GD: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound - Page 15 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound
Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound

Old 11-14-17, 04:48 AM   #141
SolidSTI
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: Matte Black Vinvl
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

SolidSTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Carl's 05 SM Class STi - LeMons and HPDE bound

Just got back from the LeMons race in Houston. Here is a little recap.

Judge Phil's gallery: 2017 Houston We Have a Problem 24 Hours of Lemons, MSR Houston

We've done well each race, but tend to retire from breaking rear spindles. To fix that we did a conversion to a MK4 rear spindle/bearing/hub/brakes with adapter plates. We had to do some fender "mods" to get the wheels to fit due to the spindle adapters spacing everything. A bit of cutting on the front of fender towards the car, then the roller broke, so I finished the roll with channel locks. You can see the precision above.

Race Day 1
I started the MSR Houston race on Saturday and after about a few laps one of the screaming fast Audi B-class cars had passed us. We were P2 and they were P1. I didn't pay them any attention, since I have never seen an audi finish a LeMons race. After 5 laps they blew up and we were in 1st place.

Approximately 1.5 hours later we are still in 1st, however we are under full course caution due to so many break downs and wrecks. The team decides to do an undercut to lose less laps in pits. We swap in Tyler and re-fuel, only losing about 2 laps out of our lead. An rookie team flips their car coming into turn 1 from digging into the dirt, so we red flag for about 20 mins. After restart Tyler spins the car into T1 resulting in a black flag. A 70s Civic takes the B Class lead. I pull Tyler out of the car, refuel, and send Chris out. We couldn't tell if it was a driver error or debris on track.

Chris's stint goes well and turns some fast laps. There were no incidents, but the Civic in P1 B class begins to have pace problems and some black flags. We run Chris until he is on the fuel light and there is less than 2 hours of the race. We put my wife Cassey in the car to finish out the day.

End of day we are P1 in B class and P5 overall in the race.

Race Day 2
Chris starts the race, but we are not in position 5 on the race start, as the organizers were upset about the high number of black flags. The P1 overall car had 0 of them, so they got to keep position, but everyone else was given the order of arrival to the pit lane. We start that race around 8th slot.

His stint goes well for the first hour, but he ends up passing under yellow resulting in another black flag. We don't serve time in penalty box due to a $100 donation to charity, but we still lose 2.5 laps. Our 7 lap lead keeps dwindling and the P2 car, a Porsche 944 has us on pace. Last part of Chris's stint before driver swap he drops two off track, we are worried he will black flag and be parked for at least an hour. Fortunately for us he doesn't get flagged. Driver swap occurs without a hitch.

Fortunately we put Cassey in the car next. She is calm and doesn't have a man's ego. She turns laps, stays out of trouble and goes 2 hours with fuel to spare.

Tyler gets in the car, but he seems shaken from the spin that lost us laps the day before. His pace is down about 5-10 seconds per lap. The Porsche 944 is approximately 2 laps down with 3 hours of racing to go. Racing is stopped from a red flag, a 914 has hit the pit wall hard. Tire barrier damaged and the walls moved. This takes 20-30 minutes to get into order. We are at 3/4 of a tank and I am worried we won't have fuel for the restart. Officials tell me we cannot re-fuel at reformation even from our paddock. Tyler notes he is feeling very sick and cannot continue. We put me in to try and finish the race, but hypermiling will probably need to happen.

My stint starts about 2:30 IIRC and the aggression on track is madness. Everyone is trying to take advantage of the last 1.5 hours of racing to make moves. The Honda Civic that has dropped to P3 in B class hits the same wall as the 914 and flips over. I'm parked on track. The time is about 3:15PM, so 1 hour until checkered. I ask what position we are in, P1 in class, P5 overall. I start to consider we may win the race from a stationary position under red flag. Kind of a bummer not to race across the checkered.

At about 3:40 yellow flags come out for reformation, then green again. After turn 2 I can see the 944 entering the finish straight. They are probably 20 seconds behind us, but still 1 lap down. After 10 minutes they are on my bumper and we trade positions a few times in traffic. My goal was to stay with them until 2 minutes left in the race, as if we crashed, black flagged, etc. They would have enough time to unlap themselves. With 6 minutes left in the race our fuel light comes on. We only need 3 more laps.

I get back ahead of the 944 after getting a run out of bus stop and maintain that for a few laps. Right before carousel I get the call on the radio "checkered flag". I back off letting the 944 fly by and coast through the last corner to cross the finish line.

Last edited by SolidSTI; 11-14-17 at 04:52 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-17, 09:32 AM   #142
SolidSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

24 Hours of LeMons - MSR Houston 11/11/2017 - Carl Race Start - YouTube
Working on getting all the race footage together. This is just race start and my stint of day 1. Guess I'll get a playlist after everything is uploaded.

Playlist: 24 Hours of LeMons - MSR Houston 11/11/2017 - Carl Race Start - YouTube

Last edited by SolidSTI; 11-16-17 at 06:34 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-05-18, 05:27 AM   #143
SolidSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Lemons Wrapup--MSR Houston (Fall) '17 - YouTube

LeMons did a wrap-up of the race we won and talked about our team name making some great F&F jokes.

I got an STi trunk from a used subaru parts dealer in Florida. Was a little more beat up than the pictures showed, but it is my original color. Debating getting the car re-wrapped or just peeling my matte black and rocking silver.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement