GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 93 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 07-16-18, 02:04 PM   #921
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Someone went to the shoe store...**

I ordered all the bits I think I need and most of it has shown up already. Will hopefully find some time to assemble/plumb it all.

Didn't go with PTFE-lined hose since only one style of Earl's fittings can be used with it so I opted for their Pro-Lite Ultra 350 which is reinforced and rated to 500psi.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-18, 02:09 PM   #922
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

So it's been a few weeks....

I have the FPR installed and plumbed to the fuel system, so I will leak-test tonight or tomorrow after I get the rest of the hardwiring done tonight. I ended up getting the iWire Services hardwire kit. Seems to be quality parts and worksmanship. The way they have the kit currently though, is not technically providing the benefit of true hardwiring at 100% operation, but providing more power to the pump while still using the FPC DCs. The previous version of the kit did bypass for 100% pump operation.

The modified lower mounts from Fortune Auto are still being made so no changes there, but will test-fit a wheel and tire when they arrive and get fitted. Aaron, I'll likely be keeping these coilovers since I should have more clearance, since I'm pretty sure you were waiting on me.

On to the big news though....the car will(finally!) hit the local dyno this Friday as Jason is coming out to tune some other customer cars, so it'll be a big dyno day. Will post more updates and some stuff from that day soon.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-18, 07:12 AM   #923
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Last night finally was able to leak-test. Glad to report that all is well and should be ready for tomorrow, no leaks! Once I got near a nominal base pressure, the car actually idled a lot better, which is one of the things I was hoping for. There's still a slight RPM dip but it's not as drastic as it was before, likely can be addressed tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-18, 08:47 AM   #924
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

you doing the dyno day tomorrow with Jason?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-18, 09:35 AM   #925
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Indeed, that is the dyno session I'm referring to.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-09-18, 12:51 PM   #926
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

oh i didn't see the response earlier. Have fun, i wish I could have made it but work.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-10-18, 09:50 PM   #927
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

8 cars in 8 hours! Then we did the roll race event. Gavin made good power for a stock turbo on gasoline, and on a Mustang Dyno. I didn't take a picture of the graph as I was busy, but I'll let him post it anyway.

We did have a 20G XT WRX (stock motor with head studs) hit 422whp, which excites me for a heartbreaker dyno.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-18, 01:26 PM   #928
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

What a day that was! The weekend was a blur it seems; very busy and a lot going on, so I didn't get time to post 'til today.

Considering the conditions, variables, and the tough dyno, not just mine, but everyone's cars did great and no one broke anything! It was great to finally unleash the car(and hear it rev over 4k!) and the EWG sounds better now that the MBC and EBC are working together.

I was both nervous and excited as the car was getting strapped in, but after the first couple pulls, I was more calm. Jason said that even just the first pull, AFRs were right on the money and the car felt good. Both the guys at SDR said that the car was doing well and pulled nicely and that mine wasn't getting heat-soak as bad as the other cars. My car took the longest since he didn't have any data other than break-in data, but it felt like my part of the day still went quick. At the end, we managed 300whp and 290wtq @ 20spi on an upgraded VF39/pump 93 and that was a tough dyno without the same airflow on the street, so we're thinking ~330-340whp is what it really is, and that's before E85. The better compressor wheel that PRE Tuning installed does make a difference, but the tune is where it all comes together.

After that, most of the group went over to RPM for some roll races. I did 4 rolls from 30mph and the car was great, even with shortshifting...it's fast. Then had some light fun through corners on the cooldown lap. With coilovers at only 6 clicks from full soft(forgot to try adjusting them), 22mm swaybars F/R, and super-old RE-01Rs, the car feels pretty flat and planted at probably 3-4/10ths speed; but I can't wait to go faster.

I got to ride in the SDR Charger Hellcat for a couple rolls. 1100whp?....yeah, it's insane. And he's planning on putting more power down.

There's plenty left to throw at the car, since this is a built motor and all. But as it sits, the car is a lot of fun already. There's some slight knock at a few spots under cruise, but the knock sensor may be too sensitive; there hasn't been knock under boost at all. Idle is better, but then we also adjusted idle on the AP for now, until the map can be tweaked a bit more. I will post videos and some graphs/data when I get them from others, so it's just pics for now.

It's incredibly rewarding to finally put the hard work, time, and resources spent on the STi to the test and have it pass successfully. I feel really good right now and it's a lot of worry off my chest.

Special thanks to Jason for his tuning, time, and expertise shared, to the guys at SDR Performance for the dyno time, knowledge, the facility, and the hard work of getting our group done on a hot day, and of course to IAG Performance for all the work done on my longblock.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 08-14-18 at 08:26 AM.
Likes 2 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-18, 06:21 PM   #929
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Yes, the weekend was a blur... Lots of fun though. I'd like to work something like this day again, but maybe not as many people in one shot so I can have more time per car. I do believe I gained a customer after Paul ran his car for a baseline on the tune he's been running from the previous owner and one of my cars did about 100 ft-lbs more torque on basically the same setup, except my car was still on the tiny stock GR WRX intercooler.

Here's a video of your last pull and a log of boost with that PRE upgraded VF39.

https://www.youtube.com/v/b86wxFm5i1E

Yes, the car did well from the first pull.... It's like I have done a map or two in the past. I had a lot of fun hanging out with all of you guys this weekend. I wish I could have chatted more at the dyno, but I kept engaged in the cars and setup.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 08-13-18, 09:03 PM   #930
Got2Boostit2
Moderator Elite
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Fav Mod: Hands down - Q Rack FTMFW Boy eee
My Subaru Parts for sale

Got2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to allGot2Boostit2 is a name known to all

"RE-01r" Get rid of them. See my Mid Ohio experience last year, lol.

"Lucille" is Sponsored by: Butler's Garage
Protune video
https://youtu.be/Xyx6G1yXqKc

If you have issues with moderation or other members, report the post or use the Private Support Forum to discuss. Located => https://www.iwsti.com/forums/private-support-forum/

Last edited by Got2Boostit2; 08-27-18 at 07:16 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement