GD: Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers! - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!
Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!

Old 12-07-14, 07:12 AM   #21
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all
Default Re: SubySal's '06 STI STU build...

How would the 2015 rack help improve steering response and feel? 15:1 ratio down to a 13:1 ratio steering gear.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-14, 10:03 AM   #22
jesup16
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: SWP 2013 STI 5 door
Fav Mod: Stickers
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jesup16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great build. I wish I could build my GR to this degree for class. I also have AST's and love them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-07-14, 10:10 AM   #23
LuvMyBlueSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: WRBlue 10 STi
Fav Mod: Ankle Twitch Enhancer
My Subaru Parts for sale

LuvMyBlueSTI is on a distinguished road

Your photodocumentation is excellent.

The "Some assembly required" shot is classic.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-14, 12:07 PM   #24
gregroot198521
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 12 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

gregroot198521 is on a distinguished road

Amazing build.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-08-14, 04:24 PM   #25
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Thank you all. I know that there's a lot of nice well-documented GD builds out there so I tried to focus my journal on things you don't usually see as well as any snags along the way. This way anyone else attempting a build like this would have a better idea of what to expect.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-11-15, 07:57 PM   #26
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (2006)

Well since I built my STI all at once and it seems to be happy as a clam right now I thought I'd expand my build thread.

I tried snowmobiling for the first time last year and had a blast! When this one came up for sale I figured why not. It came from a friend of a friend. It's a 2004 EFI Mountain Cat with a 159" track. I went through it, fixed a few broken parts, lubed it, and cleaned it up. We went up last Thursday for a shakedown run. It was awesome! We had the whole mountain to ourselves and it was a beautiful Colorado day!

Update 12/9/15: Just did some more work to the sled. Though I completely redid the rear suspension and track system in the spring the front still needed to be addressed. It looked like it had never been lubed so I had to replace all the bushings along with a bent upper A arm. I also noticed whoever repaired or serviced it before put the steering back together incorrectly and left out a part or two. It's now 100% gone through and I even spruced it up a bit with some anodizing and chromex coating!

Before.... (after several cleanings)

After (because things work better when they're shiny!)

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:21 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-27-15, 01:45 PM   #27
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (2006)

New battery hold down....

Group 25 Optima's are smaller then conventional group 25 batteries so I was having some problems finding a hold down that fit it properly. I settled on a plastic adjustable type, but it was not sturdy enough. It flexed so the battery would shift while autocrossing. After failing to find a commercial holder that might work better I designed my own exact fit battery hold down and had a friend fabricate it. I know it's just a hold down, but it's the first actual part I've designed from scratch. It works great and holds the battery like a vise!

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 02:13 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 06-15-15, 08:43 PM   #28
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (2006 STI)

Some pics from the National Tour this weekend. This is the first tour I've entered. I didn't place great, but I did have a lot of fun. I learned the RE71R is amazingly fast in STU compared to my Hankooks so I just ordered a set. Some of the drivers say they feel like R-comps.

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:37 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-24-15, 05:45 PM   #29
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Bleeding the clutch my way...

Well Sunday night something odd happened. I went to take the STI out for a spin and I couldn't get it into gear with the engine running. I checked for leaks, but everything was dry. When I originally bled the clutch system I used the old pump-it-out method. It seems that I didn't get all the air out. The clutch always seemed to catch right off the floor, but worked fine. I figure two days of autocrossing in hot weather may have shifted the apparent trapped air in the system. I decided trying to bleed it the usual way was a waste of time so I came up with a more innovative method.

I have a Motive power bleeder. I love it! I used it on my brake system and it worked awesome! Instead of trying in futility to "pump" out the air with the brake pedal the Motive bleeder pushes all the air out of the system at one time. The benefit here is air can get permanently trapped in a hydraulic system using the old way. If you have a vertical rise in you lines and your trying to push the air down and out you could have issues. While you're building pressure between opening the bleeder screw trapped air will creep up. So basically you get a yo-yo effect with the trapped air and it may never bleed out. The Power bleeder uses constant pressure. It will keep pushing fluid as long as there is pressure in the bottle. It did a great job on the brake system giving me a pedal like an anvil without so much as starting the car or ever pressing the brake pedal. Needless to say I was sold on that little gadget.

Enter the clutch... I wondered why Motive didn't make an adapter for my clutch. It has a loop in the hard line for Pete's sake! Not to mention plenty of other places for air to get trapped. Since the clutch worked OK using the usual bleed method I just did that and left it. It seemed to work OK until recently.

I decided that since motive didn't make an adapter for my clutch I'd make one. I just bought a new reservoir cap and used the old one for the adapter. All it took was two 3/8" barbed fittings (one in 1/4" NPT the other 3/8" NPT), a foot of vinyl hose (3/8" ID, 1/2" OD), a couple Oetiker clamps, the old cap, and some JB weld.

It worked great! I pushed two full reservoirs out through the bleeder screw. Before the clutch engaged right off the floor. Now it engages about a third the way up. I noticed it was easier to get it into gear too. I haven't taken it for a run yet, but I'm anticipating it will be better than before during shifts. Anyway I just wanted to share this method in case anyone is having issues bleeding their clutch.

Here's some pics of my work...

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:41 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-24-15, 06:26 PM   #30
uschearak
Gold Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: Silver 15' STI base
Fav Mod: IWSTI Knowledge
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

uschearak has a spectacular aura aboutuschearak has a spectacular aura aboutuschearak has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (2006 STI)

How do you clean your lines and bleeder after you're finished?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement