GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 51 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 04-24-16, 03:07 PM   #501
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - finally moving towards stage 2 :D

$20 and 2hrs later, I did a thing:

Fairly pleased with the outcome. i really like how the light reflects off of it.

I bought a 5' long roll of the 3M vinyl which was a good idea because I had to redo the center section and needed some spare pieces too. Trying to cover 3D objects with a 2D sheet is a little challenging... Particularly the corners that are not flat. Wound up having a piece underneath for those corners to keep from having gaps. Im surprised how clean it looks with all the imperfections.

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06

Last edited by BlueScooby; 08-04-17 at 03:36 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-16, 12:56 AM   #502
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Never been a fan of the carbon vinyl. Just adds weight

No, looks allright!
Wondering how it would look if you apply some layers of clear coat over it. If I remember right, 3M states that their carbon vinyl wrap is paintable.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 04-25-16, 03:26 AM   #503
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

thats an interesting idea, i bet it would be suuuper shiny and last pretty good that way.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-16, 04:00 PM   #504
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I just realized i never posted up any pictures of the downpipe install...

Heres the comparrison of the new/old (OEM). quite the difference

And after the install:

You can see I've got some "patching" to do now that the downpipe doesn't have a second catalytic converter on it... I'll post up some after pictures whenever I get around to fixing those gaping holes in the underbody... haha

In other news, here are some of the other goodies waiting to go on the car.

ceramic coated TGV deletes:

AMR turbo inlet hard pipe:

I also picked up a used UP and EWG to go on with the upcoming tune. I'll be dropping them off at the ceramic coater first though. I plan to try to fab some kind of "muffler" for the dump tube, so its not crazy loud.

Last edited by BlueScooby; 08-04-17 at 03:39 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-16, 01:13 AM   #505
ben_der

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Have you driven the car hard since you installed the closed underbody?
I was discussing doing the same with another friend who has his own VW Polo Race Car with a closed underbody and everything, and he said that he had issues with wax turning into liquid again because of the heat builtup in some parts.

Need to visit him soon to discuss things. He's all fire and flames for Racecar-STI-mods

Nice hardpipe you got there! I want one too one day
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-16, 03:19 AM   #506
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
Have you driven the car hard since you installed the closed underbody?
I was discussing doing the same with another friend who has his own VW Polo Race Car with a closed underbody and everything, and he said that he had issues with wax turning into liquid again because of the heat builtup in some parts.

Need to visit him soon to discuss things. He's all fire and flames for Racecar-STI-mods

Nice hardpipe you got there! I want one too one day
Ive done a set of "parade laps" for charity so far but thats it. Where did your friend have wax turning back to liquid? The only place I can think of that heat would build up would be around the transmission/exhaust tunnel. But then again, my hood and beatrush undertray are both vented, so heat shouldn't be building up in the engine bay too bad.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-16, 03:25 AM   #507
ben_der

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

At the rear section where his muffler was. A lot of more heat buildup between the underbody and the chassis itself.
Haven't seen the underside of his car in person so I can't really say how it looks there. He just mentioned it when I've told him about the idea.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-16, 04:01 AM   #508
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
At the rear section where his muffler was. A lot of more heat buildup between the underbody and the chassis itself.
Haven't seen the underside of his car in person so I can't really say how it looks there. He just mentioned it when I've told him about the idea.
The back does get hot, but thats the case regardless... Where is his wax coming off? I haven't had any exterior body panels getting hot back there...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-16, 04:05 AM   #509
ben_der

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I don't exactly know where he had the issues specifically. Like I said, had just spoken to him on the Phone and haven't had time to check out his car in person.

That's why I was wondering if you have experienced any drawbacks in terms of heat.

Well, the titanium tip on my HKS Muffler changed colors to gold/blue by itself tracking the car on the Hockenheimring. So there is quite some heat back there too. But without covering the exhaust system completly, like you did, I too doubt it will cause any big trouble.

If I find anything out, I'll let you know

Last edited by ben_der; 05-02-16 at 04:17 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-02-16, 04:10 AM   #510
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Ok I gotcha. Most of the length of my exhaust is still actually partially exposed, but it did all change colors after my track day last year

I really want to ceramic coat the axle-back to keep that heat in and away from the rear diff, but dont know how to do that without being "straight piped" in the meantime... lol

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement