GD: Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers! - Page 4 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!
Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!

Old 06-24-15, 06:57 PM   #31
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (2006 STI)

The clutch system is so small I didn't fill the Power Bleeder which made clean up very easy. There was none. However it's easy just the same to clean it. If I remember right you just dump out the left over brake fluid then run denatured alcohol through the lines. After that just set it out to dry. Takes about two minutes.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-15, 02:22 PM   #32
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (2006 STI)

RE71R's came in today. Hooray!!!

]

I can't wait to get these mounted up!

...maybe it's just me, but the smell of new race rubber has the same effect on me as pure adrenaline or you know 15 cups of coffee back to back!

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:44 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-23-15, 05:53 PM   #33
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (or as near as I can get it)

Autocross update:

Well I mounted up the tires last week and tried them for the first time Sunday. They are awesome! The RS3's are good, but these are even better. Very sticky! I managed my best PAX score ever at a summer event. I'm very happy with the result.

I noticed a few things though. They hop when pushed too hard. At the advice of some fellow autocrossers I'm going to try and soften rebound a bit to see if that helps. I also noticed they want more camber then the Rivals or RS3's. I had the car realigned today and set static rear camber to -2.0 and re-zeroed toe. I'll push the front camber up a bit too in an effort to keep the balance the same. Hopefully I'm going in the right direction. I want to get all I can from them.

Last edited by SubySal; 07-23-15 at 06:18 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-15, 06:17 PM   #34
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (or as near as I can get it)

Disclaimer: If you don't even have mild OCD skip this post.

OK so I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I have an affinity for cool hardware... read on.

Company 23 makes all kinds of stuff for Subaru's. From special service tools to innovative little things like studs that replace the bolts that hold on the by-pass valve. This isn't a performance upgrade, but it does make life easier. Anyone that has ever attempted to insert a steel bolt into aluminum threads knows what I mean. Especially when you have the resistance if a large rubber hose pushing against you.

So then Company 23 makes a little stud kit. It comes with two nicely made stainless steel studs and two run of the mill flange nuts. The flange nuts are where my problem starts.

Notice in the pic the locking serrations on the flange. I'm pretty sure that's going to destroy the aluminum housing that makes up the bypass valve when you have to remove it.

So then I found some smooth flange nuts at Ace that seemed to work OK.

Only one problem. Corrosion ...and I hate corrosion! I had to remove the intercooler to bleed the clutch system. One nut came off fine the other took the stud with it. This is what I found.

Well that just won't do so I started looking around for a replacement (preferably stainless) and came across these. Some 12 pt polished stainless nuts from ARP (PN 400-8310) and they worked great! I know it's a small detail, but I think they look cooler too.

Anyway nothing earth shattering, but I just thought I'd share.

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:52 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-23-15, 06:43 PM   #35
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Something, something.......overkill. <snicker>

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-23-15, 06:51 PM   #36
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Well overkill is underrated.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-23-15, 06:54 PM   #37
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
Well overkill is underrated.
Honestly if money were no object, I'd have ARP bolts and nuts everywhere on my car.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 07-30-15, 09:27 AM   #38
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Well I thought I do another update on the tires from Event #7...

As sticky as these tires are I'm glad the car is still staying relatively flat. If we go up to 255's next year I may have to increase the spring rates, but we'll see.

(pics from Event #6)

Anyway tires worked better than event #6. The increased camber really helped a lot. It kept temps down on the tires and they didn't skip. I ended up turning the dampers back up to where they were before though. Softening them made the car too numb for me and the added camber prevented skipping regardless.

I did manage first in class. It's kind of a hollow victory though since our fastest guys weren't running. The important thing was PAX. Up until Event 6 my highest PAX was I think 939. That's pretty respectable for this region as we have many National Champion drivers in fully prepped cars here. Anyway Event 6 brought my PAX up to 957 a considerable improvement. Event 7 my score climbed to 959. This doesn't tell the whole story though. The driver that set PAX at Event 7 is very fast. He Won EP at Nationals in 2013 by 3.6 seconds. At event 7 he set a 17 point gap between first and second place with the driver that got the FTD at Event 6 taking second place. This means all things being equal I would've PAXed out at 976. This would've been my highest PAX index ever. My point being that the alignment made that much of a difference.

Tire wear...

PPIR is hard on tires. Still though these are really getting torn up. At this point they only have 9 runs on them. I'm not sure how long they will last and I may need to swap them soon to even out tire wear. Supposedly they get better wear after the first heat cycle, but with a heavy powerful car like the STI I'm not sure. They also pick up a lot of OPR. More than any other street tire I've used.

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:58 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-16-15, 01:33 PM   #39
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Well I finished the Summer season on the 10th. It was a fun course that favored power. The 700hp 2006 STI quasi group B rally car took the FTD. It was pretty cool to watch.

This one...

I was the only one in STU this event, but I did pretty well on points. 20th out of 143. I didn't get in a full season, so no end of year trophy. Anyway the car is wonderful with the RE71R's. I'm really enjoying them and can't wait for the next time-shattering tire to come down the pike. I feel I have plateaued as a driver though. I'm going to look into some schools to find some speed the old fashioned way... tightening the nut behind the wheel. On the flip side ST seems to be opening up a bit to new mods. The SEB has put forward some interesting new ideas that include wider tires for AWD STU cars. Possibly 255's or 265's. We may also be able to finally switch to aftermarket steering wheels (I've been waiting for this one) and lastly they may allow aftermarket radiators too. Fingers-crossed on the steering wheel allowance.

In the mean time with the season behind me I figured it was time to get the rest of my sled maintenance done. I thought it would be minor stuff.... not so much...

I had already rebuilt the back end replacing all the bearings, hyfax, and a few bogey wheels. I also greased all the pivots. Now it's super smooth. The front needed some work too. I guess in 10 years no one has ever lubed the a-arms. The bushings were shot so I ordered new ones. The sled should work a lot better once I'm done. This kind of stuff is a first for me as I've only had cars and trucks. It's a nice break from the norm though and it's fun learning something new.

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 12:05 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-05-16, 11:47 AM   #40
Reverend
Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Reverend is on a distinguished road

After reading your responses on the 2017 engine speculation thread, I had to see your Subie. MAN is this thing awesome! You've got an awesome build and I love the details that have gone into this so far.

Subscribed for sure!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement