GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 17 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 10-11-14, 03:15 AM   #161
LuvMyBlueSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: WRBlue 10 STi
Fav Mod: Ankle Twitch Enhancer
My Subaru Parts for sale

LuvMyBlueSTI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Tire Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
Ha, i love that gif!
It's early and I'm not fully awake yet, but I just watched it lap about 400 times and now when I watch it, my addled brain thinks it can hear the audio.

I'm approaching one year on the DWS and am happier than expected. They howl and chirp when pushed on dry corners but transition fairly predictably. I had to drive in horrible conditions in the mountains last winter and they handled snow and ice like a champ. Yesterday I was up Coal Creek Canyon and burned the switchbacks while wet - I did a total of ten laps up and down to see how they would handle when pushed to the point of breaking loose. They did great. I think I'll run the DWS's until spring then get some new wheels and some summer stickies, then toss the DWS's back on in November.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-14, 03:49 AM   #162
jsnontuono
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jsnontuono is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
Youre probably confusing their summer tire the DW with the all season DWS. The DWS has a 50k mile warranty compared with the 30k you get with the MPSS
Nope. The DWS is one of the favored autocross tire of choice for wet. I had read a few different people post that the DWS was showing signs of wear before the MPSS started showing signs of wear.

I do find what people say with this hard to believe with any tire comparison. I think its extremely subjective. Most people will misremember what they felt at the beginning of one tire compared to the beginning of a second.

As far as my MPSS, I have 5766 miles on the tires as of last night. Visually they look perfectly fine. Driving is mostly interstate. I do throw it around when I see a corner. I have also done 1 ax and will have the car in the mnts this weekend. Sorry not much to base the actual mileage on.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-14-14, 07:22 AM   #163
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnontuono View Post
Nope. The DWS is one of the favored autocross tire of choice for wet. I had read a few different people post that the DWS was showing signs of wear before the MPSS started showing signs of wear.

I do find what people say with this hard to believe with any tire comparison. I think its extremely subjective. Most people will misremember what they felt at the beginning of one tire compared to the beginning of a second.

As far as my MPSS, I have 5766 miles on the tires as of last night. Visually they look perfectly fine. Driving is mostly interstate. I do throw it around when I see a corner. I have also done 1 ax and will have the car in the mnts this weekend. Sorry not much to base the actual mileage on.
Yeah, that is really odd... but even if they somehow do bleed off in ~20K miles, I'll get my next set with a big pro-rate

The MPSS i had on my old stockers had about 18K on them when I sold them off and they still had 3-4/32s left of tread. I estimate that they would've gone until about ~25K when would replace them. I'm sure my current set will be about the same.

Contemplating putting on a set of DWS for this winter and letting the MPSS sit in the garage until summer time...

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-14, 03:47 AM   #164
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Twisting Chassis?

So, I've got an interesting question.

On the way to work this morning, I turned left onto a 2-lane on-ramp, which merges to 1-lane, so I hit it hard to get in front. The on-ramp has a bit of a left bend to it for the first half (not anything like a round-about). Well I went to shift into third from second right before red line, and I couldn't get into third... I ended up shifting to 4th or 5th and got on the highway. I tried to replicate that on the next road off the highway (bends to the right about the same as the on-ramp bends to the left), hit the gas hard, shifted into third right before red line again, and had no issues...

My thoughts are, perhaps the chassis twisted a little? Or maybe the transmission wasn't up to temp yet (engine oil was nearly 200F) so shifting near red line didn't have the snycros lining up?

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I replaced all of the shifter bushings with the TIC/Kartboy bushings...

ALSO, perhaps the transmission is shifting a little? Maybe this means I need to upgrade the transmission mounts?

Thoughts?

Last edited by BlueScooby; 10-15-14 at 03:52 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-14, 04:04 AM   #165
LuvMyBlueSTI
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Car: WRBlue 10 STi
Fav Mod: Ankle Twitch Enhancer
My Subaru Parts for sale

LuvMyBlueSTI is on a distinguished road

I've had the same thing happen a handful of times. It's as if the linkage has a dead end. I assume it's user error on my part when trying to shift fast. If I let it "release" into the neutral area below 3rd, then go straight up into 3rd, it doesn't happen. It just happens when I try to move quickly through that neutral area. I have not yet upgraded bushings around the transmission and am hoping that it will help. Winter project for me!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-14, 04:52 AM   #166
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this... I kinda scared me, like WTF is wrong with my transmission???

I'm going to look around a bit and see if I can find anyone else having the same issues...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-14, 04:54 AM   #167
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

I always assumed user error. Has happened to me in Vettes and other vehicles as well.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-14, 05:43 AM   #168
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
I always assumed user error. Has happened to me in Vettes and other vehicles as well.
Thats what I thought as well, the first time. This morning, I had the clutch all the way down, and there was no grinding... It seemed as if I was hung up on the gate. I tried to replicate the "hangup" in the parking lot sitting still, but found it impossible... it just slid into gear like butter every time.

Looks like some others are having similar issues. It has been suggested in other threads that upgraded mounts (less engine/trans movement) helps.

I just called the shop to ask about it, and he told me that the transmission shouldn't be able to shift enough to make any difference shifting, which throws out the upgraded mounts idea... So I'm back to snycros (no grinding, so I'm doubtful on that) or some shifting/er detent ball thing? I'm not really sure what that is or if I'm even calling it the right thing.

I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. I might still consider group-N engine/trans mounts anyway... (why not? )

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-14, 06:02 AM   #169
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

I've got group N trans and engine mounts and yes they made a slight difference in shift feel, but the biggest difference I noticed in shift feel came after I finally installed the Kart boy pitch stop. Shifts were much crisper and I thought after adding the Cobb SS and all of the shifter bushings that the "feel" was on point. But no, adding the pitch stop was like icing on the shift cake. lol

Not discounting that there might be an issue with the synchro's.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 10-15-14, 11:21 PM   #170
jsnontuono
Becoming An Advanced Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

jsnontuono is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont forget that mounts do wear out. I have the same problem with my miata. and have done it ones in my STI. when you feel it again, try taking the stick back to neutral and then pushing into 3rd. This usually helps me get into the next gear. the local to us race shop that works on miata's told me I was experiencing the tranny rolling to the side just enough to make things not line up. That being said, i know STI != miata... so maybe its something different but I figured it was one in the same.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement