Original engine is going strong and do hate to pull it, but more power is required and instead of failing the mill at the track and being down extended period (daily drive it 250 miles a week), I've got the opportunity to freshen it up on my schedule.

I'm impressed with Subaru reliability, but nearing 170,000 miles...I expect something has got to give as I hope to add another 100 HP.

Last edited by TimM; 01-13-15 at 04:53 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-13-15, 05:09 PM   #25
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
I resided in La Vista off of 96th Street.

Your suggestion on the rods makes sense...I would like a few more RPMs out of the engine.

I will say the cylinder heads are fairly substantial in weight and size compared to the shortblock.
I think I recognize the area... Off 370?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-14-15, 04:52 AM   #26
QuailEyes
Joined the Conversation

Car: 04 STI ej207 wagon
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

QuailEyes is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ I knew it was a Mini! Short hood, fender mirrors, maglites.

I have an '70 MGB GT that I love, so it's nice seeing other subie owners with the British bug too.

Yeah my motor just blew in my 04. I guess the previous owner didn't replace the pulleys when he did the timing belt (cheapo!), and a bearing exploded in my timing assembly. So I'm doing an engine swap now at 165k, but just going with a stock ej207. It is the twinscroll version tho, so it should be pretty nice.
Look forward to your progress...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-15, 09:18 PM   #27
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

QuailEyes: I should clarify on the condition of the original engine. It does have an issue-overheats/pushes coolant on a road course. I don't do track events much now, but last two trips to Sebring the car filled the overflow tank and began to run hot (within last 18 months). That ended my day earlier than liked. Between the events, I confirmed I had a good fill/bleed of coolant and new OEM caps. I then had it tested a week after the event for combustion gases in the coolant-no telltale.

Outside of track events-absolutely no issues with the cooling.

It also leaks oil...oil pump / oil pan area and possibly the cam seals.

I can't eliminate track events from the fun, oil leaks are unpleasant, and possibility the car may go overseas again...time to assemble a new powerplant.

Mini: I enjoy the engineering of it...engine/trans share the same lube oil, rubber biscuits for suspension springs, and 10 inch wheels with 7.5 inch brake rotors. Impressive packaging. Besides UK, these cars are dime a dozen like a Cobalt/Cavalier here. It is a clown car. I began driving in a $600 1971 MG Midget with chrome wire wheels. Forced me to work on cars...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-15, 10:49 PM   #28
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dropped one of the Cosworth heads off to be flowed...may prove to be more difficult. They are used to domestic 2 valve layouts... They want a cam to actuate both valves simultaneously...hadn't planned on that.

I would like some third party flow numbers to justify the cost.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-16-15, 06:35 AM   #29
sti2relaxxin
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Car: '07 STi sold
Fav Mod: Prodrive Mudflaps
My Subaru Parts for sale

sti2relaxxin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM View Post
QuailEyes: I should clarify on the condition of the original engine. It does have an issue-overheats/pushes coolant on a road course. I don't do track events much now, but last two trips to Sebring the car filled the overflow tank and began to run hot (within last 18 months). That ended my day earlier than liked. Between the events, I confirmed I had a good fill/bleed of coolant and new OEM caps. I then had it tested a week after the event for combustion gases in the coolant-no telltale.

Outside of track events-absolutely no issues with the cooling.
TimM- If you are only experiencing coolant going into the overflow tank at track events there is a good chance you'll need new head gaskets. I just had them replaced on my car due to the coolant system purging the coolant into the overflow tank only under boost. If I drove around without any boost the system would perform perfectly. The issue is that the increased pressure under boost lifts the heads and introduces air to the system, thus creating air bubbles in the coolant and making your system overflow into that tank.

Old 01-16-15, 12:29 PM   #30
TimM

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

sti2relaxxin: I hear you and agree after reviewing the forums. It has just shy of 1000 track miles and only started doing this within the last 160. I may have done it myself considering how critical the tune is-Cobb OTS Stage II Tune with their approved parts except the K+N Typhoon air intake. I've now added the Perrin 2.4 inch turbo inlet too. Who knows...

A gasket rebuild would likely make the engine solid again, but what is the fun in that?!

I do want to update it, add ~100 HP, and be able to rack up another 50K+ miles to it before additional work.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by TimM; 01-16-15 at 12:35 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement