GD: Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers! - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!
Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Project Silverstreak: New diff and coilovers!

Old 08-04-14, 08:36 AM   #11
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about
Default Vendor Experience/Reviews

Killer B- ***** Awesome! Chris is very helpful. Every part I bought from him was extremely well made and fit perfectly with no modifications.

Cygnus Performance- ***** A great deal of my parts came from here. Suspension, brakes, Cobb AP, and some other stuff. Geoff is a great guy to deal with. This has been a long project and some parts I had for a couple years before getting to them. I had one odd issue with the Whiteline endlinks. The shafts are supposed to be 10mm, one came with 12mm. Even though it had been a long time since I bought the parts Geoff got right on it and helped me get the right part quickly. Whiteline's customer support had a role here too and they resolved my issue very quickly. So they get a thumb's up too.

The BoostCreep ltd.- ***** Harvey is an awesome guy and did a great job! He took the time to work on the details. After the dyno tune we jumped in the car for real world data with me driving and Harvey in the passenger seat with a laptop to make sure everything was perfect. I would go there again in a heartbeat!

C&G Machine- ***** I could not have built this car without them. I've known the owner for about 12 years and he's a great guy. He is also a car guy and built his own rock crawler so he has a good understanding of what's needed when it comes to the automotive realm.

Subi-mods- **** Another good company to deal with. There was a part I had been waiting on for a while. Hood struts They ended up upgrading my order and sent me a couple shirts to boot.

AST- *** I like their stuff. The valving on their dampers are awesome for our crappy roads here in the US. You wouldn't know my car had coilovers. I do have some minor gripes. I'm a fairly intelligent person, but had zero experience with coil-overs so then some instructions would have been nice, or even a link to instructions. Also when I called AST about a minor issue they weren't as helpful as I hoped they would be. Lastly the extenders for the rear adjusters are these rigid rods. It's great if there is a straight shot down to the damper, but that's not the case with the STI. It get's wedged between the rear deck lid and up right seat-cushion. This pushes the rod sideways and makes it very difficult to turn. I figured it was only a matter of time before it broke the adjuster tab off the damper so I bought the cable adjusters. You'd think for as much as AST's cost they would just include them or at the very least offer them as an option. Lastly it would have been nice if they would have included spring bushings so the springs don't dig into the aluminum adjusting collars. Again minor gripes from a critical person.

Wheeldude- ** I bought a set of 17 x 9 Rota Grids back in September. I noticed one of them was very out-of-round on the inside lip. The whole return process is ridiculous. You have to take all these pics then email them to wheeldude to get the process going. I probably called them 50 times or more throughout the process. They never called me back with an update. It took the better part of a week just to get the return label after Rota approved the return. At that point I was calling them everyday for a tracking number except the one day I couldn't get through. They had told me seven times they thought the wheel shipped, but couldn't get a tracking number. I figured it hadn't shipped and there is nine different ways to get tracking with a fed ex shipped package. Finally I pinned them down and got the wheel shipped. I will say the people at wheeldude were nice and polite, but very, very slow in getting my problem resolved. All in all it took a month and three days to get the new wheel from my first phone call to them about the bent wheel.

I had the advantage of my own tire mounting and balancing machines otherwise it would have cost me more money in mounting and balancing. In the end it cost me time, packing materials, some stick on weights and a tire valve. To anyone looking to purchase from this company be warned. You can't be in a hurry and if you're having someone else mount the wheels ask them to run them up on the balancer before mounting to check for trueness. It will still probably take a month or more to replace a defective wheel, but at least you can save the cost of mounting and balancing. This is the second set of Rotas I've purchased from this company although before they were still subydude and I had no issues. I knew what I was buying and the fact that a wheel wasn't quite right didn't really bother me. However the character of a company is in how they handle customer service and returns. I'm not sure what's going on over at wheeldude, but they didn't do a very good job at all. I won't be dealing with them again. I just wish there were more reasonable choices in a 17 x 9" et42 wheel.

AVO- ** My experience with them was somewhat less satisfying, but I still like their stuff. They make a nice exhaust, but it's not perfect. The bellmouth is separate and made of cast iron which is great. It also has a tongue that goes all the way in to the turbo between the wastegate and turbine. I had to get this machined for proper clearances which is OK since the engine was out and it wasn't that difficult to remove the turbine housing. Since different turbos have different depths there would be no way to fit them all. I also had to get the flange machined. It wasn't parallel to the gasket surface and I'm sure would have eventually cracked the ears off the turbine housing. I wish I had realized this before having the part coated so I didn't have to do it twice. Again no big deal, but I would have expected they would have thought of that at the factory. I was however displeased with the cat in the downpipe. It looks like the cat comes from a third party supplier. The welds on the downpipe are nice tig welds. The welds that hold the cat together are not. It's like a cheap fusion weld (not sure what it's actually called). It's not what you would expect on a $7-800 downpipe. Anyway the cat developed a crack on the weld very shortly after the install (less than 100 miles). The rep suggested that I get it welded locally because he thought that would be a quicker solution. This wasn't that easy to do. I finally found a guy to do it, but the whole process took about two months for the repair. The rep was right though. Initially it took me three months to get the system. I would buy these parts again because I really like the design on AVO's bellmouth. I think they have since changed it though probably because machining the tongue is too involved for most just looking to bolt on a down pipe. So it's not a truly divorced system anymore. However I would just get the cat welded as a matter of course if they're still made with those cheap welds. That would save me money on coatings since I had to have it coated twice also.

Some more machining after I had the part coated...

The cracked weld on the downpipe...

I tried three different shops before I finally found a welder who could fix the cat. He's aviation certified and I think he may have even done some welding on stealth aircraft. That's just cool. Anyway he did a great job!

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:00 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-14, 08:37 AM   #12
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Tuning!

Getting the car tuned was really exciting. I had it done by Harvey at TheBoostCreepltd. I had been taking it easy on the car up until that point. I was a bit nervous. At the car's most disassembled point the only things left in the car were the dash, wiring harness and A/C system. I was worried I had missed something on reassembly. The car ran great all the way to his shop though so that was inspiring, but once he started running it up I was bit nervous. It was all fine though. Harvey said he had never seen an STI like this before which I had taken as a high compliment knowing some of the amazing machinery that has passed through his shop. He asked me if my goal was to build the perfect stock STI. I said yea pretty much. To which he said well you succeeded.

The reaction was similar at my first autocross recently. I hadn't driven in an autocross in 2-1/2 years so it had been a while since I had seen my autocrossing brethren. A few tried to crawl under the car to see what I had done and kept teasing me that the car was too clean to autocross. I guess if there's one thing you can say about me is that I believe anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Since I had only finished the car about a week before I was worried about making a fool out of myself especially in my region where we have a lot of very good drivers and many national champions and repeat national champions. Turns out again all the worry was for not. The car was awesome. It almost drove itself. I managed third in class and 41 out of 163 drivers. I was 1.1 seconds behind the leader and a half second behind second. This happened in a brand new car with a driver that hadn't been on course in over two years. It was a pretty amazing day and I couldn't be happier with the result! I also could not be more happy and satisfied with my car. I love my STI!!!

Here's the STU map... (stock boost targets) 247.5HP -266 ft/lbs torque

...and the stage 2 map. 258HP -290.5 ft/lbs torque

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:03 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 08-04-14, 08:37 AM   #13
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Autocross! Hooray!!!

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:04 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-14, 01:11 PM   #14
TimM
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 WRX STI
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TimM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Project Silverstreak: The Perfect Build (or as near as I could get it)

Impressive...you did indeed do a few things no one has done...lots of sweat there.
Stage III: 327 WHP / 12.73 @ 106 MPH
Stage IV: 412 WHP / 367 WTQ / 12.28 @ 112 MPH
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 09-15-14, 07:35 PM   #15
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: SubySal's '06 STI STU build...

Well The Rivals are up for sale. Some people love 'em, but I just couldn't get them to work for me. I just had my first event on Hankook RS3 V2's yesterday and it was a night and day difference right out of the gate. Most noticeable was the significant increase in straight line braking. The RS3's remind me of the old Direzza Star Spec's which I loved. I've heard that the sidewalls are softer, but on 9" wheels they seemed fine on my runs. They do howl over the road like a pack of wolves in heat though. I can't see taking any long trips with them.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-16-14, 04:46 AM   #16
nlk3233
Contributor

Car: AW '05 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nlk3233 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, lots of work here that i would never think to do. Awesome man.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 09-20-14, 06:43 AM   #17
bossdog
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Fav Mod: TWM Short Throw Shifter w/bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bossdog is an unknown quantity at this point

I am totally Impressed! I suffer/delight in a mild form of OCD as well, I love to make everything as perfect as I can regardless of the project. I don't have the skills/experience, talent you clearly do. I love the photo of your garage/work space! That is totally Awesome! Clean, bright and well organized. I'm afraid if I had those conditions available to me, my wife would never see me again!

Well Done! Enjoy the car!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 11-08-14, 04:24 PM   #18
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

...got some HP all-season tires and wheels for the cold winter ahead. It was hard to choose between the DWS's and Noble 2's. I finally decided on the Hankooks because they have a slightly stiffer sidewall and the car isn't going to see snow. Also they were $35 cheaper per tire.

The wheels are Rota Grids. I got a great price on them and have had good luck with Rota's in the past. I like the way they look on the car, but after the fiasco in getting an out of round wheel replaced this will be my last set of Rotas. It just sucks that 17 x 9" wheels in GD fitment are getting so limited.

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:07 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-04-14, 08:15 PM   #19
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm not really into the frequent updates, but I figured I'd do a year end review. I bought my STI back in March of 2011, but it took a back seat until November of 2013. The project wrapped up with a protune on April 4,2014. The build itself was fun and challenging if not a little maddening. However, it has been a wonderful experience since driving the car. In some ways it turned out better then I expected. For example it's more streetable then I thought it would be. I've ran 7 autocross events with the car, but it didn't really come together on course until I switched to the Hankook RS3's. They gave me the consistent grip I was looking for so I could push the car right to the edge and keep it there. Though I still have issues with reading the course I was very happy with the results of the last event. Things really came together. And as an added bonus a good friend of mine let me take his car on my last run.

This car...

It was awesome! Obviously very different then the STI. The car was super-composed on course. The steering was the thing that really stuck out to me. It was sublime. Perfectly weighted and consistent. It makes me wish my STI's steering was a bit more like it, but I still love my car anyways. All in all it was a great end to a great year!

Last edited by SubySal; 02-02-18 at 11:13 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 12-06-14, 08:21 PM   #20
CygnusPerformance
Advanced Mastery Level IV
Feedback Score: 151 reviews

Car: 13PBP STi, 07STi LTD
Fav Mod: Super Pro Duroball LCA Bushings, Cygnus Performance X-1 Coilovers & Tactrix Openport 2.0
My Subaru Parts for sale

CygnusPerformance will become famous soon enoughCygnusPerformance will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post

It was awesome! Obviously very different then the STI. The car was super-composed on course. The steering was the thing that really stuck out to me. It was sublime. Perfectly weighted and consistent. It makes me wish my STI's steering was a bit more like it, but I still love my car anyways. All in all it was a great end to a great year!
I would agree with this 100%. Any 997's steering is going to make an STi's seem less than ideal in comparison. I am just talking from experience of driving run-of-the-mill CS2s. I'm sure a GT3 RS probably feels even better than that. That is why at least with the GRs I've tried to focus so heavily on improving steering feel. There are things that can be done to make it feel significantly better than it does off the showroom floor, but every time I drive a 997 or Cayman it makes me wish that my STi's steering felt more Porsche like as well... but then I put all of my skiing equipment on my roof and all of my gear in the back and remember that while my STi may not be perfect it is as close as I'm likely to get in a car that I can actually use for everything.

-Geoff
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement