IW STi Forum banner

Project TBAG, Dry sumped STI GT3 RSR!

GD: 
277K views 2K replies 57 participants last post by  Karlot 
#1 · (Edited)

STORY:

My name is Idin (pronounced like Eye-din).

I always knew Imprezas through the original Legacy and GC Impreza 555 rally cars but my favourite car was Lancia Delta Integrale HFs. That was until I started semi competitive PC rally gaming and came across THE blue car with a different sound :)

It had some understeer but lift off and left foot braking was almost magical and soon it was my favourite car...

Long story short, I have a 2002 genuine bugeye STI. Two years ago I bought a GR white hatch but ended up cancelling the order as

1-The bug "felt" better as more involving and analogue. Almost a nice hybrid between GC and GD having good attributes of each: raw and feelsome gc and chassis rigidity of GD, noting the little fanboy within :)

2- The dealer took too damn long to deliver.

GOAL:

My interpretation of a STI GT3 RS.

Special thanks to:
�GIR troops
�Chris Touge Tuning
�Ryan P2P racing
�Mario Veloce motorsport
�Adam Tuspeed
�Daniel JDL brakes
�Geoff Fullrace
�Neanderthal racing (Bruce), Alcoolaid (Arthur), Fuji K
�Troy Prospeedracing

Project TBAG:

�Bugeye STI

Exterior and Aero:

• Bug eye WRX STI 2002 Chassis
  • Jun bumper spoiler
  • Top stage V3 diffuser
  • Chargespeed dry carbon brake ducts
  • Custom fender
  • Singular motorsport fender vents
  • LIC over fenders
  • Launsport WRC dry carbon bonnet
  • Varis dry carbon trunk lid
  • Dungun WRC replica WRC mirrors
  • SM design wing
  • Charge speed vortex generator
  • L’aunsport WRC tarmac side skirts
  • Chargespeed bonnet vents
  • Prolightz custom headlights

Suspension:

• Full bushing upgrade
  • Full bushing upgrade throughout (WL, TIC and Kartboy)
  • Cusco engine mount
  • Cusco transmission mount
  • White line sway bars 24mm R, 22mm Front
  • Oswald Performance front sub frame brace
  • TSS Fab transmission crossmember
  • TSS Fab T brace
  • Super Pro front control arm assembly including ALK and end links
  • Super Pro steering rack bushings
  • TIC X brace
  • TIC fender brace
  • Beatrush floor brace
  • Beatrush trunk cage
  • Beatrush division plate
  • Cusco underbody mid chassis brace
  • Supashock pro custom coilovers with supashock top hats
  • MSI billet trailing arms and lateral links (pillow ball)

Driveline:

• JDM non DCCCD short ration 6speed
  • GFB short shifter, Carbing high grip shifter
  • Clucth masters single plate clutch
  • ACT pro lite flywheel
  • DSS drive shaft
  • Cusco RS 1.5 way rear LSD 1way front LSD
  • Goodridge SS clutch line

Electronics:

• Link G4+ plug in ECU
  • Motec C127 dash and logger
  • Aim smarty cam HD camera and GPS
  • Custom switch panel

Engine and power adder:

• P2P racing road race short block 2.35l
  • GIR competition heads
  • Process West V mount with minor mods
  • Custom oil cooler
  • Two stage dry sump
  • Bosch 1650cc injectors
  • Aeroflow 3l external surge tank, customised fuel tank
  • Process West street intake manifold and Hypertune billet DBC TB
  • GIR “secret sauce” rotated turbo kit, Gen 2 GTX 3582
  • Tomei Ti CBE

Brakes:

• Alcon Extreme advantage BBK 365mm 6pot front, 343mm 4 pot rear
  • Pagid RST3 pads
  • Custom brake ducts

Wheels and Tires:

• Volk Rays ZE 40 18x10 gunblue
  • Volk Rays ZE40 18x10 Bronze
  • Advan AD08R, Hoosier R7

Safety:

• 6 point bolt in steel cage-too heavy
  • Sabelt fire suppression system –mechanical
  • Schroth Profi 6 point harness
  • Velo podium 2 seat with billet rails

Supported by:

GotItRex, P2P racing, Prospeed Racing, Touge Tuning, Go Fast bits (GFB), Singular Motorsport, Veloce Motorsport

Attachments

See less See more
7 10
#397 ·
Re: Project TBAG, Dry sumped STI GT3 RS!

1- Got a huge bill from electrical guy which I found unfair. Trying not to bash anyone or point fingers. But here in Australia, it seems these builds are looked at as "opportunity"...
We are in talks for a more logical bill.

2- TGV leak from over torquing ?
Switched to Process West billet ones which came with significant delay (lost the dyno booking as a result). Still at dyno for a break in tune (2weeks already).

#398 ·

1- Got a huge bill from electrical guy which I found unfair. Trying not to bash anyone or point fingers. But here in Australia, it seems these builds are looked at as "opportunity"...
We are in talks for a more logical bill.

2- TGV leak from over torquing ?
Switched to Process West billet ones which came with significant delay (lost the dyno booking as a result). Still at dyno for a break in tune (2weeks already).
Hmm I've got to the stage where everything is quoted beforehand and any additional work needs to be authorized before work is completed, otherwise charges spiral out of control. I've learnt from bad experience.

So the car is still waiting for an initial break-in tune? Must be killing you. Is the Dyno just fully booked? Do you have any indications on timing?

#399 ·

Trying to get an update as we speak.

We did quoting before hand. But essentially there isn't enough competition and professionalism IMO ...

After break in dyno, the new axles and cough cough coil overs arrive (we're due in Jan!) and a few testing sessions.

I have talked to a GT team in Melbourne, they will take over after initial test is done.

Have to make the WTAC decision before 6th...

#400 ·

Trying to get an update as we speak.

We did quoting before hand. But essentially there isn't enough competition and professionalism IMO ...

After break in dyno, the new axles and cough cough coil overs arrive (we're due in Jan!) and a few testing sessions.

I have talked to a GT team in Melbourne, they will take over after initial test is done.

Have to make the WTAC decision before 6th...
Well good luck sorting it all out.

Go for WTAC, that would be amazing to be part of!

#404 ·

Update:

"Thanks for submitting your expression of interest for WTAC 2015!

Once your EOI has been processed and approved you will be contacted by WTAC staff and sent an invoice for your entry fee.
Your place will be confirmed once the entry fee has been paid.

For your reference a copy of your EOI is below."

#408 ·

Update:

So, the car has been with Graham West Dyno Adelaide for almost 3 weeks now for dyno break in and break in dyno.

There was a base map on the dyno, so they did not need to tune from scratch.

We had some boost leak issues which were sorted.

In the past 48h, I or Mario could not establish communication with GW and in particular Brett West.

Today, I received an 1800$ bill for the task above. I was also informed that they broke my genuine STI front wind screen.

How, they do not know. But they will replace it. With a cheap Australian brand, essentially replacing a genuine Japanese item with an over the shelf generic (read inferior) product.

I told them it came with a genuine part and it should be replaced with an identical item.

The answer was:

Go do whatever you want.
Get a lawyer, spend all the money and time you want. You won't get anywhere.
My care factor is zero and I could not care less (Brett West).

Ps, noting that it is a brand new engine and this is only break in dyno:

At sea level, WG pressure
Process West intake manifold
Hypertune Throttle body

It is making 290 whp at 5000rpm.

#413 ·

Windscreen as in windshield? Is it going to be a real difference?
Yes there is a difference, he didn't break it and he wants them to replace it with an OEM part, seems pretty simple to me...

why buy a real diamond when the fakes look pretty damn close, Why spend money on proper rims and not knock offs?

such a ridiculous question.

#416 ·

I understand why he is upset. If it was me I would be fuming. Just not convinced oem windshield is that high of a standard. Perhaps a used oem windshield. I know around here glass companies will do it, but you pay install if it breaks on removal or install.

#421 ·

Hopefully they know how to replace a windshield properly. I've seen cars starting to rust around the windscreen frame after they got replaced because they hurt the paint in the removing process of the glass itself and didn't protect it right.

Not that you have to replace A Pillars in like 5 years because of a shitty windscreen replacing job now.

#422 ·

Hopefully they know how to replace a windshield properly. I've seen cars starting to rust around the windscreen frame after they got replaced because they hurt the paint in the removing process of the glass itself and didn't protect it right.

Thanks for the heads up.

We are in the process of sourcing a genuine item out of my pocket.

Exactly for the same reason:

Change of plans:

Once the coil overs and axles are in ETA 2-3 weeks: the car will be transported to Melbourne Performance Centre

No testing and no body work in Adelaide.

The wiring is being finalised as we speak.

New coil overs on the way to Phil.

WTAC tired ordered:
8 tires 265/35/18 AD08R control tires

#425 · (Edited)

Despite all set backs and few bad experiences, I am committed to finish this properly and have a good go at WTAC.
Gotta box it through and have fun with it, otherwise it would just be wasted time, nerves & money.

You'll love the AD08Rs!
At least I love mine. They lasted the whole 20 minute turns at the Hockenheimring without any problems. And I'm running 225/40/18. Yokohama says to go for 2.2/2.3 bar hot pressure. Mid first turn at the HHR I got understeer from tires getting too hot because I had too much air in. Adjusted it for the 2nd turn and they were brilliant!
The size of tires I'm running, I expected them to start loosing grip mid turn/stint but they didn't (due to overheating, small tire size...).

Buddy on his GT86 complained about loosing grip with the AD08Rs mid turn/stint but that was just because he was too lazy to adjust the tire pressure right. Rule of thumb for me is to let out 0.5bar cold. So total cold pressure for me was around 1.85bar all around. Which resulted in around 2.2/2.3bar hot.

:)

#433 ·

Good luck Bruce.

Enjoy and drive safe!

Update:

The car is back with the new windscreen.

A note to the vendors:

"Near perfect" is NOT "perfect"...

I am surprised at how many people are failing me these days...

#434 ·

I am surprised at how many people are failing me these days...
I hate to say it because it seems so negative, but don't be surprised. the harsh truth is, unless you do everything with your own hands, you are dependent on others to treat all of the issues that arise with the same import you do. even then, you are at the mercy of others for parts.

it took years of frustration to convince me that being too attached to a timeline will kill all the joy. i'm fine now since my lobotomy.

#441 ·

Any updates? :) :tup:
Ok,

I did not want to update till it is ready but I guess I can post the pictures when TBAG is all ready.

We had a major delay on coilovers. Myles tried his best but long story short, after 7 months KW was able to produce a set of correct dampers for us and that was a major obstacle, cancelling majority of my planned prep. But I confirm that we have the right coilovers with right springs now.

The engine is running, 5 heat cycles and 45min on dyno so far.

Issues with the inter cooler piping, it is functional but does not look "good enough". We test fitted a Process West 72mm CAI with no significant improvement. Now Veloce doesn't do custom Subaru work. In fact this is the only STI they have "ever" done. and I have a suspicion, the last one as well. Haha

Body kit is 90% done. We did not use L'aunsport's amazing CF WRC fenders due to class regulations. Will post pictures when it is done and we can take "proper" pictures. I do not think some cell phone pics will do justice for amount of resources spent. I can just say: Thank you Mel (body shop), Prolightz, L'aunsport, Varis and JUN. Take this as a teaser. :tup:

Talking about class regulations:

WTAC Entry List | World Time Attack Challenge

Quite a few tuning shop demo cars, including few 10 sec GTRs, 500 hp S2000,...
Majority of the established competitors in National events. Sydney Motorsport Park is their back yard essentially. I do realize I will have limited testing and driving experience before the event but this is not the point:

I want to go there as prepped as I can, do the best I can and have fun.

I have reached mutual agreement with MPC (Melbourne Performance Centre) to finish the work, maintain TBAG and support me in WTAC 2015. They are 2012 Australian champions, a full on racing team if you like.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...UqWrO_0wXyGAekduQ&sig2=1de9RUN9o6XBPIjyo9u3ow

I think in around two weeks the car will be shipped to MPC:

To

Finish and modify piping.
Finish break in and dyno.
Fit the wing and make the uprights for it as per class rules.
Install fire bomb and racing seats and "bolt in" cage.
Start testing.

Not enough time and too much to do.

On my end:

Pay the rest of deposit on my back up Element Pro Comp motor
Back up rotors and pads

And more importantly, learn to drive the car again.

#442 · (Edited)

Major update and good quality picture to follow. Watch this space...

Ps, the 5x114 conversion is done.

The Braid tarmac rally wheels sold.

Group N axles installed

Spec C steering rack installed. Combined with a Sabelt steering wheel, it should feel amazing.
Oops I did'nt mean to say that now. :D

#443 ·

You could have told me to stop by at KW's Production Facility to increase their production speed for your Coilovers...:lol:
7 Months, geez that's long.

Can't wait for the pictures :)

Spec C Steering Rack, mine still isn't in. I hope it's in in ~two weeks. GF doesn't want me to work on the car during our holiday next week :tdown::crying:

Pardon my ignorance but what's the difference between Group N Axles & the regular ones? Never heard of the Group N Axles before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.