GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 40 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 10-20-15, 09:31 AM   #391
xirallicGDB-F
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: satin white pearl 07
Fav Mod: 2012 blue Sparco evo 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

xirallicGDB-F is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Underbody Panels Phase 4 (rear diffuser)

Sounds good man. I'm interested to see what you come up with. I'll post a pic for you when I get my solution sorted. Keep up the good work!
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-15, 06:38 AM   #392
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Spent a little more time on the diffuser this weekend. Decided to change up the plans a little bit. Initially I was going to have the entire rear bumper covered by diffuser (as shown in previous pictures) but I realized this was not ideal. Having the diffuser stretch over behind the wheel was going to catch high pressure air off the rear wheels and that's not what I want.

So I decided to cut the ends of the diffuser flush with the width of the phase 3 panels which makes a lot more sense. Next I started working on the end-fences to block out that high pressure air around the wheels and such. I got the driver's side one pretty much taken care of. I'm going to try to do more inside the wheel-well further forward as well, but I didn't get that far.

I went ahead and removed the rear mudflaps as well. They aren't really doing anything besides creating drag on the roadways anyhow. Front mudflaps will remain for the sake of the paint down the sides of the car.

Once I'm finished with the other end fence I'm going to head off to see a friend with a welder to stitch all these seams together permanently

Also went karting with the local subie club this weekend. I may have won the pole in both races

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06

Last edited by BlueScooby; 08-03-17 at 09:17 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 10-27-15, 07:31 AM   #393
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Looks sick already
Makes sense with the hot air getting trapped, good thinking!

Congrats on winning the races
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-15, 10:57 AM   #394
xirallicGDB-F

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Well done! That's the way I plan on going when I make mine. I think I'm going to chop the rear bumper to the line that runs around, remove the sheet metal in the wheel well up to that point and make a flat bottom for the bumper underneath that meets the unibody to vent the rear wells.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-27-15, 11:09 AM   #395
xirallicGDB-F

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kind of hard to see but this is my inspiration:

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-27-15, 11:35 AM   #396
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirallicGDB-F View Post
Well done! That's the way I plan on going when I make mine. I think I'm going to chop the rear bumper to the line that runs around, remove the sheet metal in the wheel well up to that point and make a flat bottom for the bumper underneath that meets the unibody to vent the rear wells.
Quote:
Kind of hard to see but this is my inspiration:

Image Link
man that car is low! I wonder if they changed the suspensoin geometry/pickup points or if they just did body work on a slammed car...

I like the idea, although I wouldn't want to make a cut that big on a DD like mine... If it was a pure track car, I'd do it I have this internal battle with wanting a low-key DD, but wanting to do all the race-car aero stuff that attracts a ton of attention (for the function, not the attention), and its pretty much impossible to do both. haha

I wouldn't cut anything out of the middle part of the bumper though. Reason being, even with the bumper uncut and my diffuser ending an inch or two below that, the angle on it is still borderline to steep... Notice how the diffuser on that car doesn't come up that high (although that's probably more of a regulation issue than a design constraint).

On a road car 10-12 degrees is really about the max you want to run without having a lot of wing above to allow for higher angles (7-10 is normally recommended). You can do higher angles, but you start running into flow separating, less downforce generation, and downforce/drag efficiency dropping. I'm at about 14 degrees now which, hopefully with the rear wing, isn't far off of ideal. Even if it is, the difference will be minimal since downforce only tapers off with increased angle.

When I'm done with the diffuser and its all welded up, I'm probably going to get it powder coated flat black so people don't notice it as easily

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-27-15, 05:19 PM   #397
xirallicGDB-F

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm fairly certain there's not a lot stock about the gt cars There's no way they could affectively be that low with the stock geometry.

As for the line that I want to cut from, i'm referring to the lower not the upper part of the bumper like the cusco race car. It won't be too dramatic and if it is.. whatever. The front end will already be wild enough (i'll share with you when its done). Also, not to stray too far off track but I found a 3" naca that will fit in the fender so I'll also let ya know what my iat's are once it's fit.

Thanks for the info though. I certainly need to do my research on the technical side of things before I get into splitter and diffuser fabrication. I'll likely wind up with an apr 300 wing with singular endplates and I'd like to brace from the inside of the trunk to better utilize it. Lots to still learn about the black art of aero .

Last edited by xirallicGDB-F; 10-27-15 at 05:27 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-15, 04:06 AM   #398
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
I'm fairly certain there's not a lot stock about the gt cars There's no way they could affectively be that low with the stock geometry.

As for the line that I want to cut from, i'm referring to the lower not the upper part of the bumper like the cusco race car. It won't be too dramatic and if it is.. whatever. The front end will already be wild enough (i'll share with you when its done). Also, not to stray too far off track but I found a 3" naca that will fit in the fender so I'll also let ya know what my iat's are once it's fit.

Thanks for the info though. I certainly need to do my research on the technical side of things before I get into splitter and diffuser fabrication. I'll likely wind up with an apr 300 wing with singular endplates and I'd like to brace from the inside of the trunk to better utilize it. Lots to still learn about the black art of aero .
Sounds awesome, I can't wait to see some pics

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-15, 04:20 AM   #399
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

So I found myself in the garage last night for a bit. Found out that 1) I have a coolant leak from the thermostat housing gasket, and 2) my passenger front axel has a torn boot and no grease which might explain the noises I've been hearing occasionally...

After deciding to do nothing about those last night (since it was already late), i decided to spend a few minutes on some of the minor aero improvements I want to add.

First off, I added a flexible foam "garage door" gasket to the bottom of the front bumper. I would've taken a pic of it back on the car for better perspective, but I didn't put it back on yet...

Then I added some some rubber the the rear wheel air deflector thingys. The material for this one is from commercial floor molding that goes over carpet. I just cut it up to fit and riveted it on.

While I had the car up, I noticed something interesting. There was some neat "water patterns" under the car. Yesterday it was raining all day so the car was soaked. By time I got under the car last night it was partially drying off. The interesting bit is where the water was under the car. Under the majority of the front part of the car, it was all DRY. But the "phase 3" panels and the rear diffuser were still SOAKED. The drivers side had much more water on it than the passenger side, and that is the side that has the end fence installed on the diffuser. Even though the diffuser still has a lot of work left, and will increase in efficiency from were it is, the water pattern seems to suggest that it is all working! This is probably about as close to a wind tunnel as I will ever see...

If you look close you can see the rear panels are wet and the front are dry

Last edited by BlueScooby; 08-03-17 at 09:23 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 10-28-15, 06:33 AM   #400
SubySal
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Fav Mod: everything done so far
My Subaru Parts for sale

SubySal has a spectacular aura aboutSubySal has a spectacular aura about

If you wanted to check performance you could always tape or hot glue small lengths of string/yarn under the car then affix a hero cam under there. That will probably give you a good idea of how the air is flowing over the panels.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement