GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis - Page 101 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: BlueScooby's 06 STI - 03/16/19 Track Day Synopsis

Old 01-03-18, 11:03 AM   #1001
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody Completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Boostit2 View Post
How much does it weigh?
I just realized you quoted an earlier post...

I'm not sure how much all the underbody weighs exactly. But based on using probably 2/3 - 3/4 of two 4'x8' sheets of 16 gauge aluminum, I estimate the weight at 30lbs roughly. But thats for all the panels downstream of the beat rush undertray. If you're asking about just the diffuser, its probably around 10lbs.

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-18, 01:26 PM   #1002
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Diffuser/Underbody Completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
I just realized you quoted an earlier post...

I'm not sure how much all the underbody weighs exactly. But based on using probably 2/3 - 3/4 of two 4'x8' sheets of 16 gauge aluminum, I estimate the weight at 30lbs roughly. But thats for all the panels downstream of the beat rush undertray. If you're asking about just the diffuser, its probably around 10lbs.
The diffuser weight was the number and thanks it looks great.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-05-18, 09:05 AM   #1003
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BlueScooby's 06 STI - Looking around at rear wing options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick411 View Post
WRC style wing to match the overhang as well as flare/wide body?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
Since this comment, I have been thinking about the OEM wing in the back and what kind of "options" I have back there. I'm not interested in going full on race wing, so I'd like to to be relatively stock-ish looking.

The first obvious option, is the beautiful WRC wing that was on the Hawkeye and Blob eye with all the strakes in the middle. However after looking around, that wing is HIGH downforce wing, which is optimized to produce lots of downforce at around 60mph (closer to rally speeds which are typically much slower than road course speeds). According to to one of the subaru drivers (maybe Ken Block?) this wing produced too much downforce at highway and up speeds. But after looking closely at the profile of the "real" WRC wing, it is actually a VERY aggressive wing profile. So this seems a reasonable conclusion.

Next I thought about the previous generation of that wing back on the bugeye that didnt have the strakes but still protruded further back about 6 inches like the one above. The strakes were due to the rally car going sideways a lot anyway, so loosing them isn't bad for a road course. But then I realized both of these wings mean sacrificing my 3rd brake light, which is not something I want to do on my daily.

So I'm mostly left with the likes of the Syms wing which actually attaches to the OEM wing base but still has a slightly more raked, and slightly more aggressive wing profile to it.

This would improve the wing function, have it tilted further back to lessen the difference to the diffuser overhang, retain the OEM 3rd brake light, and still look fairly stock-ish.

So I think thats the winnerwinnerchickendinner. But I can only find one or two places even selling them and the FRP replica is still like $800 Which makes all of this sort of a moot conversation since I don't plan to spend that much on a wing anyway... Unless I can spot a deal on a used one somewhere

What do you think? Any other good ones I should consider, or am I just wasting my time entirely?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-18, 01:31 PM   #1004
Nick411
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: WRB 02 WRX
Fav Mod: Built EJ207
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Nick411 is on a distinguished road

Oh lord what have I done?

I was kinda half kidding with that but the reason I mentioned the WRC style wing was because of the extra overhang it provides. If it doesn't stick out past the bumper or at the same distance of the bumper I don't really see much point in getting another wing as the overhang was the whole idea.

And yeah the WRC wings produce absurd amounts of downforce. I think it was Petter Solberg (don't quote me on that lol) that commented once that when he lost it from an off during a stage that the back end lost almost all of it's grip and they almost nose dived off a jump because the wing wasn't there to keep the back end down when the car was in the air to counteract the front biased weight of the car. But it gets it's downforce with a huge drag penalty so it will have a massive affect on your gas mileage. Which would counter act one of the benefits of your flat under body.

If you have the money they are an awesome wing for time attack or road race cars that run on relatively small tracks where your corner speed is everything.

Garrett boosted & "massaged" EJ207 - 383whp/279wtq
"If you're not learning you're doing something wrong"
- Myself
@theflaredbugeye
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-05-18, 02:16 PM   #1005
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Default BlueScooby's 06 STI - Looking around at rear wing options

Yeah, the previous WRC wing( no strakes design), which has much less downforce, would be a better fit for me for sure. I just dont know if I could find one, or how hard it would be to mount the 3rd light on it... But that one would definitely fit my use the best.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-06-18, 04:33 AM   #1006
Nick411
Silver Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

WRC Spares usually has a few of the S9-S12 (one with strakes) version in stock, but not sure about the S7/S8 (strakeless). But I'm sure they would be able to acquire one.

Body Panels WRC - Subaru WRC Spares Ltd

As for the third break light I'm pretty sure you can still see the one in the rear window just fine with the S7/S8 wing so I don't think you'll really need to put one in the wing

- Myself
@theflaredbugeye
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-06-18, 04:37 PM   #1007
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah Ive briefly perused that site before. Most of that is out of my price range... lol. But if they did have an S7/8 wing that would be cool.

I dont have the brake light in the cabin, which is why i was thinking of how hard it would be to dremel a hole to mount one...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-08-18, 09:18 PM   #1008
Nick411
Silver Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Ahh ok that makes sense. Probably wouldn't be hard to get a small LED one off ebay or a place like VLEDs or something and stick it in there. Doesn't even have to be that big, just bright enough to be visible as a brake light. Or maybe put one in the rear window? As long as it's visible it should count.

- Myself
@theflaredbugeye
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-13-18, 05:22 PM   #1009
Nick411
Silver Member

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

I knew I had seen something somewhere at some point as an option but couldn't remember where.....just happened to come across it again.

https://www.rpgcarbon.com/product-pa...y-wing-spoiler

Definitely in a reasonable price range and it looks like you shouldn't have an issue mounting a third brake light in there.

- Myself
@theflaredbugeye
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-15-18, 04:32 AM   #1010
BlueScooby
Silver Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick411 View Post
I knew I had seen something somewhere at some point as an option but couldn't remember where.....just happened to come across it again.

RPG Racing Product Group | RPG Carbon Fiberglass

Definitely in a reasonable price range and it looks like you shouldn't have an issue mounting a third brake light in there.
Thanks for the link! They are actually 1 of like 3 places I found this weekend where I could buy one (including japanparts). RPG and Rallytech (HERE) are the only two places I found selling "new" replicas. At the moment I'm more inclined towards the Rallytech one, it just seems better... Or at least they have better pictures. Rallytech also specifies that there are threaded inserts into the wing for OEM mounting, but RPG doesnt. In all honesty they are probably the same though... Out of curiosity does the "OEM" mounting change at all from 02-07? With my luck the holes are in the wrong places.

Japanparts is selling what appears to actually be a chargespeed (wrc replica) wing (HERE). Which I could buy new for extra monies, but screw that. The one thing I do like about the chargespeed wing is I can get the used one at around the same price but the actual airfoil is carbon fiber (so they say). I imagine a carbon airfoil would be more rigid than the fiberglass ones (like our OEM wing which vibrates on the highway).

I just wish there was more detailed pictures/better information on the airfoil shaping of each of these. The last thing I want is to buy one that doesn't work because the airfoil is shaped incorrectly. It would also be nice to know if these FRP replicas vibrate like the OEM wing, although I'm not sure if there is much I could do with that information...

Last edited by BlueScooby; 01-15-18 at 05:16 AM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement