GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 43 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 11-05-15, 09:27 AM   #421
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 4 (rear diffuser)

so I have got a strange clunk coming from, what sound like, the front right suspension/wheel area. It only happens when turning right, it only happens if its a harder turn, and I think it only happens under power (although that could be wrong).

I just crawled under the car again, during lunch all the bolts seem to be tight, nothing is loose or moveable (by hand) there are no visible signs of any scraping/things touching/movement...

It kinda sounds like something hitting sheet metal (fender) but the fender is clean/dent free/etc.

I suppose it could be the CV joint, but it doesn't sound anything like the CV joint noise I'm used to hearing... The axel nut appeared to be tight, the pinch was still in the slot.

Brakes arent loose or anything. It could be one of the bushings I guess, but nothing is moving when I push on it (although I guess that doesnt eliminate that possibility since its only hard turns that produce the noise...).

I'm really at a loss for what to look at next...

any suggestions?

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-15, 10:21 AM   #422
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

endlinks and swaybars?

Check the top nut on the strut as well, it might not make noise until it's unloaded/loaded.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-05-15, 10:37 AM   #423
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

I will check those, but Ive actually had both happen to me before and Im doubtful thats the source of the noise

Any other ideas?

After leafing through the multitude of "clunking" threads, the nut/bolt through the rear LCA joint (where my ALK is) could be loose...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-15, 12:43 PM   #424
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

I had the exact same thing and it ended up being an end link.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-11-15, 06:07 PM   #425
xirallicGDB-F
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: satin white pearl 07
Fav Mod: 2012 blue Sparco evo 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xirallicGDB-F is on a distinguished road

Welp, I had a similar issue. I thought it was a bad axle as I had a boot torn but it turned out to be a blown strut. I've had to have a strut rebuilt on numerous occasions now and am pretty in tune with the noise now. I hope it's something that's just loose but anything's possible.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-12-15, 05:07 AM   #426
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirallicGDB-F View Post
Welp, I had a similar issue. I thought it was a bad axle as I had a boot torn but it turned out to be a blown strut. I've had to have a strut rebuilt on numerous occasions now and am pretty in tune with the noise now. I hope it's something that's just loose but anything's possible.
its funny that you say that, because the strut in that corner is the only one that doesnt have a Feal Revalve... I had to replace the revalved one in a pinch and just put a used factory strut on there... I wonder if thats my issue.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-12-15, 06:06 AM   #427
xirallicGDB-F
Advanced Contributor Level 4

Car: satin white pearl 07
Fav Mod: 2012 blue Sparco evo 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xirallicGDB-F is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
its funny that you say that, because the strut in that corner is the only one that doesnt have a Feal Revalve... I had to replace the revalved one in a pinch and just put a used factory strut on there... I wonder if thats my issue.
If I we're a betting man...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-16-15, 11:25 AM   #428
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

i had been meaning to do something about that strut, in terms of getting a "matching" one installed, for about two years now. After this latest clunking, I figured I'd finally do it. I called Feal this morning, and they actually had two front cores in stock! Pretty sure they don't normally have ANY cores in stock, so that is awesome. I was going to just get the one, but Odi recommended I do all 4, or at least in pairs, so I'm getting a "new" set of front struts from them

I had wondered if it was possible that the noise was related to the engine mounts (which is unlikely) but this past week, I've noticed the engine shaking a bit more on startup and making some clunks like the engine is shifting/bouncing on startup... So I ordered some Group N engine mounts and a Kartboy Pitchstop I was going to go with the Group N Pitchstop but apparently its not really a worthwhile upgrade.

Between the two, of these, i better not have any more unwanted noises up front...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-23-15, 04:58 AM   #429
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

A lot of news!

Installed Group N engine mounts and a Kartboy Pitchstop. Things are much firmer/connected, which is great, but man those engine mounts are noisy! Pitchstop made basically no NVH difference though.

I have been plauged with coolant leak issues with my upper/lower radiator hoses on and off for the past year or two, so I bought some Mishimoto T-bolt clamps thinking that was the solution. Little did I know that T-bolts don't work well in smaller sizes. I had dropped the car off at the shop to do the engine mounts because I didnt want to mess with them and asked them to swap out the T-bolt while they were there. They found my water pump discharge elbow had corrosion/pitting so they replaced that. In the process they found the timing cover was loose and missing bolts. So they pulled that apart to fix, and found my timing belt tensioner and one or two pulleys needing to be replaced, and potentially never were (even though I paid the dealer to do that...). And my timing belt was off a tooth on one of the cam gears.

I'm glad they found all that, but the cost of my "little" trip to the shop was now quadrupled...

Now back to the fun stuff.

I pulled the rear diffuser off and the "phase 3" panels to trim about an inch off the right side. Ever since Ben noticed it wasn't even, it has been driving me nuts! It's not perfectly even, but now its much closer and not noticeable. I also hit the two end-fences with some black spray paint so they don't look so crazy driving down the road.

I still need to cut the two middle strakes and get everything welded up...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-23-15, 11:53 AM   #430
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Heres a couple of pics of this weekends work. Its harder to see the end-fences now that they are black

I'm not sure if you can tell or not, but the width of each side is MUCH more even now. I think I might not have been directly behind the center of the car though, as it still looks a little skewed in this pic though...

I still need to cut out those middle strakes. One of these days.... lol

Last edited by BlueScooby; 08-03-17 at 09:45 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement