GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 86 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 02-06-18, 06:17 AM   #851
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Break-in thang done, but done for season**

Thanks for the tip, uber. I agree with Blue though, that's a bit skinny of a tire on a wheel of that size. If you've noticed, I have coilovers installed now, but I'm hoping there aren't any clearance issues, like you quoted me saying...
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-18, 10:11 AM   #852
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Break-in thang done, but done for season**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Thanks for the tip, uber. I agree with Blue though, that's a bit skinny of a tire on a wheel of that size. If you've noticed, I have coilovers installed now, but I'm hoping there aren't any clearance issues, like you quoted me saying...
Super curious how it works out if either of you try it. I've been running 245s on 17x9 Mach V Awesome wheels which have an offset of 42 for a track set. With my T2's set to track stiffness I don't rub at all with -2 degrees camber in the rear. At -1.8 they rubbed a bit under hard g-outs.

I'd love to be able to fit a 255 RE-71r in there.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-18, 02:04 PM   #853
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Per recommendation from another person a while back regarding this matter, I'm going to try to go with -1.8* all around. According to someone with similar specs and setup on NASIOC, he was rubbing at anything under -1.8. So when I get everything and test-fit, if I have clearance and can go ahead and mount everything, I'll aim for that camber setting at the next alignment.

brapp, I forget, and without sifting through your journal...are you lowered very far? You're rubbing at auto-x hard exits?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-18, 03:12 PM   #854
blurred
Advanced Contributor Level 3

Fav Mod: GTX2867R
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

blurred will become famous soon enough

I don't know how much thicker, if at all your coilovers are to the tarmac2 but I can fit the 17x9.5 et+44 with a 255/40/17 r888 without rubbing on the inside. I have only a few mm of clearance, but it has never rubbed. The other area to look out for are the trailing arms, I also only have a few mm of clearance there.

I hear you on the focus recaro's I got a fiesta st for a daily and immediately bought a pole position abe so that I wouldn't have to sit on the sti seats anymore! It ruined it haha.

Old 03-09-18, 01:26 PM   #855
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I'm pretty sure the coilover package size for the Fortunes is relatively the same size that most others are, since I've had a few sets in hand over the years. The only thing that may be different is that the locking collars' OD might be a hair larger than a pair of locking rings. I opted for locking collars instead. Yeah I won't be as close to the trailing arms as you, but I hear ya.

The time is almost here for the STi to come out of the cave! I am finally close to pulling the trigger on a Kansai Service rear diffuser, so I'm talking with a couple sellers to get a good price shipped. Also sometime soon I'll be getting a pair of ChargeSpeed Bottom Line Type 1 side skirts and front lip. I love the V-Limited lip that I have on the car but it's too rare to take a chance scraping it on my driveway anymore. If I happen to scrape the CS one, yeah I'll be pissed but at least I know they're readily available to replace. I have no idea when the city is coming to repair the street I live on. This year has been the worst in recent years for potholes and the roads going to shit.

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 03-09-18 at 01:48 PM.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Old 03-12-18, 06:00 AM   #856
ben_der
Master Contributor Level 2

Fav Mod: Spec C Steering Rack
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

ben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of lightben_der is a glorious beacon of light

You could just buy a cheap V-Limited style lip.
I destroyed mine a couple a years ago and because racecar I just replaced it with the cheapest I could find
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-12-18, 06:13 AM   #857
BlueScooby
Silver Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_der View Post
You could just buy a cheap V-Limited style lip.
I destroyed mine a couple a years ago and because racecar I just replaced it with the cheapest I could find
+1 FOR THIS!

Ive been running one of those ~50-60 dollar ebay lips for years. broke one, and bought another... lol They look nearly identical at like a tenth the cost.

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-12-18, 06:35 AM   #858
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

I've only run an eBay lip and wouldn't do any different.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-12-18, 06:43 AM   #859
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

I actually looked closely at some pics comparing the Fortunes and some other coilover sets, and forgot to mention that the locking collars are actually smaller in diameter compared to the springs, so I'm kind of even more surprised at how close a 8.5" wheel with a +48 offset is. But I'm going off memory of how it looked at the time. I'll post a pic when I get the car back.

Yes yes guys, I know, haha. I'm still on the fence about it though, however it is just my driveway I'm worried about. I think I'm the only one in Omaha with that lip though(for a GDB at least). Once the street gets repaired, the overlay will come back up the end of my driveway about 1.5-2ft, making for a nice transition again. It's eroded away over the past few years :/
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 03-14-18, 09:50 AM   #860
brapp
Becoming A Master Contributor

Car: 2005 STi
Fav Mod: going from GR -> GD
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

brapp will become famous soon enoughbrapp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Per recommendation from another person a while back regarding this matter, I'm going to try to go with -1.8* all around. According to someone with similar specs and setup on NASIOC, he was rubbing at anything under -1.8. So when I get everything and test-fit, if I have clearance and can go ahead and mount everything, I'll aim for that camber setting at the next alignment.

brapp, I forget, and without sifting through your journal...are you lowered very far? You're rubbing at auto-x hard exits?
Oops missed this.

Not lowered very far... dropped about 20mm from stock height. Off the top of my head I want to say ride height is 14" front and 13.5" rear from hub center to fender.

At -1.8* I was rubbing only on very hard compression. It was a Time Attack event that was kinda like a big autox. But the point where I was rubbing I was coming off a banked wall (at PPIR, old nascar track) at about 70mph transitioning to a flat surface in a corner. So quite a compression force. I went up to -2* and haven't rubbed anywhere since.
Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement