GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 89 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 05-08-18, 01:43 PM   #881
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Lives again, waiting for new shoes**

Brought the car home on Sunday. Was nervous going over there to get it, as I was worried I'd see some spots on the cardboard I laid underneath. Happy to report it was completely clean! Primed it, and it started right up with good pressure. Warmed up, then went for a ~20 mile drive to get a feel for it again. Compared to the ST, it's crazy how short the throw is and how heavy the steering is. Also the positioning of the gear shift is so much lower in the STi than the Focus; feels like I'm reaching down to the floorpan to shift. Had to get some planks for the end of the driveway though, since who knows when the street is getting repaired.

Was too exhausted Sunday night after having some people over for Westworld, so I didn't get down to change the oil while it was hot . I drained it last night though, and there were a lot less metal flecks in the oil sample and on the magplug, so hopefully that means things are wearing in nicely. Gonna send a sample out of course.

I also took a peek at the rear strut clearance aaaaaaannnd it looks like it's gonna be fucking close. There's just about 1/4" from the wheel lip to the locking collar, so at this point I'm not sure how well this is gonna go with the Volks. It'll be roughly a 3mm gap when mounted and with a wider shoulder on the RE-71R(I hear they are wide for a 255), I'm not entirely confident I'll have enough room to account for tire flex. Not gonna know until those damn wheels arrive though. Clearance isn't an issue up front though and the only thing I can think of right now is running spacers, which I very much want to avoid if at all possible. Looking at other coilovers, these 510s don't seem to be discernibly different from any other strut/locking collar. Raising the rear would move the collar out of the way but it would have to come up another 1/4" at the very least, and it's already high enough; the threaded strut bodies are already quite high in their total adjustment since the default settings from Fortune were way too low. I really hope I can run these wheels damnit.

Stay tuned.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-18, 02:33 PM   #882
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I just want to know when I can finish the tune...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-18, 03:44 PM   #883
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

I'll text you here in a sec.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-18, 03:46 PM   #884
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I won't get it until tomorrow.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-18, 04:00 PM   #885
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Sent you a PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-18, 06:21 PM   #886
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

I’m sure it’s in here, but do you have rear camber plates and camber bolts? To get as much clearance as possible out back with my JRZ’s, I use the camber bolts to push the strut away from the wheel and then get the negative camber back using the plates.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-08-18, 06:55 PM   #887
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yes, I have plates on all corners, but just the stock eccentric bolts on the front. I didn't even think of that for some reason...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-11-18, 04:15 PM   #888
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Yes, I have plates on all corners, but just the stock eccentric bolts on the front. I didn't even think of that for some reason...
While camber bolts can be a pain in the ass, they’re definitely the way to go if you need more inboard clearance. Especially if you’re already close to rubbing the fender.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-14-18, 11:27 AM   #889
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Although I am kind of concerned about the idea of running camber bolts; I don't really like that they can break...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 05-22-18, 02:21 PM   #890
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Talked to Fortune and they confirmed that the rear hub mounting brackets are slotted on the top like the fronts are, which is good. Hopefully can get more positive camber at the knuckle as well, but when I got underneath to look, I think the bolts are as far out in the slot as they can go, not sure. We'll see when I test-fit the wheels. But I heard back from KamiSpeed that my RAYS have hit the states last week, so paid the rest of what I owed them.

Been going for some drives with the nice weather, intermittently still have the oscillating idle. Got talking to Rick and I think I remember mulling over the idea of replacing the front O2 sensor; for some reason I forgot about trying that. So doing some research it seems others have similar symptoms as me, replaced their front sensor and BAM...working again. The car idled fine before the tune/taking it all apart so it has to be something different from those two events. I do remember that I didn't cover or place a cap on the sensor while it was off the car but was gentle with it, however I think it got fouled in that timeframe. So I ordered a new one and will be installing that ASAP to see if that is the fix.

Got this from Blackstone a few days ago. Good to see some reassuring data:
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement