GD: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound
Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound

Old 02-27-14, 07:14 PM   #21
yazel
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2004 STi
Fav Mod: Sparco Evo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

yazel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SM Class STI - EvapLeaks

If it is a leaking charcoal canister, it will probably get worse than one gallon at a time sadly. The fix really isn't all that bad though.

Just take the charcoal canister off to check if it is leaking charcoal. If it is, clean the lines out and check to see if that fixed it. You may have to pressurize the vacuum lines if it is really bad to clean them out as charcoal can get all the way to the engine bay via those vac lines. If your charcoal canister is bad and you decide to replace it over deleting, this is the part number: 42036AC020

It is like $90 retail at the dealership or cheaper elsewhere.

One of the vapor/pressure valves back there could be bad too. That may be the problem. To check those, just put the car in test mode via the green connectors under the dash and go back there to check that the solenoids are functioning.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-14, 10:09 AM   #22
SolidSTI
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Matte Black Vinvl
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SolidSTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SM Class STI - EvapiLeaks

Charcoal canister it is. Some charcoal fell out of the middle line and the small one to the right. I shook them and hooked them up to a shop vac and got some charcoal out. Think that'll be enough?

Sadly I don't have a replacement canister, but will be ordering one today. I've completely emptied the current one, which was a HUGE pile. Think it will be fine to re-install and drive to work? I don't see any issue, so unless someone says otherwise I'll do that.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-02-14, 11:30 AM   #23
yazel

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I drove on mine a couple days with no charcoal in it (I completely emptied mine as well). I noticed air fuel was a little weird in cruise regions with it like that though so I replaced it quickly.. may have been something else but it went away with the new charcoal canister. I say either delete it completely or get a new one.

Go test and see if the tank fills up normal now if you need gas. If not you may have some more work to do.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-14, 05:40 PM   #24
SolidSTI
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Fav Mod: Matte Black Vinvl
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SolidSTI is on a distinguished road

Tested it and worked perfectly pumping gas. Idle was a bit finiky, smelled extra rich. I'll order a new canister tonight.

Also experienced a faulty headlight switch on my AE86 while running errands. Hitting it would cause the lights to come back. I've got to either rebuild it or pull one off the usdm project ae86 that I have.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-02-14, 07:04 PM   #25
yazel

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Awesome! The weird idle should go away once you get the new canister on too.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-03-14, 08:42 AM   #26
BAMF_STi
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: RCE T2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BAMF_STi is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that's the code I have. I've been driving with it like that for 2 years probably. When I'm pumping gas it shuts off early, but not every gallon. My gas mileage isn't terrible. I'm averaging 16-20 around town in the winter. It does smell super rich when idling though.

If that fixes yours, I may have to do the same.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-03-14, 09:08 AM   #27
yazel

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

The super rich smell usually occurs when it is really cold out. It is an actual small fuel leak on the passenger side of the engine bay where fuel comes into the bay I believe.. I forget how to fix it. Mine does it on really cold days on cold start. It goes away with warm weather.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-03-14, 12:33 PM   #28
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Carl's 05 Stock Turbo SM Class STI - It's Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSTI View Post
Got under the car today, since I thought the CV was going out. No tears on either boots, so maybe they are just going out despite having adequate grease.

Rewind to 2-3 months ago. I was putting the OEM struts in the car while the coils were being rebuilt. The LCA wouldn't extend low enough to allow me to install the stuts. After some swearing and pushing they actually lowered enough and I was able to install the strut. On the FR side, they whole axle pulled out of the trans when I lowered the control arm. I popped it back in using the hub, since the axle nut was still attached.

Ever since then at full right I have heard some popping. That's the only time I hear anything from the car.
I have the same issue with lowering my control arms, even with the sway bar disconnected. I have to practically hang on the thing to get the strut in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazel View Post
The super rich smell usually occurs when it is really cold out. It is an actual small fuel leak on the passenger side of the engine bay where fuel comes into the bay I believe.. I forget how to fix it. Mine does it on really cold days on cold start. It goes away with warm weather.
If you're getting the raw fuel smell on cold starts it could be coming from a couple places underneath the intake manifold. It's happened twice with my car and luckily the lines that were leaking were accessible without removing the manifold. I was able to tell which side it was coming from just by cycling the fuel pump and then sniffing around my engine Depending on which side the smell is coming from, you can either remove your AC compressor or your power steering pump to access some of the fuel clamps. I used some long needle nose pliers and grabbed the the threaded part of the screw to tighten them up since I couldn't get a screwdriver on them. No leaks since
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-03-14, 01:25 PM   #29
yazel

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Cool. [email protected] did the fix for me once, but in a different place I think. I think I know where its at though.. definitely on drivers side I believe.

It didn't happen today.. it seems to happen when the ambient temp is below 20*F though.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-03-14, 07:02 PM   #30
BAMF_STi
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: RCE T2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BAMF_STi is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had the cold day fuel leak as well. I put it in a friends heated garage and it stopped leaking. It was the lines running from the injectors dripping on to the heater core. The clamps under the manifold naturally had the screw head facing the block. So the manifold came off and they all got tightened. Such a stupid problem to have.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement