GD: Jim's Journal - They were wrong; The world is flat - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Jim's Journal - They were wrong; The world is flat
Jim's Journal - They were wrong; The world is flat
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Jim's Journal - They were wrong; The world is flat

Old 09-13-13, 11:04 AM   #11
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jim's Journal - They were wrong; The world is flat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlobEyeGuy View Post
I'm in Amesbury, about 500' to the left of NH haha. I'm scheduled to work this weekend But, I just checked out the schedule and should be able to make it the 29th. I'd hope work can find someone to cover me given 2 weeks notice...

Were you beating the hell out of the motor, or more so the suspension at that team O'Neil thing? Or was it just rough all around? Curious because I plan on replacing the suspension soon anyway, but not so much on the bottom end.
Suspension, and my poor brembos The course was a solid sheet of ice. They got a foot or two of snow a couple nights before we went and it hadn't really been taken care of until we got there. The course was full of ruts after a while. Some rocks got wedged between my wheels and front caliper and gouged up my brembos If you're looking to keep the car in nice condition, rallyx isn't a good idea. If you don't care, DO EET.

Here's one of my runs. Pretty much zero traction out there lol.
https://www.youtube.com/v/_fPBDus8tnE

About your engine. 60k miles and you're worried about it? Don't be. I'm at 134k on the stock motor. It was stock for 106k, stage 2 for maybe 10k and where I'm at now (380whp on a high reading dyno) for another 20k. Lots of autocross abuse. As long as you take care of it and your tune is good, you'll be fine.

Last edited by willub; 09-13-13 at 11:08 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-13, 07:18 PM   #12
BlobEyeGuy
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: 05 Aspen White STi
Fav Mod: ...Pick 1?
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlobEyeGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dspin_1080 View Post
Check out my Journal for the main shop I use

They'll hook you up no problem.. Still had some in stock a few weeks ago... I'm positive nothing has changed
Much appreciated! I dont know if I missed it, but I could only find the scoop, not the actual vent kit. Regardless, I emailed 'em and should hopefully be purchasing soon. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Suspension, and my poor brembos The course was a solid sheet of ice. They got a foot or two of snow a couple nights before we went and it hadn't really been taken care of until we got there. The course was full of ruts after a while. Some rocks got wedged between my wheels and front caliper and gouged up my brembos If you're looking to keep the car in nice condition, rallyx isn't a good idea. If you don't care, DO EET.

Here's one of my runs. Pretty much zero traction out there lol.
movie

About your engine. 60k miles and you're worried about it? Don't be. I'm at 134k on the stock motor. It was stock for 106k, stage 2 for maybe 10k and where I'm at now (380whp on a high reading dyno) for another 20k. Lots of autocross abuse. As long as you take care of it and your tune is good, you'll be fine.
Haha I think the only thing in good condition is my brembos The clear along with some paint on my front fender is peeling baaad, and the paint match on my hood looks almost as bad. Bad enough to make me want to either plastidip or vinyl wrap the thing. That looked like it was really fun; before I take any steps to make it look nice again thats definitely on the list!

And those are some great numbers, especially on something with over 100k! That makes me feel a lot better about my engine. Kind of to the point where I may just have to get myself a bigger turbo sooner than I thought. Maybe even one of them fancy ones that goes in at a funky angle.

Good luck at Devens this weekend!

Off topic: Cruised with a black GR hatch around 1230 on 495S for a few minutes before you took your exit, might've been exit 48? If that was anyone here, hi
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-14-13, 06:13 AM   #13
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Much appreciated! I dont know if I missed it, but I could only find the scoop, not the actual vent kit. Regardless, I emailed 'em and should hopefully be purchasing soon. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction

Haha I think the only thing in good condition is my brembos The clear along with some paint on my front fender is peeling baaad, and the paint match on my hood looks almost as bad. Bad enough to make me want to either plastidip or vinyl wrap the thing. That looked like it was really fun; before I take any steps to make it look nice again thats definitely on the list!

And those are some great numbers, especially on something with over 100k! That makes me feel a lot better about my engine. Kind of to the point where I may just have to get myself a bigger turbo sooner than I thought. Maybe even one of them fancy ones that goes in at a funky angle.

Good luck at Devens this weekend!

Off topic: Cruised with a black GR hatch around 1230 on 495S for a few minutes before you took your exit, might've been exit 48? If that was anyone here, hi
Thanks. Have fun with the car. Get er' dirty
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-13, 11:23 AM   #14
BlobEyeGuy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ordered a JVC 840BT last night, cant wait to be able to stream Pandora instead of putting my phone in the cup holder speaker side down to get a little more sound out of it

Will update when I'm frustrated because I'm too dumb to figure out how to wire it

Update: Head unit is installed, and it surprisingly actually works. It was my first time attempting any sort of electrical in a car so I was very apprehensive. There were a lot of those, "really, I had a hard time figuring that out..." It sounds a lot better than my stocker, and has bluetooth!

Last edited by BlobEyeGuy; 09-21-13 at 06:49 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-25-13, 06:43 PM   #15
BlobEyeGuy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ordered more stuff! Ordered a forester single din pocket so I can have something that looks a little more finished. I plan on painting all the silver on the center console with some satin black while its all apart. Also ordered a Prodrive shift knob to spice up the interior a little more.

I'd also like to purchase a spare dash in the near future so I can attempt to flock it and still have a dash when I fail miserably. After that, a seat I don't flop around in all the time and the interior should be complete.

Should be....
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 09-27-13, 11:43 AM   #16
RecceRS
Advanced Mastery Level I

Fav Mod: Privacy
My Subaru Parts for sale

RecceRS is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Jim's Journal - They were wrong; The world is flat

Quote:
I'd also like to purchase a spare dash in the near future so I can attempt to flock it and still have a dash when I fail miserably.
Mine is collecting dust in my garage. However, I did paint it flat black a few years ago. Looks decent with minimal glare, but not as sexy as flocking though. Call in advance so I don't shoot you for trespassing.

Last edited by RecceRS; 09-27-13 at 11:58 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-07-13, 02:01 PM   #17
BlobEyeGuy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Been super busy lately. The company moved its main office from Andover to Boston, and set up a satellite office in NH...and decided I should be in charge of the move. Dummies.

Got my Prodrive knob installed and the console painted in satin black, as well as installed the forester single din pocket. I installed the console a little too soon and left some prints so I'll have to respray it this weekend but all in all it looks a lot better than that silver!

Note to those installing the forester single din pocket. It can only open up; if you have it open down (like your lighter pocket) your radio trim piece will not fit! I learned this at 2100 hours on a sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecceRS View Post
Mine is collecting dust in my garage. However, I did paint it flat black a few years ago. Looks decent with minimal glare, but not as sexy as flocking though. Call in advance so I don't shoot you for trespassing.
And thanks Jay! I'll have to figure out how to get it down here, its not often I'm that far north. Not to mention the whole possibility of getting shot thing doesn't sound too appealing
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-07-13, 03:46 PM   #18
got2boostit2
Administrator
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

got2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to allgot2boostit2 is a name known to all

Quote:
Note to those installing the forester single din pocket. It can only open up; if you have it open down (like your lighter pocket) your radio trim piece will not fit! I learned this at 2100 hours on a sunday.
There is an old thread somewhere on that very subject........

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-08-13, 10:03 AM   #19
BlobEyeGuy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
There is an old thread somewhere on that very subject........
Like I didn't feel dumb enough getting my ass kicked by an inanimate object to begin with, you point out I'm twice as dumb as I thought

That's what I get for not reading....
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-08-13, 07:08 PM   #20
BlobEyeGuy

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Dont know how I forgot to mention this but, the STi is no longer my DD I now enjoy a roughly 2 hour ride in a thrilling Olds Alero; Where passing gear doesnt rev above 3K RPM...

On the upside, I can now do all sorts of unnecessary things to the STi. Unnecessarily stiff suspension, unnecessarily hard mounts, unnecessarily loud, unnecessary amounts of power...

I want to make the switch to E85 where there's a station less than 2 miles from my work. I figure I'll enjoy my ride once a week and fill up a couple of 5 gallon canisters for the weekend.

I'm hoping to have some injectors, a fuel pump, an EWG, and maybe a catless downpipe in favor of my current catted DP (per my tuners recommendation - any experts have opinions on this?) installed in the next couple of months. Maybe even a seat I fit in if the budget allows.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement