GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed** - Page 85 - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com
STI Forum
Join
Start New Thread Create Account Advertise FAQ Members List Contact
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**
Go Back   STI Forums > > > GD: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Carbon bits installed**

Old 11-13-17, 04:31 AM   #841
BlueScooby
Premium Member
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Fav Mod: Recaro Pole Position and Shifter Bushings!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Break-in thang done, but done for season**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOBeefdip View Post
Looks like I may be getting my dream wheels after all! KamiSpeed opened up the GB again, almost a year later to try again since there's been a lot of interest. Me and two other people are in with deposits and it's only been a couple days!

These are 17x9 +45 CE28Ns in bronze. We'll see what happens with the strut clearance though, it's closer than I could've anticipated with the SSRs at the moment.
Yeah, ive realilzed +45 is really close if you want to go aggressive on summer tire sizing... Hopefully you don't have any clearance issues

Quote:
I've been getting quite used to the Recaros in the ST. So much so that it has me reconsidering the seats in the STi. Maybe I'll be looking into new ones for next season. But I plan on finally getting to a trackday after a tune is pinned down.
(
Interested in what you want to do seat wise. Even though I already replaced my drivers seat (3 times actually) I'm still not 100% sold (just because its a full bucket in a street car). I think that the ideal setup is to have a really good bolstered recliner, but that really limits choices if you want a "good" seat (not to mention they get pricey QUICK!)... I would probably go Bride Stradia myself but I just cant see dropping a that much coin on a single seat...

Bluescooby's 06 STI Journal
IG: BlueScooby06
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-17, 08:15 PM   #842
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Fav Mod: CE28Ns!
My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Baron's '05 STi journal - **Break-in thang done, but done for season**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScooby View Post
Yeah, ive realilzed +45 is really close if you want to go aggressive on summer tire sizing... Hopefully you don't have any clearance issues
Well what I'd REALLY wanted was to do a 9 inch wheel with a 255/40 tire. Obviously we all know that's the upper limit and sometimes, beyond the limit of what a GD can fit without fender mods, which is what I'm hoping to avoid. You and Blingstrom both have the 9 inch GTV02(I LOVE that wheel but sadly no bronze ) and have a 255? I suppose if I have to, I'd be open to a slight roll of the rears. The only thing I'm super concerned about is that strut clearance. With the 17x8.5 +48 of the Type Cs, I had roughly 10-12mm from wheel lip to spring perch on the Fortune Autos in the rear. I didn't really get up in there and measure, so I'll check when the car comes back home. Now, going to a 17x9 +45 obviously pushes the overall wheel outboard by 3mm, but then is negated by the 6.3mm -or, 1/4- gained on either side of the wheel. So basically I'd be ~3mm closer than where I am currently just on the wheel size difference. I think it still may be ok. But throwing on a 255-sized tire may be a totally different issue. Anyone out there with a 255 and 9 inch wheel let me know what tire/wheel you have and feel free to post a pic showing how far the tire extends past the wheel lip. I welcome any tips/feedback.

Quote:
Interested in what you want to do seat wise. Even though I already replaced my drivers seat (3 times actually) I'm still not 100% sold (just because its a full bucket in a street car). I think that the ideal setup is to have a really good bolstered recliner, but that really limits choices if you want a "good" seat (not to mention they get pricey QUICK!)... I would probably go Bride Stradia myself but I just cant see dropping a that much coin on a single seat...
Wow, three times?! I hear that though. But for what I want to do with the car, and after getting used to the Recaros, the stockers in the STi seem a little too....idk...bouncy? and not very bolstered. Bolstered recliners would be good, but like you said is a bit limiting and yes very pricey fast. Stradias are super nice, but a bit too expensive right now. I did just pick up a Sparco seat rail from Jason last week when I was out in CO. Need to put it to good use....

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 11-13-17 at 08:45 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-14-17, 12:30 PM   #843
willub
Advanced Mastery Level I
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Fav Mod: blouch 1.5 xtr!
My Subaru Parts for sale

willub will become famous soon enough

Very curious as to how you like the ST. I want another fun daily driver and want something other than a Subaru. Do you get much snow out your way?
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-17, 02:11 PM   #844
BlueScooby
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

BlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of lightBlueScooby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Well what I'd REALLY wanted was to do a 9 inch wheel with a 255/40 tire. Obviously we all know that's the upper limit and sometimes, beyond the limit of what a GD can fit without fender mods, which is what I'm hoping to avoid. You and Blingstrom both have the 9 inch GTV02(I LOVE that wheel but sadly no bronze ) and have a 255? I suppose if I have to, I'd be open to a slight roll of the rears. The only thing I'm super concerned about is that strut clearance. With the 17x8.5 +48 of the Type Cs, I had roughly 10-12mm from wheel lip to spring perch on the Fortune Autos in the rear. I didn't really get up in there and measure, so I'll check when the car comes back home. Now, going to a 17x9 +45 obviously pushes the overall wheel outboard by 3mm, but then is negated by the 6.3mm -or, 1/4- gained on either side of the wheel. So basically I'd be ~3mm closer than where I am currently just on the wheel size difference. I think it still may be ok. But throwing on a 255-sized tire may be a totally different issue. Anyone out there with a 255 and 9 inch wheel let me know what tire/wheel you have and feel free to post a pic showing how far the tire extends past the wheel lip. I welcome any tips/feedback.

Yeah I have 255’s on the right now but they are all-seasons so their tread width is less than a summer tire. I would be rubbing with 255 RE-71Rs... Im also currently running 5mm spacers on them right now to help keep from rubbing in the front under full lock (spacers on all 4 corners just to be clear...).

Quote:
Wow, three times?! I hear that though. But for what I want to do with the car, and after getting used to the Recaros, the stockers in the STi seem a little too....idk...bouncy? and not very bolstered. Bolstered recliners would be good, but like you said is a bit limiting and yes very pricey fast. Stradias are super nice, but a bit too expensive right now. I did just pick up a Sparco seat rail from Jason last week when I was out in CO. Need to put it to good use....

Yep! First time I switched to JDM V7 seats, which were awesome but because of the LHD/RHD swap you’re sitting, what seems, like a foot higher up and I just couldn’t stand that. Then I got a sparco EVO2 but it fit terribly, so I got rid of it and now have a Recaro Pole Position. I love the Recaro but some tracks/HPDE Orgs do not like a full bucket without a rollbar. Ideally, id have a very similar seat that actually reclines instead to negate this issue, but so far the Bride is the only one that seems worth the switch (but is super expensive)...

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 11-16-17, 06:11 PM   #845
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

BaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the roughBaronOBeefdip is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willub View Post
Very curious as to how you like the ST. I want another fun daily driver and want something other than a Subaru. Do you get much snow out your way?
I quite like it so far. Yeah we get usually get a lot of snow here in NE, but in recent seasons it's been drier than normal.

Quote:
Yeah I have 255’s on the right now but they are all-seasons so their tread width is less than a summer tire. I would be rubbing with 255 RE-71Rs... Im also currently running 5mm spacers on them right now to help keep from rubbing in the front under full lock (spacers on all 4 corners just to be clear...).
Good to know.

Quote:
Yep! First time I switched to JDM V7 seats, which were awesome but because of the LHD/RHD swap you’re sitting, what seems, like a foot higher up and I just couldn’t stand that. Then I got a sparco EVO2 but it fit terribly, so I got rid of it and now have a Recaro Pole Position. I love the Recaro but some tracks/HPDE Orgs do not like a full bucket without a rollbar. Ideally, id have a very similar seat that actually reclines instead to negate this issue, but so far the Bride is the only one that seems worth the switch (but is super expensive)...
I'm gonna look at seats sometime next season.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-18, 01:42 PM   #846
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Again it's been a long time since I updated...

Regarding the STi, the group buy for my dream wheels was successful, so I'll have beautiful bronze CE28Ns showing up to my door in a few months, just in time for the new season! Plan is to test fit and buy one tire first for mounting and test-fitting. Tires will either be Dunlop Z2s or RE-71Rs. The old rubber on the SSRs is getting trashed and then those wheels will be put in storage. No other plans besides maybe sorta kinda looking at some carbon bits for the exterior, a seat, and some track safety gear. I'm excited to get the car off the break-in tune and have some fun. I'll need to get another alignment once I get the new wider wheels on...more negative camber and to adjust for the slight increase in ride height.

Regarding the ST, things haven't been so great. Back on Dec. 19th, some dumbass decided to mess with me on the road and ended up swiping my front passenger corner, so it's been stressful dealing with the fallout from that situation. I'm still pretty upset about it because at that point I had the car for 2 months, and now it's had an accident. It's been fixed now by a local shop that does good work, but I have a few things that need to be touched up. About 9k in parts, paint, labor, etc. Oh and that same day a semi kicked a huge rock at my windshield and cracked it big-time. I hate my commute to work. Just sucks that I worked hard for a brand new car and it's been tainted already.

I had an oil analysis done on the break-in oil and it looks decent so far; looking forward to seeing what the next analysis shows. I also put Blizzak WS-80s on and they are a great winter tire; first time using them and I'm a fan. I'll be getting summer wheels for it, either OZ Superturismo, TSW Chicane, or Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 in some sort of dark color. Perhaps I should start an ST journal on one o' them fancy forums....

Other things I'm considering are some subtle exterior bits and maybe an AP for it as well. Not sure if I want to give Cobb anymore money...

Last edited by BaronOBeefdip; 01-19-18 at 01:46 PM.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-19-18, 07:45 PM   #847
yamahaSHO
BROtuner
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Car: 2005 WRB
Fav Mod: Equal Length Header
My Subaru Parts for sale

yamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant futureyamahaSHO has a brilliant future

Damn, sorry for to hear about the the STi. However, I want to turn up the STi already.

Anything job prospects out here?

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 01-24-18, 03:04 PM   #848
BaronOBeefdip
Advanced Mastery Level I

My Subaru Parts for sale

Yeah, I have terrible luck, everyone should know that by now. I look forward to doing that for sure.

I have honestly let that end slip. I need to update the resume for my current experience at Google and start looking at jobs again, but I'm sure there are some good opportunities.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-05-18, 11:55 PM   #849
uberdank
Becoming A Contributor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Fav Mod: Coming Soon
My Threads
My Subaru Parts for sale

uberdank is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

MotoIQ.com has a project 2005 STI that is running Advan TCIII wheels in 18x9.5 with a 45mm offset. They used a Falken RT615 K tire in 245/40-18 running that size without fender mods but they have additional clearance from KW coilovers compared to stock struts.
Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Old 02-06-18, 04:17 AM   #850
BlueScooby
Premium Member

My Subaru Parts for sale

Hmmm, 245 is a little skinny for a 9.5. That probably helps a bit too.

Likes 0 Dislikes 0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement