GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 3 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 07-18-13, 10:22 AM   #21
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default BlueScooby's 06 STI

I've seen those fender braces for sale a few times, what do the really do?

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-13, 01:20 PM   #22
MrRichter
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC Fender Braces
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

MrRichter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

I tried explaining it in my own words but here's what TiC says:

"Tie the lower a-pillar frame member to the upper front frame member for triangulation of the junction between to two to make it stronger. There are braces there in the stock config, but those are stamped steel, and about as strong as a wet noodle. Ours are much stiffer. Stiffer is better!! Seriously, people who have installed them have been amazed at what a drastic change such a small part can make. Instead of making your car's frame act like a spring let your spring act like a spring. Afterall, that's what it's supposed to do."
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-18-13, 01:24 PM   #23
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default BlueScooby's 06 STI

Oh ok. What did you notice after installing them on your car?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-13, 01:28 PM   #24
MrRichter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

Less chassis roll in turns, a more responsive front end, and less overall creaking and odd noises from the chassis. Definitely well worth it, under $100 bucks and the install is fairly straight forward.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 07-22-13, 07:50 AM   #25
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 7/20/13 AutoX Results

So I had a pretty good time at the Auto-X this weekend. Got to meet some cool people, and couple IWSTIers. I feel like I did a lot better than last year with the new suspension, but I managed to botch the last corner on 4 out of 5 runs You'll notice near the end of some of these videos that you hear/see shuddering as I'm under-steering wide on the last big right-hander before the course exit. I kept wanting to take too much speed through that corner and just pushed wide each time...

Just as a side note, I was not “launching” very aggressively. After having to replace my clutch at just 100,000 miles (my own fault), I was not willing to risk a full on launch. I probably could’ve gotten a second better, or more, from a well executed launch, but it wasn’t worth it since I was just there for some fun.

First Run
Second Run
Third Run
Fourth Run

Due to forgetting to turn off the video after the fourth run, I mistakenly turn the camera off, instead of on, right before the fifth run, so I have no video for that one, but you're not missing much.

Last edited by BlueScooby; 02-26-14 at 05:31 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-04-13, 05:32 PM   #26
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 8/4/13 Brake Duct/Ram Intake

So I decided to play with the idea of a brake duct setup, but seeing as thats not very relevant for street driving, I decided to build what could become a brake duct, but is used as a "Ram" intake on the road. I do not have the factory air box, so my short-ram intake is just sucking up hot engine-bay air... Now it would've been a good idea to record some intake temperatures before and after to see the effectiveness... but I missed that boat. I may try to find out a little later though (by blocking off the ram air for a control temp).

First I picked up some super cheap, painted, fog-light surrounds on ebay (they are not OEM, but they are darn close), then I went to Lowes for the rest.

I picked up a piping reducer to attach to the fog surround, some JB Weld, a aluminum flexible duct (I was actually looking for a vinyl fabric one...), some window screen material and a piping "pitch pocket" (which i did not need).

Supplies:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-materials-jpg

Test-Fit the reducer/piping/screen material:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-throughshot-jpg

JB Welding the fog surround and the reducer. NOTE, I removed the piping and mesh for this part. After mixing up a ton of JB Weld and liberally applying it, the reducer kept trying to slip off, so I had to hold it on for a good 20 minutes, until i could manage to stack a ton of crap on it while i cured...
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-jbweld-jpg

Fully Assembled:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-finished1-jpg
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-finished2-jpg

Installed:
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-bumper-jpg
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis-underhood-jpg

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-07-13, 05:55 PM   #27
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - wheel spacers ordered

so i just ordered some custom wheel spacer (adapters) from wheeladapter.com. I tried the Ichiba V2 spacers but I was not satisfied with them. Fred at wheeladapter.com custom machines every set, and they are not much more than a set of Perrin or Ichiba spacers (new). I'm really excited for these to come in, and will post some before and after pictures.

FYI, they are 25mm adapters (smallest that will fit on GD without grinding lugs). Perfect offset for flush wheels anyway. Now to see about some mudflaps to keep rocks from raking all the paint of the side of my car...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-07-13, 06:00 PM   #28
MrRichter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Are you running the adapters with your stock wheels or did you pick up another set?

I have 5x100 to 5x114.3 adapters to run my STi BBS wheels on my WRX. I definitely needed my fenders rolled on stock suspension (installed on my 2.5i before I traded it away for the WRX). I haven't had a chance to run the BBS on my WRX, it'll be interesting to see how well the wheels fit on coilovers.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-07-13, 06:06 PM   #29
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - wheel spacers ordered

yeah, i'm using the stock wheels. I have not needed to roll/cut my fenders at all, but I'm pretty close. Ive just barely got enough room for the wheels to tuck into the fender a little under suspension compression. If I was any lower, I'm sure I would need to roll/cut the fenders, but I'm only running JDM pinks (and lowering camper plates in the front), so I'm low, but not slammed... I'll take some close-ups to show you when this set comes in.

Last edited by BlueScooby; 02-26-14 at 05:32 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-07-13, 06:19 PM   #30
MrRichter

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm waiting on another set of lug nuts to get here since the previous owner replaced the stock lugs with aftermarket lugs that stick out too much to run with the adapters. I'm really curious to see how well they will fit or if I will have to get narrower adapters.

Looking forward to your pics. I've seen a few other WRX's and STi's with 25mm spacers and it looks really good, definitely should have been that way from the factory.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement