GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 91 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 06-17-18, 07:10 PM   #901
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Someone went to the shoe store...**

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO View Post
No kidding... I just drove back from Helena, MT today. Today caps a 22-day work week and I'm currently on the phone with Zach (with The Blue Turd) troubleshooting how the car was wired to the AEM Infinity.
Holy....wow. You never stop.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-18, 07:12 PM   #902
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Damn double posts.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-17-18, 08:55 PM   #903
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

The AEM wasn't wired up properly... Zach is chasing that down as one PDF from AEM does not agree with what the AEM says when I load the pinout in the software.

Check you shared folder for a new map. Remove 2 degrees of timing, fire it up, drive it, give it a few pounds of boost. Get me a log of steady state cruise at various RPM's so I can make sure it falls in line. After that, I'll have you do a pull.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-18, 07:43 AM   #904
Leemanfor
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: EFR 7163 Turbo
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

Leemanfor has a spectacular aura aboutLeemanfor has a spectacular aura about

love those wheels. I really want a bronze set
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-18-18, 08:38 AM   #905
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

As for your clearance issue, I had to run 3mm spacers up front on my SHO with the CCW's. Without it, the locking collar was rubbing the tire.

Attached Thumbnails
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**-img_2244-jpg   Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**-img_2498-jpg  

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-18-18, 01:05 PM   #906
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks Jason, will do and I'll let you know once I have that data. Seems that Zach maybe had some AEM wiring diagrams that were different from each other then? That's annoying...

Thanks leemanfor!

As it sits the rear hub mounting body is taller in the rear than some other brands, which is why that locking collar can't be moved out of the way. And Blurred, you're right, the coilover used does make a difference; I'm finding that out the hard way. Looks like Ohlins, KW, and RCEs(KW, duh) all have 1-piece solid bodies. Your locking collar is way up there! Looking at a Google search...I didn't recall that it would be that high, but now I know for sure.

I really wanted to stay away from using spacers and obviously 3mm is probably what I'd use. At this point I'm going to try loosening the clevis bolts to see if the slot allows more play or if the bolt is all the way at the end of its travel; I can't recall how big the slots were before they were installed. I need to wait for Rick to get some free time to help, since it's easier with another set of hands.

So if I don't have more wiggle room, I have three options: 1)the least expensive and least hassle route - run 3mm spacers all around which makes these a +42 wheel but not really ideal, 2)expensive and time-consuming - uninstall these coilovers, sell them and get a set with a one-piece body design, or 3)really expensive and really time-consuming - sell the wheels and order off-the-shelf CE28Ns in 17x9 +40, which isn't really an option to be honest, considering how long these took to get...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-19-18, 01:27 AM   #907
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

Gavin, you could have some KW Competition 2A built by my buddy who works in the KW Competition department. 25% off as well! I could even test them on my car for you

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-19-18, 07:38 AM   #908
Kyle_05_STi
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Fav Mod: twinscroll
My Subaru Parts for sale

Kyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura aboutKyle_05_STi has a spectacular aura about

The wheels look fantastic, you should do whatever it takes (within reason) to make it work. I finally took care of the rubbing on my setup, so I'll pass the good luck on to you.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-19-18, 08:01 AM   #909
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Thanks Jason, will do and I'll let you know once I have that data. Seems that Zach maybe had some AEM wiring diagrams that were different from each other then? That's annoying...

Thanks leemanfor!

As it sits the rear hub mounting body is taller in the rear than some other brands, which is why that locking collar can't be moved out of the way. And Blurred, you're right, the coilover used does make a difference; I'm finding that out the hard way. Looks like Ohlins, KW, and RCEs(KW, duh) all have 1-piece solid bodies. Your locking collar is way up there! Looking at a Google search...I didn't recall that it would be that high, but now I know for sure.

I really wanted to stay away from using spacers and obviously 3mm is probably what I'd use. At this point I'm going to try loosening the clevis bolts to see if the slot allows more play or if the bolt is all the way at the end of its travel; I can't recall how big the slots were before they were installed. I need to wait for Rick to get some free time to help, since it's easier with another set of hands.

So if I don't have more wiggle room, I have three options: 1)the least expensive and least hassle route - run 3mm spacers all around which makes these a +42 wheel but not really ideal, 2)expensive and time-consuming - uninstall these coilovers, sell them and get a set with a one-piece body design, or 3)really expensive and really time-consuming - sell the wheels and order off-the-shelf CE28Ns in 17x9 +40, which isn't really an option to be honest, considering how long these took to get...
IMO, you need to decide which thing is more important and just do that even if it is a pain... If you don't do it the way you would want, you'll regret it, and possibly even have a do-over later. Personally spacers bug me because they seem like a bandaid rather than a true solution, and that kind of stuff just gets under my skin. Truthfully there is nothing wrong with a 3mm spacer, but its more the concept that eats at me. I've done spacers before and both times they drove me into getting a new set of wheels so I wouldn't have to use them anymore...

In other news, how are you liking those Fortune Autos (aside from clearance issues)? I'm thinking of picking up a set of 510s but I'd probably do 7k/6k since my car is a daily first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
Gavin, you could have some KW Competition 2A built by my buddy who works in the KW Competition department. 25% off as well! I could even test them on my car for you

Whoa... thats awesome, I'm a lil jealous. haha

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 06-19-18, 01:35 PM   #910
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Thanks Kyle! We'll see what happens.

Thanks Blue, what you say is true. The idea of spacers bugs me, but they can work. However, doing it the right way would likely be different spec'd CEs or different coilovers.

That said, at least on the street, the Fortunes are incredibly responsive and not harsh at all. I've ridden in other lowered cars with the cheap stuff and you can definitely feel the difference. I haven't had a chance to flog them around on track yet obviously, but with 9k/8k Swifts, 6 clicks from full soft on all 4, and the damping profile that 510s have, they are very good and on par with other brands in the price range. You can definitely feel how well they "blow off" near the end of compression. I would daily on these, but that's just me.

If it comes down to it that I decide to look at other options, perhaps we could work out a deal? These have around 3-400 miles on them. Basically new with original box and contents. Since you have 18" wheels, I'm fairly confident that you would clear the locking collar, but 17x9 +45 is too close as it is. You'd have no issues clearing the Fortunes with your +35 sets.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 06-19-18 at 01:38 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement