GD: blurred's '06 STI gtx2867r/vband, now with Recaro goodness :) - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
blurred's '06 STI gtx2867r/vband, now with Recaro goodness :)
blurred's '06 STI gtx2867r/vband, now with Recaro goodness :)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: blurred's '06 STI gtx2867r/vband, now with Recaro goodness :)

Old 10-13-14, 05:16 PM   #21
blurred
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: GTX2867R
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

blurred will become famous soon enough
Default Re: blurred's '06 STI gtx2867r/vband, non-racecar, fun, responsive build

A few more pictures of the progress, the car is finished now, should be tuned this weekend.

In progress, getting the turbo, inlet, lines etc in their final position to start bolting everything back on. A real emphasis was placed on clean routing to keep clutter at a minimum and to ensure servicing would be as easy as possible down the road.

GrimmSpeed TMIC, with 125cc water/meth nozzle and IAT temp sensor added to the underside, both AEM.

KillerB HolyHeader mounted, such a nice piece! You can just see the new custom dowpipe and the EWG recirculation pipe in the background. DP is 3.5", minimal bends (you can actually see through it the bends are so small) thanks to the stock(ish) location of the turbo.

Garrett GTX2867r with TiAl V-band housing, and TiAl MVS 38mm wastegate. The KillerB uppipe was modified for both the V-band housing and the EWG. The wastegate dump was recirculated at a very low angle merge at the bottom of the downpipe. A number of gussets and brackets were installed as well.

Semi-Completed engine bay, just a few little touch-ups and parts to go back on. I am pleased that it is still stock appearing and doesn't have lines and hoses all over the place. I also like that I was able to keep the FHI strut tower bar with the big tmic just by spacing it up a bit, also having enough room for an aos on the firewall.

Sorry for the phone quality pics, better ones to follow. Number and driving impressions next week
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-14, 02:57 PM   #22
blurred

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: blurred's '06 STI gtx2867r/vband, non-racecar, fun, responsive build

About a month ago I had the car tuned (I posted in the power section but forgot to update this thread... 2006 STI - 365whp/300wtq - GTX2867R )

I ended up with 365whp at 7000rpm and 300wtq, flat from 3800-6200rpm. The goal/hope was to keep 300wtq to 7000 but this wasn't possible with the setup unfortunately, we dropped about 20wtq from 6200-7000. This is perfectly acceptable as it is almost impossible to notice while driving.

https://www.youtube.com/v/4fnKVXghJWE

https://www.youtube.com/v/XtN4zn_Vcdw

This being a dynapack it doesn't show "spool" like an inertia dyno (unless you run a ridiculous ramp time) so this actually is similar to a 1st gear roll from idle. On the street when actually moving I have full torque by 3000-3200rpm. This is all kind of meaningless though, because it is so responsive that at partial throttle I am still making boost and it is basically impossible to be under 3000rpm. In actual driving, the second I hit the throttle I have full boost and because torque is flat almost to redline, there is no let up in power until I shift.

Some comparisons to my previous stg2 setup? I have more power off boost (less restriction with a freer flowing turbo). I have a more linear increase of power from vacuum to full boost, meaning I am making more actual power increases starting from 1-5psi where on the vf39 it felt more like you were either in vacuum or full throttle, full boost and not much in between. Between gears boost recovery is much better, there is less of the rubber band feeling. I can shift "slowly" and instantly be back at full boost in a WOT situation, where with the vf39 it always felt like it had to take a breather between gears if you didn't shift like a dsg.

Other than that, powerband is HUGE, I can't say enough good things about it. Having that rush to redline in every gear is something special. I absolutely hated having torque falling so much on the stock turbo, that feeling in 4th gear that you were making 100hp at 6000rpm... so glad that's gone now!

Next steps? Well first of all, it will be to change the exhaust out. Currently I am running a 3.5" downpipe and the wastegate is plumbed back in (at a very low angle merge) just before it necks down to my 3" MadDad dp/Whisper catback section. The main reason that torque is falling slightly is that we are starting to choke the turbine a bit. There are a few ways to solve this; cams, cam gears, higher compression ratio, reducing exhaust energy, larger turbine, larger turbine housing, reducing exhaust restriction... Well the obvious (read:cost effective) route is opening up the exhaust, so I will have a 3.5" built and use a Varex muffler so that I will have the ability to keep the noise down when trying to avoid unwanted attention.

Some additional notes: Oil and coolant temps are rock solid and "low", they don't spike at all. Some of this is due to using a fresh AC condenser and using a TMIC, my new Koyo rad is getting as much fresh air as possible, I haven't seen coolant temps over 193f and no oil temps over 95c. After numerous dyno pulls and plenty of "fun" driving they don't spike at all. IATs are basically ambient, I have only watched them on one drive to be honest, but 12c outside temp I was seeing IATs from 11-15c (measured post intercooler) before, during, and after a couple of 2 gear pulls on the hwy, so at this power level, no need for concern of the TMIC, however next summer I will be taking more notice.

Here are a couple of driving videos, one of just a quick 1st through 4th:

https://www.youtube.com/v/9RNpQ9kHeAA

This video I wanted to try to show how responsive this is from a worst case scenario. This video I am rolling along in 1st gear, foot completely off throttle, at idle speed. I go WOT and go first through 4th and 60mph comes up right around 5sec. I would actually like to compare this to any other setups so if you have a similar video, or could make one I would like to see it (showing speed/boost/rpm)

https://www.youtube.com/v/u9nC3hGwL-c

Last edited by blurred; 10-30-15 at 04:46 PM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 05-20-15, 02:17 PM   #23
blurred

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Now that the sun is back out, the salt is off the roads and the pavement is getting warmer it was time for a tire upgrade.

Now that I'm putting less km per year I decided it was time for some r-compounds. Initially I ordered some Toyo RA1s, but they only shipped 3 and didn't have anymore in stock... So next up were some Nitto NT01s (same compound as the toyos) however they were out of stock as well, with no ETA... So third times a charm and I went with the Toyo R888s in the same 255/40/17 size.

They are pretty similar in width to the 255/40/17 Direzza2 so I didnt need to do any clearance work (very close to running inboard on the rear though... Maybe a 1-3mm spacer will be added)

Got them installed and another perfect alignment at ABM Auto Centre.

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-15, 07:10 AM   #24
AdamJames
Contributor

Car: White 04 WRX STi
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

AdamJames is on a distinguished road

I love this build! I always fantasize what it would be like to have a V8ish torque curve, but most people just want max power. Keep it up!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-28-15, 08:56 AM   #25
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Awesome build! Looks like we share some philosophies in building STI's although my power mods are limited because of the autocross class I race in. This brings me to my question. Allowances are changing for 2016 meaning wider tires than before can be used. I'm looking at running the same wheels as you with 255/40 R17 Bridgestone RE71R's. I don't have adjustable lateral links, but it looks like are set ups are very similar. Have you had any issues with tire or wheel fitment?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-30-15, 12:41 AM   #26
blurred

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
Awesome build! Looks like we share some philosophies in building STI's although my power mods are limited because of the autocross class I race in. This brings me to my question. Allowances are changing for 2016 meaning wider tires than before can be used. I'm looking at running the same wheels as you with 255/40 R17 Bridgestone RE71R's. I don't have adjustable lateral links, but it looks like are set ups are very similar. Have you had any issues with tire or wheel fitment?
If you can/willing to pull your rear fenders you should be ok at -2 or maybe a bit more depending on ride height... But don't quote me. I always planned to use the adj lateral links to ensure fitment. When I test fit the wheels/tires initially with the rear at ~13" and -1.6 on camber plate only I found that it would smash the fender. I have a pic earlier on that shows this to a degree. My fronts are rolled but I'm not certain that it was necessary at -2.1

I can say that in hard cornering up to 130mph i haven't had any rubbing, and nothing over bumps, so it does fit in the fenders quite well.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-30-15, 08:03 AM   #27
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

Ah ok thanks. I can' t do any pulling. Rolling the lip is allowed, but there's not much to roll on an 06. In the rear my ride height is a bit higher at 13.5" and the camber is -2. I may be at the limit back there with the wheels, tires and spring rates I'm running now though. My front is like -3.4 so I wasn't too worried about clearance there.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-30-15, 08:52 AM   #28
blurred

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubySal View Post
Ah ok thanks. I can' t do any pulling. Rolling the lip is allowed, but there's not much to roll on an 06. In the rear my ride height is a bit higher at 13.5" and the camber is -2. I may be at the limit back there with the wheels, tires and spring rates I'm running now though. My front is like -3.4 so I wasn't too worried about clearance there.

This is at ~12.5-13" -1.6, oem lateral links, camber plates. Strut slots were probably outward but I'm not sure, so camber was probably all from the plates. This stuck out past the fender by probably 5-10mm...

I think you should play with some spacers first to test clearance cause you'll be sooooo tight
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-30-15, 01:36 PM   #29
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
Well all my headlight stuff is done and I finally had a chance to go out and take some proper photos. unfortunately I don't have a tripod so these were all handheld and at a fairly slow shutter so they could be a bit sharper but are ok.
All photos were taken at the same aperture, shutter speed and focal length. post processed for some noise reduction, sharpness, and to make white balance the same through all photos. No exposure compensation
f2.8, 16mm, 1/3 shutter, iso100

so,
OEM 2006 Subaru STI projectors
TRS TSX-R clear lenses
Philips 85122XV Xtreme Vision bulbs (low beams)
Philips HIR (high beams)
Light corner marker tint film
Morimoto 5Five 50w ballasts (low beams)
GoldenEye mod

All work provided by Dynamotorsports

Image Link

Image Link

This build looks fun! Stock motor? I'm looking into a turbo upgrade sometime soon and will have to give the gtx2867r some thought!

Quick question... what is the Goldeneye mod? Is that what is giving your projector bulb that golden ish color? I like...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-31-15, 02:46 PM   #30
blurred

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapp View Post
This build looks fun! Stock motor? I'm looking into a turbo upgrade sometime soon and will have to give the gtx2867r some thought!

Quick question... what is the Goldeneye mod? Is that what is giving your projector bulb that golden ish color? I like...

Thanks, yes stock motor, clutch (although at 230,000km it is now worn out)

Yep, a lot of people were doing "demon eye" mods to the backside of the shield and my friend that did the retro for me had done a couple of his own cars this way using the dei gold heat tape and being reflective it works pretty well.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement