GD: Function, Form & Balance - 5 Years In The Making... - Page 2 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Function, Form & Balance - 5 Years In The Making...
Function, Form & Balance - 5 Years In The Making...
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Function, Form & Balance - 5 Years In The Making...

Old 01-13-13, 01:20 AM   #11
bossdog
Advanced Contributor Level 3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: TWM Short Throw Shifter w/bushings
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bossdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Function, Form & Balance - 5 Years In The Making...

Nicely Done!
Looks like it was built to run, do you track it?
Based on my experienc you never get your $$ out of a build like this. I have considered selling my 2005 and starting over but I get too little for mine and it costs way too much to get a 2012 or 13 back to racing stage.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-13, 09:44 PM   #12
bzguy78
Advanced Contributor Level 1
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: SWP 11 STi,Evo 9
Fav Mod: Cobb Ap, Lathewerks knob, Greddy Sp elite
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bzguy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very nice indeed and real jdm parts you put on your car. Props on your effort! But with our cars, it is really a bad investment because we don't get back or even close to what we invested in it, time, effort and esp Money. I've experience that with my RSX type S too when I sold it, that's why I will try to hold on as much as I can on my GR and my Evo.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-16-13, 12:29 PM   #13
TheLastSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

TheLastSTI is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossdog View Post
Nicely Done!
Looks like it was built to run, do you track it?
Based on my experienc you never get your $$ out of a build like this. I have considered selling my 2005 and starting over but I get too little for mine and it costs way too much to get a 2012 or 13 back to racing stage.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

That was the idea, originally, but the lack of time has been a huge factor in why I didn't end up tracking the car.

You can, but it depends largely on how you quantify your return. I've run my car like a small business, picking up investors, and enjoying the end results. Media exposure and sponsors, to help establish a foundation for a future business, can help absorb some of the diminished returns you speak of.

Either way, this car has held its value exceedingly well and it was definitely a hell of a fun way to build a nest egg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzguy78 View Post
Very nice indeed and real jdm parts you put on your car. Props on your effort! But with our cars, it is really a bad investment because we don't get back or even close to what we invested in it, time, effort and esp Money. I've experience that with my RSX type S too when I sold it, that's why I will try to hold on as much as I can on my GR and my Evo.
Thank you, I appreciate it.

A car in general is a bad investment, but what you get out of it has its own subjective value.

Building a network of sponsors, friends and knowledge has enabled me to approach each build I take on with more confidence and greater ease.

There's nothing like knowing that when you purchase a new car, it's only a couple calls away to being back on your way again.

A lot of people question why people modify their cars, why to such an extent and with what parts.

For me, this has been a passion and a privilige; I really believe we see a lot of people in the community modifying for the sake of modifying because they believe it's the cool thing to do, not because they genuinely enjoy it.

If you look at my build, it's not insane. I'm not pushing 500awhp and I'm not dragging my frame every where I go. If anything this build was designed to demonstrate the ideology of quality over quantity. Yeah, there's some rare trinkets, but the vast majority of the components utilized were utilized because of their function and quality.

I'm really torn with the Subaru community, currently waging a war on Nasioc, with the obesession with cheap parts.

The goal isn't to make people who think eBay sourced knock-off parts are inferior, but to recognize the impact that the consumption of those parts has on our community.

If you continually emulate, you drive innovation in to the ground.

I can only hope that my build serves as an example of what building with purpose, direction and an attention for quality yields.

Last edited by TheLastSTI; 01-17-13 at 10:38 AM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-13, 12:12 AM   #14
bzguy78
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Car: SWP 11 STi,Evo 9
Fav Mod: Cobb Ap, Lathewerks knob, Greddy Sp elite
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

bzguy78 is an unknown quantity at this point

nicely said bro..
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-17-13, 09:49 AM   #15
GoodKnight
Advanced Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

GoodKnight is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastSTI View Post
A car in general is a bad investment, but what you get out of it has its own subjective value.
Well said! From a financial perspective, a lot of our toys are a very dumb thing, but it's very hard, if not impossible, to put a price on the enjoyment we get out of being car guys.

Quote:
I'm really torn with the Subaru community, currently waging a war on Nasioc, with the obesession with cheap parts.
Me too. What i hate the most is when knock-offs badge themselves as the real thing (i.e. putting RECARO on fake recaros).
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-17-13, 10:29 AM   #16
majik

Fav Mod: stage 2
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

majik is an unknown quantity at this point

You sir, should be a motivational speaker. I swear I was almost hearing the Allstate guy reading this to me hahaha
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-17-13, 11:30 AM   #17
TheLastSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzguy78 View Post
nicely said bro..
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKnight View Post
Well said! From a financial perspective, a lot of our toys are a very dumb thing, but it's very hard, if not impossible, to put a price on the enjoyment we get out of being car guys.

Me too. What i hate the most is when knock-offs badge themselves as the real thing (i.e. putting RECARO on fake recaros).
Thank you!

Agreed, it's hard for a lot of people to really quantify why we do what we do.

Personally, I've never found emulation to be innovative - on any level.

What's disheartening is the blatant disregard for the mentality that we, as a community, exude to our manufacturers and vendors.

If we demonstrate that quality holds no value, because it costs too much, how can we expect to have new quality parts developed?

We want quality, but we don't want to pay for it.

We want factory Recaros, but not the corresponding price increase on our Subarus.

This is the issue facing our community and to think we're so quick to call the Honda community a bunch of ricers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majik View Post
You sir, should be a motivational speaker. I swear I was almost hearing the Allstate guy reading this to me hahaha
Thank you, I appreciate it!!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-13, 03:26 PM   #18
TheLastSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Thank you for the support everyone, I appreciate it!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-22-13, 10:21 AM   #19
TheLastSTI

My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Pardon the double posts!

I've been looking into '13 MY Subaru STi sedans, they're pretty tempting!

There's a chance I might just drop out of the JDM scene though, it's just not what it used to be.

Either way, I believe I should've spent a little more time on this board, as opposed to Nasioc.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-29-13, 11:12 AM   #20
nufan4322
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Car: white 06 sti
Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

nufan4322 is an unknown quantity at this point

i just can't see myself selling my car ever. I know what you mean about fake parts. But for people who track and etc, fake or replica exterior parts to me is ok. I have trash many diffuser and front lips on the track and even local. I believe that exterior parts I am ok with. But with moving parts like suspension and etc, I trust companies like RCE and etc. Those people did the R&D and etc. Not all Japanese stuff are great sometime, cause they also take the easy way out and manufacture their stuff in China also. But it is sad that you are selling your car. I don't see myself ever selling my 2006 unless something happen to it. I always though about selling it and go to a gas saving car. Cause my car is just like your, used to drive it and track it a lot but now it is just sitting in a garage and only driven on weekend.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement