GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 28 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 06-09-15, 07:38 AM   #271
CSO
Advanced Contributor Level 4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

CSO is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI

Nice read
Nice car

I see you are in Cary... I have been driving around Cary and have seen ZERO WRX's or STI's

Is there just not that many in our area?
I am in NYC now but will be down permanently at end of the month.
I will be close to the Crossroads shopping center.

If you start seeing a 2015 STI with a loud TBE that would be me

Hope to see you around
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-15, 07:44 AM   #272
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!

Its funny you say that because I see them all the time... lol

Check out the Triangle Subaru Owners Club on Facebook. All the local guys are on there and they meet up every sunday to hang out and get lunch and stuff. Its a pretty good group

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-09-15, 09:43 AM   #273
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Back to the idea of reduced drag by covering the lower radiator opening�

So on the way to the beach yesterday, I decided to put my idea into action and see what happened. I put painters tape over the lower radiator opening (which matched the WRB much better than I expected�lol) and got on the hwy. I monitored oil/coolant temp very closely the entire trip for signs of trouble. Oil temp ran a little warmer (as expected) and coolant didn�t budge on the stock gauge. Usually I�m in the 210-215F range for oil temp on the highway (although this is the first summer since having the gauge) and I was cruising at 220F mostly, with the reduced airflow through the radiator, and occasionally almost up to 225F. This includes some of the driving around town as well, so this was not relying on the high airflow of the highway to maintain temperature.

All that to say, that oil and coolant temps were able to handle the reduced airflow for regular driving, just as I had speculated. And now for the good part, when we got here I filled up and calculated about 1.5 mpg better than I normally get!

I know that�s no huge gain, but its enough for me confirm what I thought, and to come up with more permanent type (removable) solution for covering the lower radiator opening. I would only put it on for road trips, since that�s the only time it would make much difference, but I think it�s a neat concept.

Testing stuff and finding it works is a lot of fun for me

Last edited by BlueScooby; 08-02-17 at 05:56 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-15, 07:40 PM   #274
jsnontuono
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jsnontuono is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
Back to the idea of reduced drag by covering the lower radiator opening

So on the way to the beach yesterday, I decided to put my idea into action and see what happened. I put painters tape over the lower radiator opening (which matched the WRB much better than I expectedlol) and got on the hwy. I monitored oil/coolant temp very closely the entire trip for signs of trouble. Oil temp ran a little warmer (as expected) and coolant didnt budge on the stock gauge. Usually Im in the 210-215F range for oil temp on the highway (although this is the first summer since having the gauge) and I was cruising at 220F mostly, with the reduced airflow through the radiator, and occasionally almost up to 225F. This includes some of the driving around town as well, so this was not relying on the high airflow of the highway to maintain temperature.

All that to say, that oil and coolant temps were able to handle the reduced airflow for regular driving, just as I had speculated. And now for the good part, when we got here I filled up and calculated about 1.5 mpg better than I normally get!

I know thats no huge gain, but its enough for me confirm what I thought, and to come up with more permanent type (removable) solution for covering the lower radiator opening. I would only put it on for road trips, since thats the only time it would make much difference, but I think its a neat concept.

Testing stuff and finding it works is a lot of fun for me

ive heard this will also provide you the benefit of a higher speed (though you will likely loose gas mileage doing top speed runs. Im also pretty sure the increase in insurance will offset any other cost savings you can manage to find.

Ive heard trying to close up the front end is a common thing for people doing top speed runs. While your at it, I am interested to know if you can find any benefit from taping off the hood to fender seems as well as the gaps in the lights or other areas on your car that can create drag/turbulence
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-11-15, 07:43 AM   #275
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

What do you mean by increase in insurance?

Yeah, im sure this would benefit top speed, but I doubt I would comfortable closing off part of the radiator for a high engine load situation like that...

I should investigate those other gaps like you mentioned, but Im afraid the gains will be small and hard to measure... A wind tunnel would be sweet to test all this in.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-11-15, 07:53 AM   #276
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

plug in your AP and check actual coolant temps, the stock gauge is not accurate.

Cold, kinda cold, ok, hot, too hot are the only 5 options on the stock gauge. lol.

i'm guessing the insurance comment was a joke about speeding tickets.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-11-15, 08:01 AM   #277
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

lol, that's probably right.

I was considering monitoring the actual coolant temp, but my assumption was if coolant temp is substantially rising that oil temps would mirror that... Considering oil temps were very consistent (and not elevated more than a few degrees) and I was not driving hard, Im pretty confident the coolant temps were in check. Although next time I test this I'll probably plug in the AP anyway just to be sure.

I wish OEMs would put in coolant gauges that did more than show when you are already too hot. it can't possibly cost that much more...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-11-15, 08:07 AM   #278
T3h_Clap
I Solve Problems
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Fav Mod: TiC SST's and Vorshlag Plates
My Subaru Parts for sale

T3h_Clap will become famous soon enoughT3h_Clap will become famous soon enough

people don't like to see fluctuation. They like seeing "rock solid water temps".

ignorance is bliss.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-11-15, 04:23 PM   #279
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

^A sad truth...

In other news, I am now kinda confused. I expected my mpg to drop on the way back from the beach since I didn't have to radiator blocked off anymore. Instead I got the highest mpg Ive ever seen from cruising at 80-85 with the A/C on! I got 25.6mpg on the way back when 21-22 is average for the speed I was doing...

I have some speculation about this, but long story short, I think there were some circumstances that invalidated my test... I also think I may have stumbled across a ethanol-free gas station before leaving. Thats the only reason I can see my mileage jumping up so high on the return trip.

But, I still think the principle is valid for blocking off the radiator. Blocking it off will also be useful for warming the engine in the winter which is cool.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-11-15, 06:47 PM   #280
jsnontuono
Becoming An Advanced Contributor

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jsnontuono is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What do you mean by increase in insurance?
I was referring to a hike in insurance after getting speeding tickets for doing a max speed run on public roads. I work midnights. Half of what I say is confusing even to myself when I get no sleep.

Quote:
Yeah, im sure this would benefit top speed, but I doubt I would comfortable closing off part of the radiator for a high engine load situation like that...
I think with top speed runs the distance ran normally is 1 to 2 miles. The heat buildup im sure in that short period of time is relatively minimal and once they stop they go ripping off or finding other ways to get the engine cool. Im also guessing on this part as I have never done or known anyone that has actually done it.

Quote:
I should investigate those other gaps like you mentioned, but Im afraid the gains will be small and hard to measure... A wind tunnel would be sweet to test all this in.
Agreed on the minimal gains especially when you have a big hood scoop on the hood. Im just curious if it would make that much of a difference. If we didnt have the hood scoop, and closed off the rest of the hood as well as gave the air passing though the radiator a clear path out with no places to build up, I wonder how much more efficient a car could get.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement