IW STi Forum banner

Baron's '05 STi journal - **Car is gone, now have R34 GT-R :)**

152K views 1K replies 41 participants last post by  BaronOBeefdip 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings IWSTI! I am finally creating my journal after reading through so many awesome ones and being on here since early 2012. Long time coming...

I've been obsessed with cars as far back as I can remember, so I can't really get enough of 'em actually. I've also been a longtime follower of motorsports, including WRC, which is where the love for Subaru began. Watching the GCs dominate in the late 90's and GCs/GDs in the early 00's was so memorable. Then when I saw that the STi was coming to U.S. shores for the '04 model year, it was desire right there. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of the GDB chassis. I just knew I had to have one some day. I never gave up that dream and finally, in May of 2012, I was able to get one after an extensive search. I knew what I wanted, so I was on a two year hunt for an untouched, low mileage, one owner car with a clear history/title, and it had to be a fair price to boot!

I found the car the same day that Subaru of Gainesville had listed it on the internet and somehow, I was the first one to call about it. It had just over 28k on the odo, one owner, and was bone-stock. It wasn't listed more than 24hrs and after talking it over with the salesman, my mind was made up: I had to jump on this one because the price was remarkably fair compared to what the rest of the market was doing at the time. After working out a fair deal, it was shipped to me up in Nebraska, and it's been a joy to own ever since.....

Only problems were one wheel had some minor curbage and there were many bug marks permanently in the paint all over the front clip, because the owner did not like to clean I guess. After the flurry of getting things done right after the first month of ownership(it really needed a deep clean, since the previous owner did not care much, and the dealer's "detail" department was less than optimal in their work on it), I decided to fix the major cosmetic issues rather than put money into performance mods. I had the front bumper, hood, hood scoop, and trunk lid repainted. Also had some surfaces buffed and small dents removed. The rest of the car could use a good buff and there are a few small rock chips here and there that I will be touching up myself, but other than that, the paint and clear coat is in good shape and it's a damn perfect car. I am very particular and detail-oriented, so this translates to my car.

As for my plans with it, it's a nice weather toy only. My goals are pretty modest and not attention-grabbing, so to some of you my journal may be somewhat boring and the upgrades may be rather slow since I won't be dumping all my money into it(read: not abusing it and racing irresponsibly).

I have a pretty well-thought out mod path and I know most of the parts that I want to put into it(but suggestions are welcome), so whatever the best power gains from the best possible tuning, I will be happy with. When I'm done upgrading, I'm shooting for somewhere between 330-380whp, but it won't be the easiest to obtain 320 on the 39. I will NOT be going rotated or FMIC probably ever. I want to retain responsiveness and drivability, so I will be staying with the stock turbo as long as I can, as well as the TMIC orientation. I know there's really not that much lag involved, but everyone goes rotated and FMIC around here and I'm not really looking for huge power. I want to be a bit different. Who knows, I may eventually consider an 18 or 20G though; would love to have a ball-bearing turbo. Too bad VF34's don't pop up very often! Most everything else is fair game. I do plan on replacing or upgrading much of the chassis and suspension components relatively soon.

Whew! As I said my journal may be boring to some and it will take some time for parts to go on it, but I welcome discussions on anything and like to talk technical, so have at it! I'm over on that OTHER Subaru forum(NASIOC) with the same name.

More to come!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Baron's '05 STi parts list

The obligatory Mod List!

Red
= Don't have yet, but planned/want to buy
Orange = Pending/Waiting to go on the car
Green = Installed/completed
Blue = Old setup​

ECU
  • Cobb AP tuning by jazTuning
Engine
  • Rotella T6 5w-40
  • Motul 300V 5w-40
  • DEI Reflect-A-Gold - heat shield and TMIC
  • Block machine work, crank polish, dynamic balance, and assembly by IAG Performance
  • Head resurfacing by IAG Performance
  • Closed-deck conversion by IAG Performance
  • Powdercoating by Trail Performance - Papillion, NE
  • Headwork and valve job by Daly's Machine Co. - Omaha, NE
  • Turbo rebuild service, coated turbine housing, and upgraded billet compressor wheel by Pavel @ PRE Tuning
  • ARP 2000 head studs
  • Cobb 3-port EBCS
  • Cobb turbo heat shield
  • Cobb XLE BPV w/GrimmSpeed BPV gasket
  • CSF Cooling 3076 performance radiator
  • Denso U-Groove K20HR-U11 spark plugs - gapped to 0.027in
  • Flex Innovations grounding kit
  • GrimmSpeed manual boost controller
  • GrimmSpeed VF series wastegate bracket
  • IAG StreetSeries AOS system
  • JE ProSeal 0.039in headgaskets - 100mm
  • KillerB oil baffle tray
  • KillerB oil pickup tube
  • KSTech 73mm cold air intake w/AMSoil EAAU3570 cone filter
  • LIC Motorsports aluminum head plugs
  • King MB5382XPG main bearings
  • King CR4125XPGSTDX rod bearings
  • Manley Turbo Tuff 99.75mm 8.5:1 C/R forged pistons
  • Manley Turbo Tuff I-beam forged rods w/ARP 2000 bolts
  • Motive AutoWerks composite top-feed TGV deletes
  • New 06+ STi OEM oil pan
  • New OEM 10mm oil pump
  • New OEM water pump
  • New OEM Subaru crank pulley, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, timing components, brackets and other hardware/gaskets
  • PTP turbo blanket
  • Perrin throttle body coupler
  • Subtle Solutions alternator cover
  • Subtle Solutions radiator cover
  • Tomei timing belt guide
  • Tomei silicone turbo inlet
  • Torque Solution billet radiator stays
  • Torque Solution billet pitch stop arm
  • Turn In Concepts FU Cam bolts
  • Wix 57712 oil filter
  • AMR/ETS/Process West TMIC
Fuel System
  • '07 OEM STi top-feed rails
  • DeatschWerks DW301 340lph fuel pump - hardwired
  • Earl's Pro-Lite Ultra 350 hose and Earl's fittings
  • FueLab 51502 FPR and gauge
  • Injector Dynamics 1000cc injectors
  • iWire Services fuel pump hardwire kit
  • New OEM fuel filter
  • Tomei FPR adapter
Exhaust
  • All pre-turbo exhaust components coated by SwainTech - TBC-EX White Lightning coating
  • Blitz Nur Spec Touring CBE
  • GrimmSpeed PnP OEM exhaust manifolds
  • GrimmSpeed Hi-Flow crosspipe
  • GrimmSpeed Hi-Flow 38mm EWG uppipe
  • TiAL MV-S blue-top 38mm EWG
  • Tomei Expreme Ver.2(two-piece) bellmouth catless downpipe
  • GrimmSpeed/Tomei/Blitz gaskets
  • Cobb/Cusco/Kartboy exhaust hangers
  • IAG Performance/GTSpec/AMR/Tomei Expreme UEL(when/if new turbo is had)
Drivetrain
  • New Subaru OEM flywheel
  • South Bend Stage 2 Daily clutch kit
  • Subaru Extra-S 75w-90 gear oil
  • Subaru OEM LSD oil
Suspension/Handling/Chassis and Settings
  • Front camber - -2.0*
  • Rear camber - -1.7*
  • Cusco 22mm sway bar - front
  • Cusco 22mm adjustable sway bar - rear
  • Cusco front endlinks
  • Fortune Auto 510's Version 6 - 9k/8k Swift springs, rear adjustment extenders
  • Fortune Auto camber plates - F/R
  • Kartboy front and rear stay shifter bushings
  • Kartboy solid rear endlinks
  • Koyo sealed radial bearings - front
  • STi GrpN motor mounts
  • SuperPro RCA kit
  • Whiteline rear sway bar mounts
  • Whiteline PU sway bar bushings - F/R
  • Torque Solution shift linkage bushings
  • Whiteline/Cusco lateral links
  • Cusco/MSI trailing arms(if needed)
  • Replace all bushings with Whiteline/Kartboy/SuperPro PU bushings
Wheels/Tires/Brakes
  • AMS stainless steel brake lines - F/R
  • ATE Super Blue brake fluid
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R - 255/40/17
  • Cosworth Streetmaster brake pads - F/R
  • DBA 4000 ClubSpec T3 slotted rotors - F/R
  • RAYS Volk Racing CE28Ns - 17x9 +45 - bronze
  • RAYS 17HEX lugs - black
  • Advan Racing RGII wheels - 17x8.5 +50 - white - SOLD
  • Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R - 245/40/17
  • SSR Type C RS - 17x8.5 +48 - anthracite grey
  • WORK RS closed-end lugs - blue and red
Exterior
  • Bad Mutha's custom front plate delete w/Totsubo mounts
  • ChargeSpeed Bottom Line carbon fiber side skirts
  • ChargeSpeed Bottom Line carbon fiber rear skirts
  • JDM genuine S203 wing and repainted JDM STi trunk lid
  • JDM Subaru multicolor crystal ion fog lamps w/HeadLight Armor clear film protectors
  • JDM Subaru WRB fog lamp surrounds and covers
  • JDM genuine Subaru V-Limited lip
  • JDM-style taillight "mod"
  • Kansai Service carbon fiber diffuser
  • LED license plate bulbs
  • Matte carbon fiber-wrapped roof
  • Philips Xtreme Vision 85126XV D2R bulbs
  • RallyArmor UR black flaps w/grey lettering
  • Tein hood dampers
  • 35% front/20% rear tint
  • 4 inch blue vinyl windshield visor
  • Debadged except for a few STi badges and stars in grill
  • New weatherstripping on wing and hoodscoop
  • Lens restore and amber removal by Lightwerkz
  • ChargeSpeed Bottom Line Type 1 carbon fiber lip
  • PIAA H3 crystal ion bulbs
Interior
  • AutoMeter Sport-Comp digital gauges - boost, oil pressure
  • AutoMeter ES digital wideband AFR
  • FastWRX OEM-style dead pedal
  • JDM red hazard switch
  • JPM Coachworks black alcantara shift boot w/red stitching
  • Pioneer AVH-P1400 dual-din head unit
  • OEM-style WRXtra 52mm 3 gauge pod
  • WC LatheWerks titanium-blued shift knob(weighted!)
  • WC LatheWerks brushed stainless steel reverse ring
  • Those rare blue floor mats with the STi logo on them:D

#3 ·
Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

Nice car and sounds as if you have a decent plan to improve it. Good luck.

#5 · (Edited)

^Thanks guys!

On a side note, why oh why do CF lips for my fitment have to be so damn expensive?! And when I do find lips for fair prices, they're always 06-07! GRRR! I search for these all the time. They're hard to come by! BoostIt, where did you get yours??

#19 ·

^Thanks guys!

On a side note, why oh why do CF lips for my fitment have to be so damn expensive?! And when I do find lips for fair prices, they're always 06-07! GRRR! I search for these all the time. They're hard to come by! BoostIt, where did you get yours??
Cheap eBay plastic ones are what I get. They look good and are flexible, but if I do happen to mess one up, it's only about $80 shipped. The first one I bought happened to be a 2-piece lip and I did not like it and sold it for a 1-piece lip.

Went over to storage yesterday to run the car for a bit, started right up! No weird sounds, idled just fine. Pretty uneventful visit, but I guess that's a good thing!
If you don't plan on driving it to get the oil up to temperature, I would not start it to idle over the winter. You're likely doing more harm than good by introducing moisture into the engine. I don't start my cars when they are in winter storage. I do prime the motor prior to first start.

Just did my tax return today, looks like I'll be getting a pretty sizable refund back, woohoo!! Totally gonna splurge for some parts!! Will be updating soon on some decisions, so stay tuned!
Subscribed!

#9 ·

started right up! No weird sounds, idled just fine. Pretty uneventful visit, but I guess that's a good thing!
Sure is :) btw happy new year to you too. Oh and i forgot to mention i'm really liking that shift knob ... the blue tint is really nice. Bet it's smooth shifting too with the extra weight. ;)

#10 ·

Ha thanks! Yeah I love the color too, it looks great in that blue interior. Chris @ WC really is good at his craft. The shifting is buttery smooth due to that extra weight might I add...especially after adding the Kartboy front and rear stays. I'll be doing the other shifter bushings once I get 'er back.

#12 · (Edited)

Hey, thanks! No it's not a daily driver, just a nice weather car. I plan on doing some trackdays yes, but because I'm a motorsports enthusiast. Plus I gotta find somewhere to go fast! I don't have nearly as much time(or money,yet) as I'd like to devote to racing it in SCCA or running in autocross. Plus the girlfriend already thinks I spend too much time with it! Ya know how they are!

#17 ·

Got some other bits in the package today. If anyone has dealt with or ordered from More-Japan.com, all I can say is wow, they have good service. Jay D was a pleasure to talk to and he took care of me. Well-informed as well. Didn't feel at all like I was talking to some guy with no car experience. Gonna order up a Blacktop Aero CF lip in a few days.

#18 ·

Just did my tax return today, looks like I'll be getting a pretty sizable refund back, woohoo!! Totally gonna splurge for some parts!! Will be updating soon on some decisions, so stay tuned!

#21 ·

Wow, so I just looked and found out I made the 2013/14 member calendar!!! There are so many other really great photos and beautiful cars in there. Go buy one!

In the April set, I'm up in the right hand corner, with the side profile looking towards a curved road.

I feel so honored to be on there and helping to support the community! Such a cool feeling.

Onward towards spring....

#22 · (Edited)

Sold the Cusco camber plates since I've decided to go with Fortune Auto 510's with their own adjustable rear plates. They seem to get good reviews and they look like a setup I could benefit from, not to mention the warranty and craftsmanship! 8k/6k springs may be too rough for roads around here, but it's not my DD, so I think I can put up with it.

Also purchased some PnP and bead-blasted top-feed TGV deletes, since I will be converting in order to install the ID1000's later on down the line.

#23 ·

Damn, Ross is in need of some camber plates right now.

I agree, the road embarrassingly rough here. My KW's are sometimes too rough, although much nicer for comfort than anything else I've ever experienced in a WRX/STi.

Are you going to do the bump-steer and roll-center kit while you're at it?

#24 ·

Well crap, had I known that or posted on NebSub more often, I'm sure I would've sold them locally rather than go on NASIOC.

Yeah, there are even a bunch of potholes opening up right in my neighborhood. Hopefully they'll get patched up when it gets nice.

Actually, I had given it some thought. After all, lowering and decreasing camber angle will change the geometry. Roll centers help with correction of that, right? I didn't plan on lowering the car too much, maybe an inch in front, half inch in rear.

#26 ·

Well crap, had I known that or posted on NebSub more often, I'm sure I would've sold them locally rather than go on NASIOC.
I can see why you didn't post on NSOC, they're cheap-asses.

Actually, I had given it some thought. After all, lowering and decreasing camber angle will change the geometry. Roll centers help with correction of that, right? I didn't plan on lowering the car too much, maybe an inch in front, half inch in rear.

The bring the roll center back to near stock geometry. This isn't an STi, but it should give a good explanation with pics. Roll Centers

I didn't lower my car nearly much at all. I put taller tires on and give it a nice, but useable look. Growing up in AZ and having been all over the country many times over, Omaha, NE has some of the worst roads I've ever been on, so I like to retain my suspension travel.

Ok, so I found a real, brand new V-Limited lip for a price that I don't think anyone could pass up. I have been searching for one of these or something like it for quite a while now. Super pumped on this find. 2 more months til the nice season and going to the Wednesday night local meets!
Is it more than $80 shipped? Hate for it to turn into an authentic piece of trash. :lol:

#25 ·

Ok, so I found a real, brand new V-Limited lip for a price that I don't think anyone could pass up. I have been searching for one of these or something like it for quite a while now. Super pumped on this find. 2 more months til the nice season and going to the Wednesday night local meets!

#27 ·

Ha, I'll keep that in mind!!

That's a great write-up, pretty close to what I was thinking! Yeah, the tires that I have ready to go on with the SSR's are 40's and the ones on my stockers are 45's, so it shouldn't be too different in height. When I get the FA 510's on, I'm going to lower it slightly. Like you said, a nice but usable look. Yeah our roads are indeed shit.

Yeah, it's definitely more than $80 shipped, but I'm going to drive consciously that it's there, so I'll be avoiding the usual hazards that would bust it up.

#29 ·
Re: Re: Baron's '05 STi journal!! read: sloooow progress **winter hibernation**

Been looking at parts, watching videos, and reading lots of threads. Man, April can't come soon enough!!

Definitely going to a full exhaust straight away.
Gt spec headers and uppipe for sale! Pm or text for info! Subscribed cause im curious to see how you build this now.

#30 ·

Let me know when you're ready to do some work on your car. I can lend a hand on stuff as I like to have "tech days" every now and again. Your car is clean enough that I don't mind putting some physical work into. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.