GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Another day, another mod ;) - Page 116 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Another day, another mod ;)
BlueScooby's 06 STI - Another day, another mod ;)
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Another day, another mod ;)

Old 02-19-19, 04:47 AM   #1151
BlueScooby
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody/Diffuser V3 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Addiction View Post
Lovin this man. If you need help with CFD let me know. Can't guarantee I'll know the answer but I have an ME degree and have worked with fluid flow for years now designing hydroelectric turbines.
Thanks man! I definitely have more to learn, although my biggest obstacle is getting a model that actually resembles my car. I basically used a single profile extrusion previously since that was the main thing I was interested in, but it would be great to get a pretty realistic model...

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-19, 04:59 AM   #1152
Boost_Addiction
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB 05 STi
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Boost_Addiction is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
Thanks man! I definitely have more to learn, although my biggest obstacle is getting a model that actually resembles my car. I basically used a single profile extrusion previously since that was the main thing I was interested in, but it would be great to get a pretty realistic model...
Funny you say that. I am 98% sure that I have a full 3d rendering of an STI. I'll have to double-check when I get home

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-19, 05:14 AM   #1153
BlueScooby
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

You might just be my hero then. haha

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-19, 05:25 AM   #1154
Boost_Addiction
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
You might just be my hero then. haha
Haha i bought it for designing aero and just havent had a ton of free time. If i dont get back to you by tomorrow morning, send me a PM to remind me (I've got a goldfish memory).
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-19, 05:42 AM   #1155
BlueScooby
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I did get the diffuser mounted, tested ground clearance and have been driving around with it for a couple days now. I think I managed to mount just a hair lower than the previous V2 setup, despite literally using all the pieces as a template to build the V3... I mounted it slightly different though, and thats probably it.

I'm really pleased with the outcome, especially how the design of this one allowed me to have zero bolts/rivets/airflow-interruptions on the under side of the diffuser. Those cause a lot of drag which reduces the effectiveness of the diffuser, so smooth is best!

I'm also excited to see how the lateral expansion I added plays into the diffuser effectiveness. Now that I'm done building it, I'm a little torn on whether I think it will have actually been a good idea or not... Once I can get a good rain to drive through (tomorrow maybe) I will be able to check to see how the water acts with the diffuser. If it is still fully-wetted after driving around, thats a good indication that I'm not suffering from any stall (thats the main reason I built the V2 setup from the V1). I know the angle isn't too steep to cause stall since the V2 didn't suffer at all (that I could tell) and the V3 is maybe 1 degree less steep.

In any case, I'm sure you really just want to see some pictures

One small complaint about the diffuser first though. Welding the strakes on the diffuser did cause it to warp a touch, so the lines at the back aren't quite as crisp as I hoped. Its not much but you always see your own imperfections...

Starting the process of finishing the hanger bracket for the center:

Once the bracket was welded, I added to support rods to the end-fences and painted it.

Here is the "clearance" test coming out of the driveway This is where I think the V2 was slightly higher by 1/2" or 1" but I also designed the V2 for a steeper driveway...

And some "finished install" pics:

Lastly, some look-how-smooth pics

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-19-19, 06:40 AM   #1156
Boost_Addiction
Becoming A Contributor

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - V3 Diffuser/underbody finished/installed

so much approval
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-20-19, 10:29 AM   #1157
BlueScooby
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - V3 Diffuser/underbody finished/installed

Got my first decent rain-drive after installing the V3 diffuser, and all is well! Diffuser is fully wetted (minus the inside edge of the strakes/end fences but that's to be expected for water).

I saw a lot of water coming up, and believe it or not, at times I could even see vorticies forming off the endfences. It was hard to see in the mirror, but at times, I was definitely able to see curling airflow(water) on the ends. That is the coolest thing I've seen yet. The only thing better would be renting a wind tunnel

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 02-24-19, 12:00 PM   #1158
BlueScooby
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - V3 Diffuser rain test video

Video from the rain this weekend. Its hard to really capture the rain on camera, but having realized the "effect" is most pronounced in the center of the car's wake, I tried mounting the camera on the trunk this time.

You can clearly see the spray coming up, all though it still doesn't seem as impressive as seeing it in person. I can start to see the wisps of water around 40mph, but at 50-55mph, its starts to get really thick. It appears to be reaching upwards of 6ft or so in the air now (definitely above the top of the car).

https://www.youtube.com/v/Dm04ZiMC-Os
Youtube link, incase imbedding fails

I replaced my old-n-worn karboy endlinks this weekend with the Whiteline Ball-socket endlinks. No more clunking, or sway bar preload!

Also, I just signed up for a track day at NCCAR on the 16th! Man I'm excited to be back out on track!

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-19, 04:47 AM   #1159
BlueScooby
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

carbotech pads installed, brake fluid flushed, 10 days to go!

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-06-19, 04:55 AM   #1160
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

Interesting to see how the aero will work on track.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement