GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 114 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 12-04-18, 09:17 AM   #1131
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Redoing the underbody and diffuser. again.

The Oswald brace is definitely the best one IMO. The carlabs one doesn't connect the shock towers laterally which looks like a potential weakness.

Its funny you say that now, I just got in the revised brackets or the rear towers. I'll upload a pic of them so you can see what he did.

I would think you could email him and have him send you a modified set in your order instead of the basic ones.

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-18, 06:00 PM   #1132
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

New on the left, old on the right.
1 5/8" clear under the bracket to clear the top of the strut and the RDC cable

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-05-18, 01:05 AM   #1133
TBAG
Advanced Mastery Level II
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB Bugeye STI
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Subaru Parts for sale

TBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud ofTBAG has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
The Oswald brace is definitely the best one IMO. The carlabs one doesn't connect the shock towers laterally which looks like a potential weakness.

Its funny you say that now, I just got in the revised brackets or the rear towers. I'll upload a pic of them so you can see what he did.

I would think you could email him and have him send you a modified set in your order instead of the basic ones.
I Installed Oswald brace plus Beatrush floor braces together. They made a huge difference on how the car felt and also reduced understeer too.

I am still running his front and rear braces both.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-18, 10:31 AM   #1134
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Ladies and gentlemen, the level of "nerd" in here is about to go WAY UP.

I finally got to play with Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk CFD and I came up with some results!

Now first off, these are SUPER simplified models. I took the profile outline of the car and traced it out (its a square from the front ). This is very rudimentary and should be taken with a grain of salt... The pictures below, however, are a slice taken from the center of the car, so its shape is hopefully close enough.

I ran (3) different setups. Stock STI (although with a completely flat floor because it'd be too hard to draw otherwise, so actual drag/lift would be a little worse), Stock height STI with a front lip and rear diffuser, and a lowered (with 1 degree of rake) STI with front lip and diffuser.

Stock:

Stock with added front lip and diffuser:

Lowered (w/ 1 degree rake) with front lip and diffuser:

Now the graphics of the airflow are neat to look at, but there is one particular piece of data I want to focus on here: "TOTAL FY, xx.xxxx, lbf" on the lower left of each picture. Stock shows 74.7lb of lift. Addition of the diffuser and front lip lowers the total lift down to 67.8lb. Lowering the car next makes a huge improvement however, now having a total of (-)7.9lb of lift. In other words, the car went from positive lift, to negative lift (DOWNFORCE)! It may not be much, but I think its pretty stellar either way.

I would like to refine the models further and potentially get a closer representation of what my car is actually doing, but this is an encouraging start.

OH, and check out that green, relatively "high speed", airflow coming up out of the diffuser in the last scenario! No airflow separation there!

Likes 3 Dislikes 0

Old 12-14-18, 04:01 AM   #1135
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - A little CFD Analysis on the car ;)

man yall are a tough crowd...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-18, 12:22 PM   #1136
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

And now back to your regularly scheduled program...

Got the modified strut tower brackets installed. I apparently didn't measure quite accurate enough, because I still had to add a washer to each stud for it to fit If anyone is requesting the same modification on their brackets, use 1.75"-clear for the dimension under the raised leg.

At least Ive got it all back together and complete now.

You can see here that I've JUST got the clearance for the RDC system.

Glad to finally have my rear brace back together and functional

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-19-18, 01:12 PM   #1137
JeremySmith220
Developing Advanced Mastery

Fav Mod: Borg Warner EFR7670
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

JeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of lightJeremySmith220 is a glorious beacon of light
Default BlueScooby's 06 STI - A little CFD Analysis on the car ;)

Looking good!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-20-18, 09:26 PM   #1138
blurred
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Fav Mod: GTX2867R
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

blurred will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
man yall are a tough crowd...
That cfd, what speed is it at (and did you caluclate various speeds) and can it calculate cornering or is this only to simulate braking/straight line performance, and in that case should you add rake?

Does it differentiate between each axle?

Old 12-21-18, 03:24 AM   #1139
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred View Post
That cfd, what speed is it at (and did you caluclate various speeds) and can it calculate cornering or is this only to simulate braking/straight line performance, and in that case should you add rake?

Does it differentiate between each axle?
This was me starting to learn the program so its not very in depth...

I picked 80mph as the speed (arbitrarily) in hopes that it would be fast enough for aero effects to start being noticeable. 60MPH seemed like a more common bench mark (based on next-to-no-research... haha) but I was worried that might not be fast enough. Also 80 is a seemingly better option for "highway speeds" than 60, if we're being real. This was the only speed I tested as I was looking for differences between car profiles not defining the actual performance of one.

This is an "at speed" model in a straight line. I'm not sure if this program has the capability to do an "accelerating" (speed up/slow down/turn) analysis. The way I understand its usage (at least my usage so far) is that you are looking at a particular snap shot in time, and the computer does several iterations of calculations to define the airflow at that point.

I probably could differentiate between axles, if I can figure out how to add spot load areas of interest. That seems probable...

One side note, after completing what I showed above, I was looking around online and found that I can simulate the ground "moving" to get a more realistic model. I hadn't even thought about that, but without it, its like the ground is traveling with the car and proving drag against the air under the car... You can apparently also make the wheels spin, but I think the results of that are going to be far less drastic than the ground moving at speed with the air.

Do you have any experience with CFD? I'm not sure if you're asking out of curiosity or out of expertise. I'd love to learn more if you know some stuff

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 12-26-18, 04:04 AM   #1140
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Hope everyone is having a good holiday season! (Its back to work for this guy...)

Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement